Bronx Grant

Started by Baile Brigín 2, March 15, 2023, 10:04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

I've no interest at all in the GAA growing globally. I would like its entire focus to be in Ireland.

Am I alone in thinking this?

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: thewobbler on March 15, 2023, 10:53:06 PM
I've no interest at all in the GAA growing globally. I would like its entire focus to be in Ireland.

This isn't a sports grant, at least not officially. The controversy seems to be that the NY county board sold the place in 1991 so we are handing 500k over to a private college. Looks like bar facilities rather than a stand.

There will be war if the capital grants are cut but there is money for this

armaghniac

They have been at the US thing since the "American Invasion" of 1888, but have little to show for it. Having New York and London in the "All Ireland" competitions is a distraction.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

Not to mention the Semi Pro Summer tourneys held in the US .
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on March 15, 2023, 11:04:46 PM

This isn't a sports grant, at least not officially. The controversy seems to be that the NY county board sold the place in 1991 so we are handing 500k over to a private college. Looks like bar facilities rather than a stand.

I think the GAA is fairly flluirseach.
Covid was hard but last year there was a return to business as usual
https://www.gaa.ie/news/gaa-report-healthy-financial-year/
€24.1m went on Capital Grants

Just for reference, FAI income would be around 42m.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

johnnycool

I wasn't sure if Manhattan college still owned the place, but you are right, this will be for a function room and having nothing to do with the playing facilities or stand/bleachers...

J70

Will the facility belong to Manhattan College or the GAA?

rosnarun

Quote from: seafoid on March 16, 2023, 10:15:24 AM

Diidnt the soccer crowd get a special once off present of 38 million and are looking for 2.5 Millions more
so you know the figures income for GAA and Rugby
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

seafoid

Gaelic Park and Ruislip are more like outreach for emigrants.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: J70 on March 16, 2023, 11:11:13 AM
Will the facility belong to Manhattan College or the GAA?
Manhattan College

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: rosnarun on March 16, 2023, 12:06:21 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 16, 2023, 10:15:24 AM

Diidnt the soccer crowd get a special once off present of 38 million and are looking for 2.5 Millions more
so you know the figures income for GAA and Rugby

The argument seems to be that the FAI on behalf of the LoI presented a credible pitch for acadamies and despite initial enthusiasm the department are stringing them along. So I can kinda see their issue when the government can find 500k to give a college in NYC to basically build a bar but not 2.5m for facilities here.

Blowitupref

Grant for something else but Gaelic Park could do with a new pitch, must be the only pitch in the Inter County championship that has astro turf?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

johnnycool

Quote from: Blowitupref on March 16, 2023, 06:14:25 PM
Grant for something else but Gaelic Park could do with a new pitch, must be the only pitch in the Inter County championship that has astro turf?

We'd a lad done the cruciate in Gaelic park as they' just resurfaced the baseball diamond in the top corner but not very well....

Ulster championship game when NY partook in that.

screenexile

I think that's harsh. I know myself some of the best times I had playing football were in Canada and England and I'm sure many more are the same. I was very grateful for the GAA as a way of joining a community and it's a massive help for people who do leave the island!