Armagh v Derry - Ulster Final, 14th May, 2023 @ 4pm

Started by Walter Cronc, May 01, 2023, 08:04:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Watcher

Well if Derry play attacking football the game really is screwed

JoG2

Quote from: An Watcher on May 06, 2023, 11:17:37 PM

Can a team not play both? How do you register big scores without playing attacking football?

RedHand88

Quote from: An Watcher on May 06, 2023, 11:17:37 PM

They put up 1-21 against Monaghan, thats 22 scores, or more than one every 3mins. What more do people want?

Blowitupref

David Gough will be the ref for this Ulster final.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

onefineday

Quote from: An Watcher on May 06, 2023, 01:40:46 PM
I think the thing that did it for me was the semi final v galway.  Getting well beat yet continued to play the same way.  I did not attend that game but heard a few say it was abysmal.  Maybe that was 1 or 2 of the ones mentioned above.  Its brutal to watch but as was the case last year, it'll be found out at croker
The Galway semi and the Ulster final were probably the two worst examples - what did they have in common? On both occasions Galway and Donegal set up to nullify Derry's game plan of breaking at speed which had been features of their games with Tyrone, Monaghan and Clare.
We see keep ball in most games now - it's what teams do to impose their game plan on the opposition and it's a standard reaction to ultra defence.
I agree it's utterly horrible to watch, but until the rules committee come up with the required tweaks, we're going to keep on seeing it. What was unique about Derry v Donegal in contrast to almost every other top level intercounty game we see it in, is that both teams kept it up for about 88 mins - certainly excessive! In most other games we see it for a half, then football breaks out!!
The worst thing about keep ball is when it permeates down to club level - at least at intercounty players have the ability to break at pace, take great scores etc, but I've seen low level club games recently which are unwatchable, endless recycling with no end product!

onefineday

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 06, 2023, 08:53:45 AM
The same was said of Donegal. Donegal in 2012 were fantastic to watch. The pace they broke at, and Derry are likewise, was phenomenal.
Agree 💯 - McGlynn haring up the pitch in croker that year is my standout memory. They played some great stuff at times, amazing work rate.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 06, 2023, 08:53:45 AM
The same was said of Donegal. Donegal in 2012 were fantastic to watch. The pace they broke at, and Derry are likewise, was phenomenal.

It's still said today by some. Not sure if they had poor memories are simply weren't watching Donegal 2012 matches right. Derry have a bit to go to match that Donegal team yet however I do see similarities, Donegal learnt plenty from their 2011 campaign remains to be seen how much Derry learnt from last years campaign. 

lenny

Really looking forward to this game as it's a clash of styles between Derry's all out attcking and Armagh's much more defensive system this year. Derry have been running up some huge scores with players in every position likely to score. What I would worry about though is when we've come up against ultra defensive teams like Galway last year we haven't been able to break them down. Armagh's need to win this game is also probably a bit stronger as Mcgeeney has been there a while with no reward. Derry have left themselves wide open defensively at times as the team has evolved into the much more attacking style and Armagh are likely to exploit this with the class forwards that they have.

smelmoth

Armagh played defensive football in the league and it more than blunted their attacking capabilities. The signs in the 3 championship games to date is that they have reverted to their natural game. That said none of their championship opponents to date have been remotely close to Division One quality. Armagh have a big call to make. Stick with the 2022 gameplan that they have reverted to in Ulster or retreat to a negative game.

Any team that moves the ball sideways when they win it and edges up the field with zero risk passes and then tries to work a score or a free when the inevitable 14 vs 14 or 15 vs 15 chess match of sideways passing isn't attacking.
Any team that turns their back on play and immediately retreats to the preordained line of their blanket defence as soon as they lose possession isn't attacking.
Many teams have played that way and racked up decent scores because they are very good at it and they put poor teams to the sword or they pick of scores on the break against teams that are trailing but it's not attacking football and it isn't great to watch.

Had to watch Down try it last week. Only they don't have a McGuigan. Or a Glass, or a Rogers or a Cassidy or indeed a clue.

Derry start favourites. Marginal but definite favourites. Let's hope it isn't a lateral snoozefest. Football can be quite good if played right.

An Watcher

Tyrone had to revert to this style as they couldn't beat donegal.  As a result they put up huge scores in ulster versus armagh and derry for example.  Tyrone beat armagh by 18 points in 2017 and derry by 11 the same year.  Even donegal by 9.  Different story at croke Park though and took a few big match defeats.  They could have continued on this trajectory but in order to try and win the big prize they had to accept losing a few ulsters.  Score wise it was great but as a spectacle they weren't great.  The only way to beat it is to replicate it

Walter Cronc

This theory of Derrys style not working at CP is utter tosh. If anything it's more suited with Rogers further up the field! Yes we're more vulnerable at the back but high risk high reward is the only way to get over the line. With Ciaran McFaul coming back into the side (best kick passer in Derry, if not Ulster) it will only evolve the style further.

Galway beat us last year as they were the better side. We missed the boat not going 5 up and they cleaned out our kickouts.

Derryman forever

Don't know why the counties are not recruiting their managers from here.
There seems to be an abundance of GAA strategists and experts here. Would live to read their CVs. Must be very impressive.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Derryman forever on May 07, 2023, 10:30:04 AM
There seems to be an abundance of GAA strategists and experts here. Would live to read their CVs. Must be very impressive.

Poster on GAA discussion site critiques fellow posters on GAA discussion site......

There you have it ladies and gentlemen!

Armagh18

Imagine people discussing teams tactics and gameplan on a gaa discussion forum. Disgraceful from them

Orior

Quote from: Armagh18 on May 07, 2023, 11:35:13 AM
Imagine people discussing teams tactics and gameplan on a gaa discussion forum. Disgraceful from them

Lol
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians