Android Phone

Started by tbrick18, September 12, 2011, 09:09:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on April 20, 2015, 01:45:31 PM
OPO flip covers and screen protectors 75% off today only. Phone itself now able to buy 7 days a week.
I can't recommended the phone highly enough, especially at its price point, even accounting for the recent increase in light of the crap euro.

blewuporstuffed

I installed the new android update there the other day on my Sony Z3 compact and the battery life on it has taken a massive hit.
It went from easily getting a good day & a half out of it with normal use, to yesterday it going from fully charged in the morning to completely dead at 4 oclock having made no phone calls at all (recieved 1 1-2 minute call and had a few textx/whatsapps during the day)
Today agins, itw as fully charged over night and at the minute i am down to 24%and havent made a single all, just a few whatsapp messages
surely something is badly up there?
has anyone else experienced this with the new update?
Any suggestions of how to fix it? can I go back to teh previous version?I was more than happy with the phone before  :-\
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

deiseach

Having trouble with my Moto G, the second time in six months that a software update means I can't switch on the phone and they are playing awkward with the warranty. I'm not too bothered, it's not as if I spent big bucks on it. However, I get the feeling the time has come to spend bigger bucks (about €300) on a phone.  Anyone care to recommend the OnePlus One? Available for €249 without an invite. Argos are doing the L3 G3 for €325 and while I'm sceptical about 'half-price' it has had some great reviews.

NAG1

Samsung 6 anyone?

Time to change, had a Samsung 4 was happy with it but wondering if the 6 is a big enough improvement.

gallsman

Quote from: deiseach on August 20, 2015, 09:49:03 AM
Having trouble with my Moto G, the second time in six months that a software update means I can't switch on the phone and they are playing awkward with the warranty. I'm not too bothered, it's not as if I spent big bucks on it. However, I get the feeling the time has come to spend bigger bucks (about €300) on a phone.  Anyone care to recommend the OnePlus One? Available for €249 without an invite. Argos are doing the L3 G3 for €325 and while I'm sceptical about 'half-price' it has had some great reviews.

The OPO is an exceptional phone. I love mine.

However, if interested in saving yourself a few quid, check out the Vodafone Smart Ultra 6. There's a great thread about it on Boards - available for €175 and reviews so far have been exceptional. It's obviously not quite same level as the flagship phones, but probably the best value for money on the market. If not on Vodafone, you can buy an unlock code online for 3 or 4 quid.

deiseach

That does look tasty. I'm with Tesco and have found them very agreeable - a tenner topup does me for the month - but they don't have 4G. Thanks for that, gallsman.

laoislad

I bought that Vodafone phone to have as a second phone and its a very good phone for the price.
Bit heavier and bulkier compared to a Samsung etc but I cant fault it other than that.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

ludermor

Anyone go their hands on the One Plus 2?

gallsman

Quote from: ludermor on August 20, 2015, 01:22:24 PM
Anyone go their hands on the One Plus 2?

Nah. Don't think it's a big enough improvement to make me jump from the One. I love cyanogenmod on the One, and the lack of it on the Two is another big factor in why I wouldn't change up just yet.

pullhard

Due an update, currently got an s2, gone a bit slow lately. thinking of the s5, any use?

BenDover

Quote from: NAG1 on August 20, 2015, 10:48:42 AM
Samsung 6 anyone?

Time to change, had a Samsung 4 was happy with it but wondering if the 6 is a big enough improvement.

Wife got one of these this week, upgrading from an S3 Mini an impressive bit of kit and very easy to transfer the contents of the old S3 to this one. Battery wouldn't be the greatest but sure like most smartphones these days a daily charge is required.

tbrick18

Just recently got an Elephone P8000 through work.
Its basically a Samsung Galaxy Note, only a bit thicker and the chip not just as good, but its a top notch phone.
Battery life is amazing, I get about 2-3 days. 15M camera too which is nice.
I think they are about £160.

gallsman

Quote from: tbrick18 on August 28, 2015, 10:38:58 AM
Its basically a Samsung Galaxy Note, only a bit thicker and the chip not just as good, but its a top notch phone.

Read about this on Boards. Some people very keen on it. Would be interested in hearing how you get in with it over next few weeks!

deiseach

Quote from: gallsman on August 20, 2015, 11:45:18 AM
However, if interested in saving yourself a few quid, check out the Vodafone Smart Ultra 6. There's a great thread about it on Boards - available for €175 and reviews so far have been exceptional. It's obviously not quite same level as the flagship phones, but probably the best value for money on the market. If not on Vodafone, you can buy an unlock code online for 3 or 4 quid.

I picked up the Smart Ultra 6 last week and it is a cracking piece of kit for the price. The size of the phone is a matter of taste - I think the comfortable-to-hold ship sailed when I bought the 2nd gen Moto G - but almost everything else about it is fantastic. Vivid screen, huge amount of storage, lightning fast. The best part is the battery. I would be a heavy user (Father) and the battery sails through the day without going anywhere near 20%. If I had splashed out on a €300+ phone I'd have been sick to see this. Much obliged, gallsman.

tbrick18

Quote from: gallsman on August 28, 2015, 11:02:39 AM
Quote from: tbrick18 on August 28, 2015, 10:38:58 AM

Read about this on Boards. Some people very keen on it. Would be interested in hearing how you get in with it over next few weeks!

I have to say, its a really good phone. The only minor issue is that if you have wifi access and data on at the same time, it seems to get a bit confused as to which to use and so pages can hang when browsing. However, switching one or the other off resolves this.
The styling of the back cover of the phone leaves a bit to be desired too (its a bit like a disco ball), but all in all I'm very happy with it.
I had a Galaxy S4 before it, and I rate this as a much better phone.