McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoG2

Quote from: An Watcher on January 22, 2023, 10:45:03 AM
I remember when Tyrone were playing like that a few years back.  It's turgid stuff and Tyrone were sweeping all before them in ulster but doing nothing in croke Park.  Had to change and struggled a bit more in ulster but were able to win an all ireland on the back of it.  Interesting to see if derrys style works against the big teams in croke Park.

We definitely mixed it up last night with alot more early ball in and it worked well overall.
Overall Derry's style differs very little to every other county in the country.

Blowitupref

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

lurganblue

Possibly 3 games in a week... 3rd, 7th and 10th.  Fairly trying to rattle this off.

tbrick18

Any fixtures confirmed yet?
Section A looks tasty.

Dreadnought

Quote from: tbrick18 on December 14, 2023, 09:35:25 AMAny fixtures confirmed yet?
Section A looks tasty.
They said last night that fixtures would be confirmed in the coming days

Goals_Will_Come

Quote from: Blowitupref on December 14, 2023, 02:26:27 AMNext months draw done.

Hard to see past Mickey Harte winning his 13th McKenna cup.

Itchy

Quote from: Goals_Will_Come on December 14, 2023, 11:16:21 AM
Quote from: Blowitupref on December 14, 2023, 02:26:27 AMNext months draw done.

Hard to see past Mickey Harte winning his 13th McKenna cup.

Especially if Derry are paying a substantial win bonus.

Wildweasel74

Derry play a reserve team, no point full out to halfway through the league.

Armagh18

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on December 14, 2023, 07:54:37 PMDerry play a reserve team, no point full out to halfway through the league.
Have you ever seen the teams Harte put out for Tyrone? He be looking the Glen lads to tog out for McKenna cup ffs lol

ONeill

Time to take the McKenna cup back to Augher. It was named after Eugene's performance in the 84 Ulster semi-final and on the 40th anniversary of that it's only apt.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Itchy

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on December 14, 2023, 07:54:37 PMDerry play a reserve team, no point full out to halfway through the league.

Not anymore

Estimator

The Derry and Tyrone line ups from the Group Stage match last year - not the Final!

Derry: O Lynch; M Doherty, E McEvoy, C McCluskey; C Doherty, G McKinless, P McGrogan; P Cassidy, B Rogers; N Toner, P Cassidy, N Loughlin; B McCarron, S McGuigan, L Murray.
Subs: O McWilliams for Loughlin (27), D Cassidy for Doherty (38), A Tohill for McCarron (42), N O'Donnell for D Cassidy (60)

Tyrone: B Gallen; N McCarron, C Munroe, P Hampsey; C Quinn, P Harte, N Devlin; B Kennedy, R Donnelly; C Meyler, C Kilpatrick, N Sludden; C McShane, M Donnelly, D Mulgrew.
Subs: M McKernan for Quinn (h-t), K McGeary for Sludden (42), E McNabb for Mulgrew (58), D Canavan for M Donnelly (58), F Burns for R Donnelly (72)

Those in bold played some part in their respective Championship games against Kerry in the QF and SF.  Those numbers would increase if I'd selected the final instead. And obviously Tyrone had some players who departed between this game and the C'ship, who otherwise may have played a role later on.
Ulster League Champions 2009

tbrick18

Hard to know what approach Harte will take.
He typically went out to win every game regardless of competition.
We'll be without the glen lads and maybe some of the Slaughtneil lads with their extended run in hurling, but I'd expect Harte will name the strongest side available to him with maybe 1-2 fringe players starting.
He'll see these as games to use to settle the team before a return to div 1 football rather than games to assess new blood I think.
Personally, I couldn't care less if we qualify out of the group or win the mckenna cup, I'd just want to see a game plan coming together and I'd love to see a new forward or two stepping up. Perhaps Lachlan Murray's year?

All that aside, there'll be huge interest in these games as it's Harte's first outing in Derry colours. Everyone will be hoping for Derry v Tyrone at some point, McKenna cup could be the first taster session.

Itchy

Any word on games being streamed?

Blowitupref

Quote from: tbrick18 on December 14, 2023, 09:35:25 AMAny fixtures confirmed yet?
Section A looks tasty.

Round 1: Wednesday 3rd January 7.30pm

Section A: Donegal v Armagh at Ballybofey

Section B: Cavan v Derry at Kingspan Breffni

Section C: Monaghan v Antrim at Castleblayney

Round 2: Saturday 6th January 6pm

Section B: Derry v Down at Owenbeg

Round 2: Sunday 7th January 1pm

Section A: Tyrone v Donegal at O'Neills Healy Park

Section C: Antrim v Fermanagh at Ahoghill/Portglenone TBC

Round 3: Wednesday 10th January 7.30pm

Section A:  Armagh v Tyrone at Box-It Athletic Grounds

Section B:  Down v Cavan at Páirc Esler

Section C: Fermanagh v Monaghan at Brewster Park

Semi Finals 13th/14th January

Final 20th January
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose