Tailteann Cup 2023 - Rules from GAA Master Fixtures List

Started by GAABoardMod5, March 29, 2023, 02:36:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

onefineday

Quote from: full moon on May 13, 2023, 07:47:45 PM
My opinion on this so far is the changes from last year ie group stages not knockout, increased ticket prices and going off against the big first tier football/hurling, is going to harm this competition.

It would be interesting to get a sense of attendances, the Cavan Laois match had a fairly poor attendance. The attendance for the U20s final before emphasised this big time.
Season 2 will be very interesting, truly hope that it catches the imagination, but I think in the longer run more incentive is needed.
Whilst Meath may talk about wanting to win, will the fans buy in? Would Cork really have had an interest? Even Cavan, their big aim for the year was promotion and an Ulster final, are fans invested really?
We'd hope that interest increases with the advent of the knockout stage, and it's probably no bad thing giving teams the 3 group games for a bit of shadow boxing, but i do have concerns over its longer term appeal.
Any suggestions as to what could be done to ensure there's a genuine interest in the TC from players and fans alike?

Wildweasel74

All that rush for tickets for the semi, think Down seen today, where there real support is, and who it is.

Eire90

if the same matchups was in the old backdoor qualifiers would attendances be the same or higher.

Hound

Quote from: Blowitupref on May 13, 2023, 05:38:08 PM
Routine win for Cavan against Laois  2-20 to  1-14
Very poor decision by the ref to give Cavan a penalty for a phantom foot block after Laois had made a great start. Turning point and Cavan ploughed on while Laois ran aground.

Very very few people stayed on from the U20 game. Massive Sligo crowd and decent Kildare crowd. The U20 game was over at about 2.50 i think, with the Cavan game not on till 4pm, so easy to see why people weren't keen to hang around. Whereas if it was the old system of a quick turnaround, plenty would have stayed to have a look. Not sure it makes sense to leave the big gaps just in case there is ET, given it happens so rarely. Not really a massive deal to delay throw in, in the very few cases where it is actually required.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Hound on May 14, 2023, 12:00:21 PM
Very poor decision by the ref to give Cavan a penalty for a phantom foot block after Laois had made a great start. Turning point and Cavan ploughed on while Laois ran aground.

Very very few people stayed on from the U20 game. Massive Sligo crowd and decent Kildare crowd. The U20 game was over at about 2.50 i think, with the Cavan game not on till 4pm, so easy to see why people weren't keen to hang around. Whereas if it was the old system of a quick turnaround, plenty would have stayed to have a look. Not sure it makes sense to leave the big gaps just in case there is ET, given it happens so rarely. Not really a massive deal to delay throw in, in the very few cases where it is actually required.

Probably was a turning point but I think it was penalty. Double headers when both matches must finish on the day isn't suitable.

While players wants more games I'm not sure will group stages games carry the same interest for supporters as knock out football does.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

full moon

Totally agree with you with the gaps for double headers now, I'm surprised more people don't raise that issue.

Yesterday was a joke in that regard, 70 minutes between both matches and Cavan game upped in price, ended up with a very poor crowd when it could have kept a good crowd for a while from first match.

seafoid

Quote from: Blowitupref on May 14, 2023, 01:48:29 PM

Probably was a turning point but I think it was penalty. Double headers when both matches must finish on the day isn't suitable.

While players wants more games I'm not sure will group stages games carry the same interest for supporters as knock out football does.
There is very little jeopardy in the group stage. I think it will take fans a while to get used to the new setup.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Blowitupref

Results today

Antrim 3-18 Leitrim 2-12
Fermanagh 1-13 Wexford 1-13
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

FermGael

That was very poor from Fermanagh
Cruising for most of the game .
Had a goal disallowed for a square ball , then gave away a penalty and had out keeper back carded .

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Milltown Row2

Quote from: FermGael on May 14, 2023, 03:32:29 PM
That was very poor from Fermanagh
Cruising for most of the game .
Had a goal disallowed for a square ball , then gave away a penalty and had out keeper back carded .

Bookie buster game  ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Blowitupref

Another result Offaly 2-14 London 0-11.  A mini shock on league form? Wicklow 1-13 Carlow 0-17

full moon

Quote from: onefineday on May 14, 2023, 01:00:27 AM
Quote from: full moon on May 13, 2023, 07:47:45 PM
My opinion on this so far is the changes from last year ie group stages not knockout, increased ticket prices and going off against the big first tier football/hurling, is going to harm this competition.

It would be interesting to get a sense of attendances, the Cavan Laois match had a fairly poor attendance. The attendance for the U20s final before emphasised this big time.
Season 2 will be very interesting, truly hope that it catches the imagination, but I think in the longer run more incentive is needed.
Whilst Meath may talk about wanting to win, will the fans buy in? Would Cork really have had an interest? Even Cavan, their big aim for the year was promotion and an Ulster final, are fans invested really?
We'd hope that interest increases with the advent of the knockout stage, and it's probably no bad thing giving teams the 3 group games for a bit of shadow boxing, but i do have concerns over its longer term appeal.
Any suggestions as to what could be done to ensure there's a genuine interest in the TC from players and fans alike?

I'm not sure but ticket prices should not have went up and kids should be in free otherwise we're looking at empty stadiums. That's one issue that's a problem now.

Also think they should look at McDonagh in hurling and possibly have the winner re-enter the Sam Maguire for a preliminary QF the same year. Would increase interest for supporters a bit I'd say.

From talking the Cavan supporters, the Armagh defeat and performance destroyed a lot of morale.  I think we may only see supporters return if we reach semi final or final. I'd say it's probably similar for other counties.

Rossfan

Charging €15 and €5 for kids to the TC group games is fkn madness.
€10 and free for u16s might tempt more to the games.
A but of imaginative marketing and ticket packages would help too.
If there's no marketing expertise in HQ (obviously not) I'm sure some of the sponsor Companies would oblige.

It's obvious in GAA world that those who set prices never gave to pay in to a game.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

full moon

Quote from: Rossfan on May 14, 2023, 07:37:59 PM
Charging €15 and €5 for kids to the TC group games is fkn madness.
€10 and free for u16s might tempt more to the games.
A but of imaginative marketing and ticket packages would help too.
If there's no marketing expertise in HQ (obviously not) I'm sure some of the sponsor Companies would oblige.

It's obvious in GAA world that those who set prices never gave to pay in to a game.
Agree, also the games are close together now as well and there is cost of living crisis, free matches for kids is not much to ask for the likes of this.