Android Phone

Started by tbrick18, September 12, 2011, 09:09:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gerrykeegan

Anyone take the new Jellybean 4.2 update on the Samsung 3 with Vodafone. I have a pain in my hole with it. It tells me about every 5 minutes that I have downloaded 20 or so pdf files in the notification screen, Cannot get rid of it.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

pullhard

Contract is up shortly and i'm due an upgrade. I've had an S2 for two years. Happy with it, still seems as quick as it every did. Battery is terrible but always has been.

I've had a play with the latest phones, some of them are huge! I quite like the S5 mini, battery is suppose to be decent and its waterproof, so the salesman says.

Anyone got any experience of living with this phone?

gerrykeegan

I have the s5 (not the mini) it's a cracking phone, not having to charge your phone every other minute is a joy, Camera excellent, only small bug is it has two different charging spots, side by side, I think one is for a new faster charger (I don't have) because of that it is fiddly to get the lead into the slot.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

gallsman

If getting an Android, get a Nexus. Cheaper than flagship phones from HTC, Samsung etc with 90% of the specs and the best software. Better to buy outright and move to a SIM only contract.

Alternatively, if you could figure out how to get your hands on a OnePlus One, it's pretty much the best phone on the market at an unbelievably good price.

armaghniac

Quote from: gallsman on September 25, 2014, 05:37:05 PM
If getting an Android, get a Nexus. Cheaper than flagship phones from HTC, Samsung etc with 90% of the specs and the best software. Better to buy outright and move to a SIM only contract.

Alternatively, if you could figure out how to get your hands on a OnePlus One, it's pretty much the best phone on the market at an unbelievably good price.

In a similar view the Moto G or even Moto X are great possibilities, Motorola were owned by Google and you get the latest unembellished Android.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: armaghniac on September 25, 2014, 06:13:12 PM

In a similar view the Moto G or even Moto X are great possibilities, Motorola were owned by Google and you get the latest unembellished Android.
The moto G is fantastic for a buget smartphone. At around 100 quid PAYG you cant go wrong
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

gallsman

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on September 26, 2014, 10:36:21 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on September 25, 2014, 06:13:12 PM

The moto G is fantastic for a buget smartphone. At around 100 quid PAYG you cant go wrong

Agreed. Better value for money than the Moto X in my opinion. They've just released an updated version of the Moto X that has been met with mixed reviews.

pullhard

what the battery life like in the moto g?

I was thinking about carrying on with the s2, replacing the battery suppose to be some high capacity job thats business. Getting a sim only deal

deiseach

Assuming you are not watching Netflix while out and about, you should get a day out of the Moto G battery.

armaghniac

I've had a Moto G and while on holiday earlier in the summer I was happy with the battery life which with a bit of care was lasting all day while checking maps, gaaboard etc. My perception is that the battery life is now declining a tad after 8 months. Not sure about the new version which has bigger screen which presumably uses more juice.

They also have a dual sim version, which could be very handy, e.g. get a northern and southern sim or have one for data and one for calls, or one for calls to the wife and one for the girlfriend.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

deiseach

Quote from: armaghniac on September 26, 2014, 12:05:17 PM
I've had a Moto G and while on holiday earlier in the summer I was happy with the battery life which with a bit of care was lasting all day while checking maps, gaaboard etc. My perception is that the battery life is now declining a tad after 8 months. Not sure about the new version which has bigger screen which presumably uses more juice.

Some holiday! ;)

laoislad

Anyone ever buy one of those Chinese Android phones?
There's a thread on boards.ie and a lot say some of them are great phones.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

gallsman

Quote from: pullhard on September 26, 2014, 11:30:51 AM
what the battery life like in the moto g?

I was thinking about carrying on with the s2, replacing the battery suppose to be some high capacity job thats business. Getting a sim only deal

I'd splash out on a new one to be honest. The S2 is the best part of four years old at this stage and will seriously struggle to run Android L, which is claimed to have a huge improvement in battery life. At least that's what Google say. They did have a specific team working on it in fairness to them.

gallsman

Quote from: laoislad on September 26, 2014, 12:29:22 PM
Anyone ever buy one of those Chinese Android phones?
There's a thread on boards.ie and a lot say some of them are great phones.

The OnePlus One is pretty much the best Android phone you can('t) get your hands on at the minute and the value is unreal.

As for the other Chinese phones, a guy in work paid less than €110 for a Galaxy S4 imitation and it worked perfectly for him for about 18 months until he bought a Moto G. I imagine some of them are hits and some are misses.

pullhard

where can these Chinese copies be found?