Kerry v Mayo - AI Senior Championship - R1 - Fitzgerald Field - Sat 20th 3pm

Started by highorlow, May 15, 2023, 10:53:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

I move O:Shea to cornerforward, he's a good scorer but been bad a few yrs now.

square_ball

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 21, 2023, 12:04:43 AM
I move O:Shea to cornerforeard, he's a good scorer but been bad a few yrs now.

A very good free taker. Beyond that doesn't offer much more at the minute.

larryin89

Quote from: square_ball on May 21, 2023, 07:57:20 AM

This satire ?
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Piskin

I move O:Shea to cornerforward, he's a good scorer but been bad a few yrs now.

Or maybe full-forward, if it doesn't work then he must be dropped as he is bringing nothing other than frees & 45s which he is missing more off since 2019.

square_ball

Quote from: larryin89 on May 21, 2023, 11:06:21 AM

This satire ?

No.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 20, 2023, 05:45:53 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on May 20, 2023, 05:36:42 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on May 20, 2023, 05:22:40 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on May 20, 2023, 05:20:10 PM
Mayo's All Ireland title to lose now!

Based on beating the AI Favourites (who are still in the Championship) in a League game?

How is it a league game though ? Not saying we are now favs for Sam but to downplay that win against the X factor county in their home ground where they haven't lost a championship game in 28 yrs is potty . They are sick and mayo proved to me and everyone else today they are right in the mix .

Was todays game knock-out? How many of Kerry's previous Championship games in the last 28 years were not Knockout?  Don't get me wrong it's great to beat Kerry and it sets us up nicely. Lets not loose the run of ourselves.

Spot on Bunker.

Dubhaltach

Quote from: Manning18 on May 19, 2023, 06:02:13 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on May 19, 2023, 04:40:10 PM
The rumour was obviously false but hey fire away with that narrative about mayo support ya wanted to get off your Chesteen . Great to have supporters though , great craic , what it's all about some would say but I understand ye are all about the all Ireland . Yer just different gravy altogether to us little old mayo wans .

Strange one to be espousing the Mayo support on the weekend they're supposedly bringing their least amount of fans for many a year to Killarney. The cost of living crises hitting hard up there? There's no soccer/rugby/hurling to distract, so it's a strange one for the self anointed "best fans in Ireland"

You're one sour individual, on here constantly sniping away. I've often been in Croke Park when there's been over 40,000 Mayo supporters present, yet you're willing to let a few clowns on social media paint a picture for you of the entire group....

As for the game itself, the most pleasing aspect was the game management. Kerry came back with with a third quarter push but we never really looked like letting them back into it. We held on to possession when needed which wouldn't always have been a strong point. It's good to be back as contender again anyway.

twohands!!!

This satire ?

Was he not playing super stuff in the league for Kerry last year ? - his form seems to have just dropped off a cliff this year.
There was one bit of the game against Mayo when he had a head-start of about 3/5 metres on one of the Mayo players and the Mayo player beat him to it.
I thought watching it that he looked like a fella who is not fully fit/was afraid of going full speed.

galwayman

Have to say Mayo were extremely impressive. The direct style of early ball inside is great to watch.
Where Mayo have struggled is where teams park the bus inside their 45 and don't allow that quick ball.
That will be the challenge for them I think.
But nobody will want to draw them in the knock out stages.

Maroon Manc

The Kerry defence were made to look so poor, now I know Mayo put them under enormous pressure higher the pitch then anyone will and turned them on so many occasions but even when they had a set defence Mayo still managed to find a way through like McLaughlin's goal, the sweeper was just so slow to react. Can see from the tackling stats that Mayo outworked Kerry but just might be the kick Kerry need. Kerry will be looking for a bit of luck in the preliminary draw, if they do make it through then lets hope for a Kerry Dublin quarter final.

Mayo were outstanding and it should have been game over by half time.

Mayo in a great place, should make the quarter final without exerting too much energy and know they'll avoid Kerry too.

JimStynes

Haven't got to watch the match yet but how did David Clifford do?

Tubberman

Quote from: JimStynes on May 22, 2023, 02:09:34 PM
Haven't got to watch the match yet but how did David Clifford do?

Unmarkable really. Could/should have scored at least 1 goal, that would be the only disappointment in his own display. Scored 7 or 8 points.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Cunny Funt

Quote from: twohands!!! on May 22, 2023, 09:07:23 AM

This satire ?

Was he not playing super stuff in the league for Kerry last year ? - his form seems to have just dropped off a cliff this year.
There was one bit of the game against Mayo when he had a head-start of about 3/5 metres on one of the Mayo players and the Mayo player beat him to it.
I thought watching it that he looked like a fella who is not fully fit/was afraid of going full speed.

He's a top player and one most certainly doesn't underestimate the importance of a good free taker but he looks way off the pace at the moment.  Biggest issue for Kerry is they haven't replaced David Moran in midfield.  The defence that played a big part in winning the All Ireland last year is structurally broken at the moment.  This was very noticeable in the Munster final whereby Clare scored 0-15 and really should have scored about 2-20, the same Clare scored 0-9 against out of sort Donegal yesterday. 

Kerry are like a lot of defending All Ireland champions over the years (Apart of Jim Gavin's Dublin) they are having a hangover and will do well to lift it again, They should beat Cork,Louth but it won't surprise me if they make their exit from this championship in similar fashion to that defeat on Saturday.

WhoDat

sean o'shea seriously lacking pace. no agility about him at all.
thought it was interesting that mayo didn't really preoccupy themselves with containing clifford like many teams do. they left him to have at it and just backed themselves to outscore kerry the other end, which they did. there is a bit of complacency among the kerry front 6. they seem to sort of expect clifford to do it all and i sense mayo knew this complacency was there. the mayo backs were jaunting up and down the pitch knowing full well none of those kerry forwards would track them. having a talisman is a blessing and a curse - kerry will never be far off while clifford is fit but on the other hand, the balance of the team is totally off and a lack of responsibility from a few individuals rearing its head.