Your most memorable GAA Inter County game not involving your own county.

Started by anportmorforjfc, May 18, 2023, 09:40:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

onefineday

Sticking to games actually attended as the stadium experience adds so much and any watched on the box pale in comparison.
On that basis think probably Armagh v Tyrone 2005 semi-final takes first spot - the intensity of the game and tension in the crowd were second to none.
Mayo v Dublin 2017 AIF a close second, if only they'd managed to win what was surely their best chance?
And third whilst not strictly a county game, that 1989 mccrory cup final was incredible stuff in my hazy memory of it - given Derry and down won three all Irelands in the next 5 years, how many future all Ireland winners were on show that day?

thejuice

Mayo vs Dublin in 2006(?) when Mayo warmed up in front of the Hill. The atmosphere was like nothing I've experienced in any other sport. Every handpass, kick and turnover was cheered. I was on the Cusack near the Hill with a load of Mayo fans to my left and the Hill to my right. Incredible. McDonalds point was just sublime.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Armagh18

Quote from: thejuice on May 22, 2023, 09:11:47 PM
Mayo vs Dublin in 2006(?) when Mayo warmed up in front of the Hill. The atmosphere was like nothing I've experienced in any other sport. Every handpass, kick and turnover was cheered. I was on the Cusack near the Hill with a load of Mayo fans to my left and the Hill to my right. Incredible. McDonalds point was just sublime.
Unbelievable. Those Dublin/Mayo battles as well have to be up there.

tonto1888

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on May 20, 2023, 12:45:59 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on May 20, 2023, 12:40:44 PM
As an Armagh man it would be easy to say the 02 final but I'm gonna go for the 99 Ulster final. First ulster win in can remember - I was born in 1980 so don't remember 82 - and just to be there that day was class. The fact we hammered the neighbours topped it off
Christ the night  ::)

I read the title of the thread wrong haha

Ethan Tremblay

Kerry v Mayo 2014 I think it was. Proper end to end stuff, two teams going he'll for bells.
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

clonian

I'll go with Dublin & Kerry last year. First time I took my sons down for a match, Down haven't gave us many reasons for a day out lately.  They were loving Clifford running riot in the 1st half, the Dub come back made the atmosphere and then Seanie's free to win it.

On the TV, Cork doing the double in 90 was the first one I remember watching fully, that stands out. Armagh's win stands out too, I was all for them to win and as soon as the whistle went it was 'we're going to have to listen to some shite now' ;D - a year later I was fully behind them again against Tyrone. Was cheering Tyrone on against Kerry in 05, Down minors were on before - good atmosphere that day too.

Worst one I was at was Kerry v Cork 2009 - absolutely dead

johnnycool

1987 Munster hurling final, Tipp v Cork in Thurles.

Tipp were on the verge of breaking an almost 20 years of a barren spell of no Munster titles, Cork were reigning AI champions going into the game.

As a 14yo don't remember much about the actual game itself, remember getting up at 5 in the morning with my Da, an Uncle and an older brother, driving round the road as we call it as the ferry boat wasn't on so had to head north to Belfast before heading southbound. Going through the Army checkpoint outside Newry onto the old Dublin road through loads of wee towns, Dundalk, Drogheda etc etc before heading inland at some point, 7 plus hours I think it took before we got to Thurles.
The throngs of people in Liberty square, going over the railway bridge to the ground was something else, getting through the turnstiles was all a new experience for me, then into what was called the new stand back then.
There was an U16 game on beforehand, two regional Clare teams playing out in their Munster final, then to see John Fenton run out in the flesh along with Nicky English and Pat Fox was unreal. The cheers that rang round when both teams sprinted out onto the ground was something else and as the game ebbed and flowed one minute the chant of "Tipp, Tipp, Tipp" would ring round the place followed by an equally loud "Cark, Cark Cark" sticks in the mind.

The game was over in what seemed like a flash and ended in a draw, but it being my first (of many thereafter) it sticks in my mind and will never be equalled.

The journey home I don't remember at all, my recollections ended with the final whistle.

seafoid

Quote from: johnnycool on May 23, 2023, 09:22:11 AM

Tipp were on the verge of breaking an almost 20 years of a barren spell of no Munster titles, Cork were reigning AI champions going into the game.

As a 14yo don't remember much about the actual game itself, remember getting up at 5 in the morning with my Da, an Uncle and an older brother, driving round the road as we call it as the ferry boat wasn't on so had to head north to Belfast before heading southbound. Going through the Army checkpoint outside Newry onto the old Dublin road through loads of wee towns, Dundalk, Drogheda etc etc before heading inland at some point, 7 plus hours I think it took before we got to Thurles.
The throngs of people in Liberty square, going over the railway bridge to the ground was something else, getting through the turnstiles was all a new experience for me, then into what was called the new stand back then.
There was an U16 game on beforehand, two regional Clare teams playing out in their Munster final, then to see John Fenton run out in the flesh along with Nicky English and Pat Fox was unreal. The cheers that rang round when both teams sprinted out onto the ground was something else and as the game ebbed and flowed one minute the chant of "Tipp, Tipp, Tipp" would ring round the place followed by an equally loud "Cark, Cark Cark" sticks in the mind.

The game was over in what seemed like a flash and ended in a draw, but it being my first (of many thereafter) it sticks in my mind and will never be equalled.

The journey home I don't remember at all, my recollections ended with the final whistle.
Class. The Tipp revival was very emotional. Nicky English epitomised it. And that was a great Cork team. At the time they had the most all Irelands. Pre Cody.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

Quote from: seafoid on May 23, 2023, 12:10:20 PM

Class. The Tipp revival was very emotional. Nicky English epitomised it. And that was a great Cork team. At the time they had the most all Irelands. Pre Cody.
I was watching a bit of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2usdEZ5gsBg

At the time in 87 Tipp had been lost in the desert for 16 years.
Cork have been lost now since 2005, meaning for longer. It is hard to believe.

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on May 23, 2023, 01:02:23 PM

AI's you mean, Cork have won Munsters in 2017 and 2018, Tipp hadn't won a Munster for 16 years back then. It took them to 89 to win an AI

seafoid

Quote from: johnnycool on May 23, 2023, 01:54:30 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 23, 2023, 01:02:23 PM

AI's you mean, Cork have won Munsters in 2017 and 2018, Tipp hadn't won a Munster for 16 years back then. It took them to 89 to win an AI
All Irelands, yes. Cork are still a long way off. Even Kilkenny are building a long stretch. Tipp got close in Munster in 84 as well

statto

Was fortunate enough to be at a couple of the Mayo/Dublin games in 2016/2017 unreal atmosphere, tension and drama.  At the drawn game didn't think I was ever as disappointed as a neutral that one team didn't win was devastated for Mayo. 

Taylor

Main Street

Strange as it might appear but Tyrone in 2008,  the absolute transformation of their game that year and how they started the 1/4 final v Dublin, after a few minutes you just knew that they knew they were in the groove and had Dublin all wrapped up.
I still hate the cnts but sometimes you gotta hand it to them.