Leinster SFC 2023

Started by thejuice, April 10, 2023, 01:57:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

Quote from: Cunny Funt on April 26, 2023, 06:36:57 PM
Quote from: seafoid on April 26, 2023, 02:37:43 PM
Quote from: thejuice on April 26, 2023, 01:20:53 PM
https://m.soundcloud.com/user-331988822/talk-a-good-game-episode-32-tagg

Worth a listen. I think there is merit to the idea that we need to reduce the number of clubs at senior level and increase the stakes for those remaining. The senior club championship in Meath should be an absolute dogfight that turns out battle hardened troops for the county panel.
Reminded me of Galway around 2013. When you have young players blending with older ones who don't know how to win it takes time.

Kevin Walsh brought a culture to Galway football, when you look at Galway now it's worth remember the ground work was done by him.  Meath need a similar change. After Andy McEntee departed Meath needed a solid appointment to move them forward, they opted for nostalgia trip with Colm O'Rourke.

Agreed, while he probably stayed too long in the job Andy did put some decent foundations in but that seems to be thrown out now and we're back to "building a team" once again.

My preference was for an outside manager as I wasn't convinced by O'Rourke or Bernard Flynn as candidates. I would have thought Eamon Fitzmaurice would have been a better choice given he'd won something in recent times as a player and manager. Him plus some top quality coaches and keeping the core of Andy's team together with a select few U20's might have resulted in us being able to progress again.

However it's a bit of a mess now with lads in and out of panel from week to week like Ronan Ryan who didn't play the league suddenly comes back and plays in the full back line. Strange.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

seafoid

If you look at Galway as a development model  I don't think that Andy McEntee got as far as Kevin Walsh did.
Because Walsh got them to a stable Division 1 level and Galway won an all star during his period in charge.
Obviously it was easier having to face Mayo than Dublin in the provincial stakes.
Meath is going to need more than 3 years. There also has to be a provincial strategy for dealing with Dublin that is suitable psychologically.
Players need to develop in a culture of winning . Maybe the new structure will help.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Captain Scarlet

OK. As a Kildare fan I'm v v v worried it could be worse than last year.
When you look at the Dubs with Mannion, McCaffrey plus Con fully at it.
Maybe the fact we have regressed means we won't go as open this time out.

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

seafoid

If I was Glen Ryan or any other Leinster manager I would put out a development team against Dublin
The GAA is taking the piss with the Leinster championship and now it doesn't even matter.

Here is an article from 2019.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/leinster-football-championship-a-lame-duck-says-former-longford-boss-1.4043069

Seán Moran
Tue Oct 8 2019 - 01:00

The Leinster football championship is "over" according to former Longford manager Dennis Connerton.

He was speaking in the context of the draw for next year's provincial series, which pitches the county against Louth and which for the first time deferred its semi-final pairings until next summer when the last four teams emerge.

This is intended to create a bit more excitement about the championship and also avoid dispiriting teams, who might find themselves in the same side of the draw as Dublin.

Connerton had that experience in 2018 even though Longford got to the semi-finals on the back of a memorable win over Meath in the quarter-finals. He acknowledges Dublin's quality but believes the All-Ireland champions' domination of Leinster has shone a light on the inadequacies of the format.

"Leinster has become a lame duck," he said.

"It doesn't seem to exist anymore as a provincial championship and you'd wonder how long more we can keep going with it. Apathy has set in. Dublin are fabulous footballers and a fabulous team but it's just very difficult for others to reach that level.

Learn more

"The provincial system is old-fashioned and inexplicable with its five counties and six counties and 12 counties and nine counties. It's over as far as I'm concerned."

Setting out the difficulties of facing the county that next year will be in pursuit of a record 10th successive provincial championship, he said that the only prospect of making an impact is if the two teams' performances deviate significantly from the norm.

"Well there's two sides to it and one is the challenge of playing probably the greatest team of any era and the other part is, 'what chance do we really have of beating these guys?' That's very difficult for teams to process.

"What you're hoping for all the time is that Dublin's level of performance is going to dip, which it never seems to do at Croke Park, and a massive dip at that and that you're going to play the game of your life."

There is he believes a major discrepancy between the horizons of a county like Longford at various times of the year.

"When you're setting out, you have the pre-season tournament, the O'Byrne Cup. That's something you can chase after (Longford beat Dublin in the 2016 competition) and you look at the league, which is where it's all happening for teams in Division Three, Division Four, Division Two. You've an opportunity of winning something.

Different animal
"But then you've the Leinster championship and what are you doing? You're waiting to go in to the qualifiers. It's only a matter of how far you get or when you're going to bump into Dublin.

"You can handle everybody else – there is a level of expectation that you can compete with the Kildares and Meaths but Dublin is a different animal altogether."

Connerton, who stepped down after the 19-point defeat by Dublin in the 2018 Leinster semi-final isn't exaggerating about his county's exploits. As well as beating Meath in 2018, Longford under his successor Pádraic Davis, took Kildare to a replay in this year's championship.

It is however, as the former manager acknowledges, when the county is given the chance to slip the shackles of the provincial championship, which it has won just once in 1968, that it performs best. Longford's record in the qualifiers is impressive with several wins over teams with higher league rankings.

"I'd say our players look forward to the qualifiers because they don't know who they're going to meet and have done well in them. I can put any spin on this that I want in any meeting with players but they probably feel themselves that if they can keep Dublin to single digits, they'll be doing very well.

"Once you're not putting up with the 30-points or the 28- or 29-points defeats, you're coming out unscathed and that's where it's at."

Hound

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on April 28, 2023, 08:57:35 PM
OK. As a Kildare fan I'm v v v worried it could be worse than last year.
When you look at the Dubs with Mannion, McCaffrey plus Con fully at it.
Maybe the fact we have regressed means we won't go as open this time out.
Yeah, on paper, the previous 2 years were better chances for Kildare, but both ended up being easy wins.

Dubs bench tomorrow looks better on paper than it has for a number of years:
Cluxton, Costello, Dias, Howard, Lahiff, O'Dell, O'Gara, Rock, Scully, J Small, P Small
Although 2 or 3 of them will likely start.

Kildare need to take the goal chances that Dublin almost always offer up and stay in the game as long as possible, but Dubs seem to be in a good place, biggest questionmark is whether playing in D2 in the league will count against when someone really puts it up to them.

Captain Scarlet

Kildare don't score goals at all. So they rarely create goal chances. And even before the poor run a lot of goals came from Daniel Flynn doing something amazing as opposed to an actual end of a move.

In terms of the championship it's dead in the water but what's the excuse for Kildare and Meath, counties with resources, not being top Div 2 and even Div 1 sides?

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

seafoid

Success is about doing iterations and making a team that works and is accurate. D1 and top of D2 teams are accurate not sloppy. Accuracy requires confidence. Being hammered by Dublin every year is anti confidence. This is why the round Robin should be good for Kildare and Meath.

Blowitupref

Louth 0-9 Offaly 1-6 at half time.

15 minutes into the 2nd half. Louth: 0-13 Offaly 1-9
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

joemamas

If anyone on here knows Paddy Andrews, can you please please tell him to stop talking over Mike Finnerty who is the commentator.
So annoying.
He is a decent analyst, but needs to talk a lot less.

Tubberman

Quote from: joemamas on April 30, 2023, 02:58:37 PM
If anyone on here knows Paddy Andrews, can you please please tell him to stop talking over Mike Finnerty who is the commentator.
So annoying.

He's better as a co-comm than he is on the OTB podcast, where he just talks over everyone and laughs at his own jokes constantly
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Blowitupref

60 minutes played Louth 0-17 Offaly 1-10.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Tubberman

Thought Offaly were gonners, but back to 2 points.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Blowitupref

66 minutes played Louth: 0-17 Offaly: 1-13

joemamas

Quote from: Tubberman on April 30, 2023, 03:02:22 PM
Quote from: joemamas on April 30, 2023, 02:58:37 PM
So annoying.

He's better as a co-comm than he is on the OTB podcast, where he just talks over everyone and laughs at his own jokes constantly

Jesus he just never shuts up. Fu*k me.

Blowitupref

Sides are level Louth 0-17 Offaly 1-14.  1 minute of added time left.  Extra time to be played.