Ros v Dubs tomorrow

Started by The Hill is Blue, May 27, 2023, 03:59:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Rossfan on May 29, 2023, 08:37:31 AM
Apologies to Dublin GAA, Central GAA and all the Dublin fans for daring to play the first half on our terms, for leading at half time, for coming back to draw the game, for refusing to know our places and upsetting ye're normal day out by not rolling over and letting ye win.

WE ARE ROS💛💙
Roscommon should make zero apologies for how they played and how they setup, hilarious that the Dubs are affronted to the point of booing a seemingly endless phase of possession, they invented this style.

Rossfan

Quote from: Hound on May 29, 2023, 09:10:20 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 29, 2023, 08:37:31 AM
Apologies to Dublin GAA, Central GAA and all the Dublin fans for daring to play the first half on our terms, for leading at half time, for coming back to draw the game, for refusing to know our places and upsetting ye're normal day out by not rolling over and letting ye win.

WE ARE ROS💛💙
Yis threw that away.
We were glad to get the draw in the end. Ye butchered a few opportunities near the end.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Fuzzman

Was at this game yesterday and was very impressed by the Rossies. They totally frustrated Dublin in the first half but I feared after Dublin got their usual first goal that they would kick on and dominate.
However Roscommon stayed calm and fought their way back into it.
Dublin were poor but was that cos Roscommon made them look poor.
They will give plenty of teams a hard game.

The Hill is Blue

A great performance by Roscommon yesterday. But surely no one can be surprised by this. They are a strong team who have battled it out with the top teams in the country over the past year and who came to Croke Park well prepared for the game. They came up against a Dublin team who had not been exposed to the required level of intensity for some time - and yet in the end Roscommon were lucky to get away with the draw. It may be that this will be the closest Roscommon will get to Dublin for some time.   

I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Hound

Quote from: sensini on May 29, 2023, 12:58:20 PM
If Donie Smith had his shooting boots would have won that handy. Referee gave little frees in second half to Roscommon.  Someone in Croke Park must have changed the Referee at HT because wasn't looking after the dubs 🙄
Yawn.

Setting up a second account to post about a game you didn't even watch.

Enthralling stuff 🙄

Captain Obvious

Quote from: onefineday on May 29, 2023, 12:10:28 AM
The complaint from me as a neutral is that I have to watch that shite and that the gaa won't do anything to limit it and the packed 15 man defence.
Game after game it's the same rubbish, cat and mouse for 50 mins of keep ball and if we're lucky a game then breaks out.
And that's at the top level, what's even worse is club football right around the country, where this non contact hybrid between rugby league and basketball is beginning to dominate. Intercounty we can just about cope with given the athleticism and invention that we can witness, but at club level, it's usually entirely unwatchable and not exactly fun for the participants either.

Out of interest what was your thoughts on the recent Ulster final?  I'd agree with this recent discussion with Michael Foley,Enda McGinley skip to 55.55.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb9jyjSh6hI

highorlow

QuoteOut of interest what was your thoughts on the recent Ulster final?  I'd agree with this recent discussion with Michael Foley,Enda McGinley skip to 55.55.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb9jyjSh6hI

Ourselves and Dublin are to blame, everyone want's a repeat of our great games all the time. Yer man Foley needs to buy a shed or make some attic space for himself.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Blowitupref

Quote from: Captain Obvious on May 29, 2023, 02:20:04 PM
Quote from: onefineday on May 29, 2023, 12:10:28 AM
The complaint from me as a neutral is that I have to watch that shite and that the gaa won't do anything to limit it and the packed 15 man defence.
Game after game it's the same rubbish, cat and mouse for 50 mins of keep ball and if we're lucky a game then breaks out.
And that's at the top level, what's even worse is club football right around the country, where this non contact hybrid between rugby league and basketball is beginning to dominate. Intercounty we can just about cope with given the athleticism and invention that we can witness, but at club level, it's usually entirely unwatchable and not exactly fun for the participants either.

Out of interest what was your thoughts on the recent Ulster final?  I'd agree with this recent discussion with Michael Foley,Enda McGinley skip to 55.55.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb9jyjSh6hI

I'd agree we had plenty of good matches already this year. The Ulster final was "intriguing" watch and I'd much prefer that competitive draw contest in Croke Park yesterday than blow out Leinster final whereby Louth set up so poorly defensively.   
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

The Hill is Blue

What shouldn't be forgotten about yesterday's game was that during Roscommon's dominant first half Dublin lost their firsr-choice full back (and regular scorer) David Byrne after 9 minutes and Mick Fitzsimons spent 10 minutes sitting in the sand.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

inroundthesquare

The shots Fenton and Dean Rock dropped short in the last few minutes really were terribly executed.
Thought it was strange Dean Rock going to grab the ball for that free - Costello had at least been striking them well. Rock's free taking has dropped off a cliff in the last year or two.

thewobbler

The first half of that match was maybe the first sporting occasion yet that would have been more entertaining if interrupted by a Just Stop Oil protest.

I can understand why Ros set themselves like that, which means I can hold the usually mutually exclusive positions of having absolute respect and total hatred for it at the same time.

At the same time I'm glad they didn't win. I just can't cheer for an underdog who runs away from the scrap.

The rules around possession need to change, simple as that.

——

Dublin were interesting yesterday. They weren't for wasting energy unnecessarily. It probably says more about the format of the competition than anything about them.

Rossfan

You sound like a right misery guts ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

thewobbler

Quote from: Rossfan on May 29, 2023, 09:38:10 PM
You sound like a right misery guts ::)

No. Just frustrated at Gaelic Football. Senior county football looked like it was turning a corner not so long ago. But with Rory Gallagher's reemergence, and now Armagh and Roscommon determining that the best way to progress is by removing any potential for mistakes, we are about to take a giant step backwards again in Jimmy McGuinness land.... Unless the rule makers step in.

larryin89

Roscommon have done nothing wrong , they got a draw out of it . Like mayo though and even worse than Mayo , Dublin let Roscommon dictate the game on their terms . I don't understand the press tbh if your pressing space , Dublin pressed but then stood back when within a yard , perhaps I'm naive to the modern game slightly but what is the point in the way Dublin tried to disrupt Roscommons possession game by not disrupting it , in the first half , I thought it was just pure daft .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

weareros

Don't get the possession criticism. In the past, Dublin would have waited until Ros ran into trouble or kicked a low percentage ball. Dublin would then counter attack at speed - repeat and rinse - and we'd lose by 20 points. Soccer has possession, American football teams can go on a drive that takes 10 mins off clock, rugby likewise. All Ros possessions ended with an attack and some brilliant points were scored.If teams are going to keep 15 back, smart teams will not play like suckers into their hands until teams can be drawn out. Possession is the effect; blanket is the cause. That said: Dublin were the masters at this. They held possession to play down the clock in defeating Mayo in 2017. Anyway proud of our lads. But credit to Dublin too - would not underestimate them come later stages. Lot of football to be played yet.