Ulster U17 (minor) Championship

Started by Itchy, May 03, 2018, 01:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

Dont think there is a thread on this.

Does anyone know what the format is as I see there are back door games of some sort in it this year.

Itchy

Quote from: the onion bag on May 03, 2018, 02:06:34 PM
I think it's the same format as the Nicky Rackard/Christy Ring competitions prior to this year.

Round 2 is Fermanagh v Cavan & Down v Tyrone. Winners go to the Semi Final and losers go into the qualifiers.
Qualifiers are Antrim v Monaghan with the winners to play Donegal & Armagh v Derry. Winners of these games play the losers from Round 2.
Semi Finals are win or bust and the winners of Round 2 are kept apart in the Semi Final draw.

So does that mean only the provincial winners progress or it is the same as minor last year with the winners and runners up going into All Ireland Quarter Finals?

Westside

Watched the TG4 highlights of the first round. Some difference in the physical conditioning of the players in the Donegal v Tyrone game compared to the Cavan v Derry game. Some of the Tyrone and Donegal lads could pass for U20s!

I read that's Fermanagh's first win at Minor level since 2003? Can that be correct?

Good win for our lads after a long evening of football. Much tougher to win now with the back door but it's a welcome introduction, too much effort goes in to be out in one game.

oakleaf93

Quote from: Westside on May 03, 2018, 04:41:28 PM
Watched the TG4 highlights of the first round. Some difference in the physical conditioning of the players in the Donegal v Tyrone game compared to the Cavan v Derry game. Some of the Tyrone and Donegal lads could pass for U20s!

I read that's Fermanagh's first win at Minor level since 2003? Can that be correct?

Good win for our lads after a long evening of football. Much tougher to win now with the back door but it's a welcome introduction, too much effort goes in to be out in one game.

I'm sure Fermanagh beat Derry at Celtic Park around 2011

Itchy

Good win for Cavan yesterday against a very decent Fermanagh team. Took a strong burst in last 10 mins to break the resistance.

In the other quarter final Tyrone overcame Down.

Derry trashed Armagh in the back door. I think Derry will have a say yet.

oakleaflad

We had a good win over Fermanagh to reach the semi finals. It's tough to say who will win as it really doesn't seem like there's much between the top 4 or 5 in Ulster this year.

Itchy

Semi finals are
Cavan v Monaghan
Tyrone v Derry

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Itchy on May 21, 2018, 12:34:21 PM
Semi finals are
Cavan v Monaghan
Tyrone v Derry

Dates/Venues? Is it the case that the curtain raisers from here onward will be the U20 fixtures?

Boycey

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on May 21, 2018, 02:55:55 PM
Quote from: Itchy on May 21, 2018, 12:34:21 PM
Semi finals are
Cavan v Monaghan
Tyrone v Derry

Dates/Venues? Is it the case that the curtain raisers from here onward will be the U20 fixtures?

Cavan Co Board twitter gave the date of Cavan/Monaghan clash as 30th June yesterday, no venue given.

Captain Obvious

Don't see any thread on this maybe lack of interest in this new competition or what? anyway a few U20 Ulster quarter finals was played tonight.

Armagh 2-14 Fermanagh 0-10
Tyrone 0-17 Monaghan 2-8

Armagh v Tyrone semi final now and will be played on June 8th

Captain Obvious

Great result for Armagh U20s tonight after a few extra time periods. Armagh 2-22 Tyrone 0-24.

Harold Disgracey

Great result, sounded like it was a cracking game.

general_lee

Few videos doing the rounds of a row, what happened there?

Throw ball

If football matches were always like that tonight then every county would need a ground the size of Croke Park. Two teams playing end to end. Great scores, missed chances; this game had it. Well done both teams and officials. Glad Armagh won!

tonto1888