Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh18

Quote from: Itchy on April 08, 2023, 09:53:50 PM
Quote from: seafoid on April 08, 2023, 09:38:43 PM
Quote from: Itchy on April 08, 2023, 09:14:26 PM
Quote from: seafoid on April 08, 2023, 09:08:34 PM
Quote from: Itchy on April 08, 2023, 08:06:54 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on April 08, 2023, 07:39:11 PM
You'd have to wonder how Antrim beat Cavan in the League because they were shocking today. For a championship game they put up no resistance and Armagh need not have been any better than average. I think Rafferty has been a big success as goalkeeper but sometimes he is too busy getting involved in plays he has no need to. Today was one of those days. Turbitt rightfully got MOTM and McPartland was excellent on his debut but other than that we will have had tougher training matches.

When you see the gulf in standard between divisions 1 & 3 I'm more confident that we can see off Cavan the next day out but nor would I expect them to be as easy as todays opponents as they're probably a division 2 outfit. We'll need Rian O'Neill, Burns and possibly Murnin back for for that game.

Both Cavan and Armagh are Div 2 teams

I don't see any reason Cavan would fear Armagh and I expect us to win that game.
Notionally they are but Cavan didn't play Kerry. Cavan played at a very different level. Armagh will be a lot faster than that.

Majority of our players spent 2 seasons in Div1. Armagh weren't good enough to stay in Div1 and will play in Div 2 next season - that's the reality.

Game is on Saturday 22nd
Armagh can't play in the Tailteann. That is a big difference.

If Armagh, who have won zero under McGeeney, are not 100% and completely focused on winning Ulster above all else then I am truly shocked.
Would like to think we are. Cavan game probably 50/50, Armagh maybe slight favourites which will suit yourselves down to the ground. Will be a serious dogfight.

yellowcard

You'd have to wonder how Antrim beat Cavan in the League because they were shocking today. For a championship game they put up no resistance and Armagh need not have been any better than average. I think Rafferty has been a big success as goalkeeper but sometimes he is too busy getting involved in plays he has no need to. Today was one of those days. Turbitt rightfully got MOTM and McPartland was excellent on his debut but other than that we will have had tougher training matches.

When you see the gulf in standard between divisions 1 & 3 I'm more confident that we can see off Cavan the next day out but nor would I expect them to be as easy as todays opponents as they're probably a division 2 outfit. We'll need Rian O'Neill, Burns and possibly Murnin back for for that game.

I don't see any reason Cavan would fear Armagh and I expect us to win that game.
Notionally they are but Cavan didn't play Kerry. Cavan played at a very different level. Armagh will be a lot faster than that.

Majority of our players spent 2 seasons in Div1. Armagh weren't good enough to stay in Div1 and will play in Div 2 next season - that's the reality.

Game is on Saturday 22nd

If Armagh, who have won zero under McGeeney, are not 100% and completely focused on winning Ulster above all else then I am truly shocked.

Ciaran McKeever has already stated that the priority is the All Ireland series. That's not to say they don't want to win Ulster but it is not the main priority for the season. For Cavan it is though since it is their only avenue to competing in the Sam Maguire.

In time the provincial series will become nothing more than glorified pre season competitions.

tyrone08

Should ulster not be the target for armagh? No point aiming for the big prize when you can't even win ulster

Itchy

Quote from: yellowcard on April 09, 2023, 10:04:55 AM

Game is on Saturday 22nd

Ciaran McKeever has already stated that the priority is the All Ireland series. That's not to say they don't want to win Ulster but it is not the main priority for the season. For Cavan it is though since it is their only avenue to competing in the Sam Maguire.

In time the provincial series will become nothing more than glorified pre season competitions.

If I believed Ciaran McKeever, which I don't, then I'd say that is the stupidest thing I'd have heard in a while. Armagh need to win something so I'm to believe they not that interested in winning ulster but are going to try win the all ireland? They've no chance of winning the all ireland. Or maybe Ciaran is getting his excuses in early?

twohands!!!

Quote from: Itchy on April 09, 2023, 10:10:17 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on April 09, 2023, 10:04:55 AM

Game is on Saturday 22nd

If I believed Ciaran McKeever, which I don't, then I'd say that is the stupidest thing I'd have heard in a while. Armagh need to win something so I'm to believe they not that interested in winning ulster but are going to try win the all ireland? They've no chance of winning the all ireland. Or maybe Ciaran is getting his excuses in early?

Winning your province will give you a big advantage in terms of winning Sam - as you'll be avoiding all the other provincial winners in the group stages plus you get a more favourable schedule in terms of your games. This gives you the best chance of winning your group (which is good for momentum) plus if a team wins their group, they will have a nice break as opposed to taking part in a 2nd v 3rd group play-off game the week before the quarter-finals.  I would have the four teams who win their provinces as the four main favourites to make the semi-finals /win Sam before the group stages start.

McKeever was either lying or doesn't have a proper grasp on the championship structure.

mackers

Itchy's hard on for Armagh will reach new heights over the next two weeks. He's off and running already.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

seafoid

Quote from: mackers on April 09, 2023, 02:36:21 PM
Itchy's hard on for Armagh will reach new heights over the next two weeks. He's off and running already.
Cavan have priceless division 4 experience that could swing it
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Itchy

Quote from: mackers on April 09, 2023, 02:36:21 PM

All I said is I expect Cavan to win and that Armagh should 100% be up for winning Ulster.

Orior

Rafferty - generally good under the high ball but caught out with the wind a few times. Kickouts good, and reasonable distribution when he ventured up field.
Morgan - good tight marker, but of all our backs he is most likely to foul
McKay - steady
Forker - steady and a great outlet on turnovers
Mackin - starting to get more out of him
McCabe - I think our best defender
McCambridge - great energy and good hands
Crealey - Good performance and great to have a target for kickouts
McPartlin - I was very impressed
Campbell - great running and just needed a bit of luck
Grugan - getting back to his best
Duffy - covered a lot of ground
Hall - best I have seen him play
Turbitt - great player to watch
Kelly - hopefully continues to get back to last year's levels
Subs
McQuillan - I want to see more from this man as I think he has great potential at county level
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Armamike

Hard to assess individual performances based on the quality of the opposition.  Antrim are a poor side.  But good to see the likes of Morgan and Crealey back and McPartland coming in and doing well with his chance. 

Cavan are going to be hard to beat in Breffni and we'll need to be at the top of our game.  They'll be very motivated as they'll need to get to an Ulster final under the new system, plus they are always motivated against us.  If we get over Cavan i'll be happy.
That's just, like your opinion man.

seafoid

Quote from: Orior on April 09, 2023, 07:18:57 PM
Rafferty - generally good under the high ball but caught out with the wind a few times. Kickouts good, and reasonable distribution when he ventured up field.
Morgan - good tight marker, but of all our backs he is most likely to foul
McKay - steady
Forker - steady and a great outlet on turnovers
Mackin - starting to get more out of him
McCabe - I think our best defender
McCambridge - great energy and good hands
Crealey - Good performance and great to have a target for kickouts
McPartlin - I was very impressed
Campbell - great running and just needed a bit of luck
Grugan - getting back to his best
Duffy - covered a lot of ground
Hall - best I have seen him play
Turbitt - great player to watch
Kelly - hopefully continues to get back to last year's levels
Subs
McQuillan - I want to see more from this man as I think he has great potential at county level
Kelly is low key so far this year
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

illdecide

Had to watch the Armagh game from Scotland...was a poor game but KMvG will be delighted to get thru that unscathed with a couple of positive performances and hopefully getting a few more back from injury. The Cavan game will be tough as they're a big strong side in the right areas and can lift their performances for big games. I expect Armagh to win this by 2-3pts but it will be close and certainly couldn't rule out a draw. Should be a full house and I expect it to go to the wire...Actually looking forward to this game and should be a cracker
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch