GAAGo and other gripes

Started by Captain Scarlet, May 09, 2023, 05:13:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Scarlet

May as well start a thread on this...also to look at what we are doing overall...

Donal Óg seems to be on his soap box every year. Last year it was a plea for more oxygen for hurling. Saying it was dying out and not getting enough covereage. Meanwhile Westmeath hurlers were getting mobbed by kids on the field after big games and barely getting a minute on TV.

He only seems to have an issue if the Munter Games are not for all to see and celebrate.

This is decent on it - https://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2023/05/08/news/cahair_o_kane_we_re_not_ready_for_gaago_and_it_isn_t_ready_for_us-3263329/

The notion that it was all going to roll out as one in the first full year was not thought through.

I think it all feeds into a lot of the things we discuss here in terms of promoting the game. Kildare's championship draws were made on Friday and there was not even a tweet or an update...so many county managers don't allow players to even speak to the media and then kids have millions of resources and cool clips about other sports stars.

The split season won't lose their interest as they don't have anything to be interested in. Anyway you would argue that keeping them fit and healthy, having fun playing is more important.

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

snoopdog

virgin media are jumping on this now also. I wonder will anyone ask them how their customers couldn't watch the live Ulster championship games on bbc?

imtommygunn

My big bugbear would be my da can't watch the matches as he doesn't have broadband and doesn't have the first clue about broadband or apps...

That aside I don't really care tbh. It's been like this years only more accessible.

They've too many games in too short a space of time. RTE never going to show them. Quite frankly too many to watch these days.

armaghniac

Quote from: snoopdog on May 09, 2023, 05:29:28 PM
virgin media are jumping on this now also. I wonder will anyone ask them how their customers couldn't watch the live Ulster championship games on bbc?

I suggest that you do. I already have.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Nanderson

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 09, 2023, 05:35:51 PM
My big bugbear would be my da can't watch the matches as he doesn't have broadband and doesn't have the first clue about broadband or apps...

That aside I don't really care tbh. It's been like this years only more accessible.

They've too many games in too short a space of time. RTE never going to show them. Quite frankly too many to watch these days.
Would it not be better if we let each county stream their own games. Say a games on for a 5er or whatever. Let the GAA take a small cut, then the rest goes to cover costs and anything extra helps fund the county directly. I know in down we had downgaa.tv streaming nearly all of the senior club championship games and latter stages of intermediate and junior too. And all in all it worked very well bar a few hiccups in places with bad internet

Captain Scarlet

I agree that the armchair fan gets a loud voice.

There are more games than ever, but I do think that TG4, Virgin and the likes should have carved it up.

If GAAGO are a broadcaster every game has to be a certain standard.

Jackie Healy-Rae is on the job now. Mattie McGrath is next...
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Eire90

does any county show their championships for free i think Dublin might.

Captain Scarlet

Dubs TV was on the go during Covid. V good set up.

On the whole thing now, there seems to be some v odd governance at play.

RTÉ pay for their rights.
RTÉ and GAA own gaago.
They are competing broadcasters.
Declan McBennett is Head of Sport in RTÉ and is a Director with gaago...

clarshack

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on May 09, 2023, 11:40:27 PM
Dubs TV was on the go during Covid. V good set up.

On the whole thing now, there seems to be some v odd governance at play.

RTÉ pay for their rights.
RTÉ and GAA own gaago.
They are competing broadcasters.
Declan McBennett is Head of Sport in RTÉ and is a Director with gaago...

Whole thing stinks.

trailer

Fair play to McBennet going on TV and Radio. You might not like or believe what he has to say, but he faced up to the questions.

seafoid

RTE loses over 20m each year due to non payment of the licence.
Alan Dillon is on OTB talking about the outrageousness of Mayo v Kerry and Galway v Tyrone on GAAGO and suggesting that the licence be reduced.
The Constitution will have to be changed to remove the right to watch every single championship match in one's own living room.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

blanketattack

Up until 1990 there were no provincial games on TV. If you wanted to see a game, you went to it in person.
Nobody was writing in to mailbag giving out that the 1987 Classic Cork v Tipp game wasn't on tv. Those who wanted to see it, went to it. Those who were too old or too sick, etc. listened to it on the radio and saw the highlights on tv. Some who were too sick or too old still went anyway.

These entitled snowflakes today (young and old) think they should get every service for free from banking to online newspapers to sports.
If Cork get to the Munster Final, 4 of their 5 games will have been on RTE (plus all subsequent games)  and they still think that's not enough.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: seafoid on May 10, 2023, 09:03:22 AM
RTE loses is down over 20m each year due to non payment of the licence.
Alan Dillon is on OTB talking about the outrageousness of Mayo v Kerry and Galway v Tyrone on GAAGO and suggesting that the licence be reduced.
The Constitution will have to be changed to remove the right to watch every single championship match in one's own living room.

It's not theirs in the first instance, so they can't "lose" it?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

seafoid

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on May 10, 2023, 09:12:17 AM
Quote from: seafoid on May 10, 2023, 09:03:22 AM
RTE loses is down over 20m each year due to non payment of the licence.

It's not theirs in the first instance, so they can't "lose" it?
In 2018 they covered 40 games. This year there are 69 games (RTE) and 38 (GAAGO).
That is more than 2.5 times 2018 levels.
It has to be paid for.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Armagh18

Who gives a shite what was on tv fecking years ago when the players of today weren't even born and neither were most of the supporters. Times have changed and the old farts ranting about "snowflakes" need to realise that. With technology these days there should be a decent option to watch any game on tv ffs. And the whole GAAGO/RTE thing stinks.