Leinster SFC 2023

Started by thejuice, April 10, 2023, 01:57:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muck Savage

Quote from: Rossfan on April 24, 2023, 09:23:58 AM
Kildare and Meath with their populations and strong economies and tradition in Meath's case ought to be at least as good regularly as Galway and Mayowestros.
Donegal a scattered mountain County with none of the advantages of Leinster Counties haven't done too badly last 10 or 12 years.
Laois, Offaly and Westmeath ought to be at least at Ros/Monaghan level.

Does the lack of any possibility of a Provincial title lead to hopelessness leading to lack of interested?

For counties with small populations it will always go in cycles, Westmeath have competed well in Div 1 regularly over the past 10 years. Laois competed well in the mid 2000's.
Offaly have suffered from lack of proper structure since 2000, they are working to make an impact in both Football and Hurling with underage success in the last few years. In my lifetime I've been lucky enough to see Offaly win Football and hurling All Ireland as well as multiple underage all irelands at both grades. I've always felt there are only two teams in Leinster that don't fear Dublin and that's Meath and Offaly, Dublin will eventually fall to one of them. 

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on April 24, 2023, 09:23:58 AM
Kildare and Meath with their populations and strong economies and tradition in Meath's case ought to be at least as good regularly as Galway and Mayowestros.
Donegal a scattered mountain County with none of the advantages of Leinster Counties haven't done too badly last 10 or 12 years.
Laois, Offaly and Westmeath ought to be at least at Ros/Monaghan level.

Does the lack of any possibility of a Provincial title lead to hopelessness leading to lack of interested?
Offaly is different to the neighbours because of the all Irelands. You could say that Offaly are in a historical slump.
Galway, MGHU and Donegal are bigger counties with bigger populations.
The big problem in Leinster is Dublin .In a normal decade they might only win 5 titles.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

joemamas

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on April 24, 2023, 12:53:54 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on April 24, 2023, 09:48:32 AM
Are gaelic games a minority pursuit in the big Leinster towns generally?
One or two I'm somewhat familiar with have fine GAA clubs with loads of youngsters on Saturday mornings etc.
But all the young lads play soccer on the greens all week unlike in Ros where kick arounds are more often than not gaelic football.
Soccer is the go-to sport because it's straightforward to play and everyone can play it.
If you get a group of kids on a green and a subset play rugby and a subset play GAA, then soccer will be catch all for having a game.

The stupidity of the GAA give soccer a free reign from Mid-July on (only two teams in each code still active) cannot be helping matters from a marketing standpoint.
It still beggers belief, that Meath and Kildare with the population explosions they have had cannot come up with a decent senior team.
Mayo are still losing people to Dublin and Galway and are still very competitive at senior level.
As I mentioned earlier in this blog, there must have been some serious clowns running quite a few county boards in a lot of these counties for the last 15-20 years.

shark

Quote from: joemamas on April 24, 2023, 03:27:34 PM
One or two I'm somewhat familiar with have fine GAA clubs with loads of youngsters on Saturday mornings etc.
But all the young lads play soccer on the greens all week unlike in Ros where kick arounds are more often than not gaelic football.
Soccer is the go-to sport because it's straightforward to play and everyone can play it.
If you get a group of kids on a green and a subset play rugby and a subset play GAA, then soccer will be catch all for having a game.

The stupidity of the GAA give soccer a free reign from Mid-July on (only two teams in each code still active) cannot be helping matters from a marketing standpoint.
It still beggers belief, that Meath and Kildare with the population explosions they have had cannot come up with a decent senior team.
Mayo are still losing people to Dublin and Galway and are still very competitive at senior level.
As I mentioned earlier in this blog, there must have been some serious clowns running quite a few county boards in a lot of these counties for the last 15-20 years.

In my experience, the most talented administrators keep their focus at club level. The individuals clubs wouldn't let run anything (for fear they'll mess up) end up getting involved at county board level.
There are counties where this is not the case of course.

LeoMc

Does Club football not count?

yellowcard

Quote from: LeoMc on April 24, 2023, 04:26:47 PM

I'd say only people disappointed by the split season are the armchair TV viewer and the media. The vast majority involved at grassroots club level can see the real benefits.

joemamas

Quote from: yellowcard on April 24, 2023, 05:10:31 PM

I'd say only people disappointed by the split season are the armchair TV viewer and the media. The vast majority involved at grassroots club level can see the real benefits.

Of course it has benefits, but from a media standpoint it is relegated, below premier league soccer, Irish league soccer, rugby, horse racing etc for five or six months.

seafoid

Meath have very poor clubs who haven't managed a Leinster title in years.

seafoid

Quote from: joemamas on April 24, 2023, 05:59:01 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on April 24, 2023, 05:10:31 PM

Of course it has benefits, but from a media standpoint it is relegated, below premier league soccer, Irish league soccer, rugby, horse racing etc for five or six months.
They could always split the club season into post Easter to End May and Post September and give the counties June to September for the weather and the media exposure

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/2023/04/26/darragh-o-se-the-long-road-back-for-meath-has-already-begun-they-cant-fall-any-lower-than-this/

It has been some fall from grace for Meath. I'm not being overly critical here, but counties in the so-called commuter belt, like Meath, Kildare, Laois and Wicklow, to some extent, with the numbers they have, should be doing a lot better than they are.

Kildare are making some strides, at least contesting provincial finals on a more consistent basis, possibly benefiting from the overflow of people coming to the area. It's one thing to have the people, but you still have to work to make it attractive for them to play, sell their wares essentially.

Colm O'Rourke was very pragmatic in the way he described it, that Meath are now where they deserve to be. I believe he's in there for genuine and right reasons. Even if after Sunday I couldn't help wonder, does he wish he could hit the rewind button and find himself sitting back in Montrose giving out about Meath? It would have been an easier than what he's facing now.

[ Darragh Ó Sé: Why Dublin are my All-Ireland favourites this year, even ahead of Kerry ]

Meath are where they are. The challenge is to find out how to navigate their way out of it. They are going to have to get down and get dirty.

thejuice

https://m.soundcloud.com/user-331988822/talk-a-good-game-episode-32-tagg

Worth a listen. I think there is merit to the idea that we need to reduce the number of clubs at senior level and increase the stakes for those remaining. The senior club championship in Meath should be an absolute dogfight that turns out battle hardened troops for the county panel.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

seafoid

Quote from: thejuice on April 26, 2023, 01:20:53 PM

Worth a listen. I think there is merit to the idea that we need to reduce the number of clubs at senior level and increase the stakes for those remaining. The senior club championship in Meath should be an absolute dogfight that turns out battle hardened troops for the county panel.
Reminded me of Galway around 2013. When you have young players blending with older ones who don't know how to win it takes time.

Bord na Mona man

Something remarkable in Meath is the change in accents amongst their support this millennium. Not so many coming down from 'Nobboh on the back of a haws' nowadays. Now the Dublin accent is hugely prevalent, or more especially the Fingal accent as Dublin 15 has spilled out into the Meath commuter towns. In Kildare it's less obvious.

A bit like Offaly hurling, there are those adamant that the solutions lie in the old ways and the old strongholds. Like the O'Rourke appointment, or lads insisting that North Meath is where the proper caveman defenders need to be sourced from.
Whoever cracks the commuter belt conundrum best should be well able to overtake Dublin.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: seafoid on April 26, 2023, 02:37:43 PM
Quote from: thejuice on April 26, 2023, 01:20:53 PM

Reminded me of Galway around 2013. When you have young players blending with older ones who don't know how to win it takes time.

Kevin Walsh brought a culture to Galway football, when you look at Galway now it's worth remember the ground work was done by him.  Meath need a similar change. After Andy McEntee departed Meath needed a solid appointment to move them forward, they opted for nostalgia trip with Colm O'Rourke. 

seafoid

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on April 26, 2023, 05:26:55 PM
Something remarkable in Meath is the change in accents amongst their support this millennium. Not so many coming down from 'Nobboh on the back of a haws' nowadays. Now the Dublin accent is hugely prevalent, or more especially the Fingal accent as Dublin 15 has spilled out into the Meath commuter towns. In Kildare it's less obvious.

A bit like Offaly hurling, there are those adamant that the solutions lie in the old ways and the old strongholds. Like the O'Rourke appointment, or lads insisting that North Meath is where the proper caveman defenders need to be sourced from.
Whoever cracks the commuter belt conundrum best should be well able to overtake Dublin.
I dunno. Leinster is like the Six Nations with Dublin as England or France. If England and France were super organised every year in the Six Nations there would be no competition. In the Six Nations the imbalance is addressed by TV money. If Ireland are the most organised they can beat the other 2.
Dublin are like England 2003 indefinitely. Meath don't even have one marquee forward. Even if they had 3 they wouldn't be able to beat Dublin. Because the GAA want to grow the sport in Dublin and the county team benefits indirectly. How many coaches do Meath and Kildare have ?