Armagh v Derry - Ulster Final, 14th May, 2023 @ 4pm

Started by Walter Cronc, May 01, 2023, 08:04:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Cronc

4pm throw in. No minor final beforehand (which is a shame). Traffic will be a nightmare and tickets be hard got! Derry by 3  8)

tonto1888

Should be a good game. We need to improve to be able to win. Turbo and Rian need better games. Derry would be favourites

bennydorano

Derry are favourites at 1/2, Armagh 6/4, which is about right.

grounded

Quote from: bennydorano on May 01, 2023, 08:54:20 AM
Derry are favourites at 1/2, Armagh 6/4, which is about right.

Odds drifting on Armagh at 13/8 now. Derry can still be got @8/13.
      I think Armagh are decent value at that point. Need their best playing from the start and prevent Derry getting a lead up.

Mario

There was a feeling among Armagh fans last year that if they had beat Galway on penalties they'd be in an AI final. I thought Derry would beat them last year and i see we are favourites now. I'm not sure if thats because people think Derry have got better or Armagh worse or both.

I expect Derry to control the game but if Armagh get a goal or two, like in the Galway game last year it will change everything. If you hit a shot that drops short there seems to be about a 50% chance you'll score a goal v Derry at the min and Armagh got two of them v Down.

ClubScene13

A lot of Armagh folk seemingly making the point they were a top 4 side after last season. ie, they gave Galway a serious rattle where as Derry were a mile off it. I'd say they are quietly confident.
This will be a good ulster final, genuinely hard to call I can see it going either way.

Mario

Quote from: ClubScene13 on May 01, 2023, 09:58:40 AM
A lot of Armagh folk seemingly making the point they were a top 4 side after last season. ie, they gave Galway a serious rattle where as Derry were a mile off it. I'd say they are quietly confident.
This will be a good ulster final, genuinely hard to call I can see it going either way.
They were totally outplayed by Galway and got 2 late goals to bring it to extra time. It was a lucky result

ClubScene13

Quote from: Mario on May 01, 2023, 10:07:04 AM
They were totally outplayed by Galway and got 2 late goals to bring it to extra time. It was a lucky result

Aye, got steamrolled in extra time after then didn't they.

Armagh18

Fairly confident we'll best Derry tbh. Think we match up well to them fitness wise, hope McCambridge is back to mark McGuigan. A lot depends on the fitness of Murnin though. High ball in to him and Rian and no defence is stopping it.

Armagh18

Quote from: ClubScene13 on May 01, 2023, 10:22:10 AM
Quote from: Mario on May 01, 2023, 10:07:04 AM

Aye, got steamrolled in extra time after then didn't they.
Wouldn't say lucky, we more than earned a draw with 14 men after a bullshit red card. Swear to god the crowd that day was as good as another player, the buzz made even me feel like I could have ran around Croker and kicked points! Anyway irrelevant at this stage. Derry players are likeable and I'm a big fan of a lot of them, but you couldn't like Gallagher if you reared him. Hope we hammer them out the gate.

trueblue1234

Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Armagh18

Quote from: trueblue1234 on May 01, 2023, 10:38:16 AM
Anyway of both teams losing?
Aw it's been too long ye can't begrudge us a final appearance! Fair chunk of Armagh support have little or no memory of our last one.

trueblue1234

Quote from: Armagh18 on May 01, 2023, 10:43:01 AM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on May 01, 2023, 10:38:16 AM
Anyway of both teams losing?
Aw it's been too long ye can't begrudge us a final appearance! Fair chunk of Armagh support have little or no memory of our last one.

Not long enough!! 😂

Naw sure I'll take heart in the fact that one of you's will be beat at least.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

yellowcard

I'd be quietly confident we can beat Derry as well but it will be much tougher than any of our previous matches. We are much better than Derry in the forward line and I can see those long balls into the Derry full back line giving Derry all sorts of problems. Their defenders just aren't equipped to deal with that type of game. Having Murnin fit though will be essential since he has been our best player all season by some distance. Derry have a big advantage at midfield though and if Armagh can contain Glass and Rodgers and gain close to parity here then it will go a long way towards winning the match.

The pressure is off Armagh now to a certain extent as we have done what was expected of us and the 2 best teams in Ulster will now face off in the final that most people would have called at the outset of the championship. It's also a novel pairing since there is no real history between these Armagh and Derry teams to speak of.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: yellowcard on May 01, 2023, 11:56:13 AM
I'd be quietly confident we can beat Derry as well but it will be much tougher than any of our previous matches. We are much better than Derry in the forward line and I can see those long balls into the Derry full back line giving Derry all sorts of problems. Their defenders just aren't equipped to deal with that type of game. Having Murnin fit though will be essential since he has been our best player all season by some distance. Derry have a big advantage at midfield though and if Armagh can contain Glass and Rodgers and gain close to parity here then it will go a long way towards winning the match.

The pressure is off Armagh now to a certain extent as we have done what was expected of us and the 2 best teams in Ulster will now face off in the final that most people would have called at the outset of the championship. It's also a novel pairing since there is no real history between these Armagh and Derry teams to speak of.

McGuigan, E Doherty and Paul Cassidy would make a combined forward line. Fully fit McFaul too. Don't think youse are much better tbh.

How is the pressure off Armagh and Geezer in particular. You haven't delivered!