NFL Division 1 2024

Started by Blowitupref, January 16, 2023, 08:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weareros

Congrats to Mayo. Once they established that early lead, they always looked the likely winners even if Galway did get it back to the bare minimum on a couple of occasions. Left themselves too much to do as Mayo always capable of getting points down the other end, even if from 16th minute to injury time, they were only scoring from frees (some very debatable). However give Mayo frees and you will be punished as they now have Reape for long range and ROD for closer in, and COC to come on from later in championship. Heaney was a big loss for Galway, as Comer understandingly was not match fit. Overall it was a very poor game of football but intriguing none the less. Davy Burke will not have learnt anything he did not already know about Mayo. They start games at a million miles an hour, are very fit, are confident, and will be looking to blow us away in the first half in McHale park. We'll be up against it but as always we live in hope.

imtommygunn

It is an ambush waiting to happen.

Duine Eile

Disappointing performance from a Galway viewpoint, as others have said we can talk about the ref and the soft frees given at one end and not at the other but at the end of the day we didn't take so many scoring chances that were presented, we missed 4 placed balls and had 3 goal chances which could have been easy points in the second half, another day Shane gets all 4 of those points and at least one of those goals goes in. We got what we wanted out of the league I think, Johnny McGrath is a real option in the backs, Cian Hernon has a bit to go yet I think and John Maher has really stepped up since he got his chance. Kick outs/goalkeeping are still a major weakness though, even yesterday when mayo were giving us the short kick out Gleeson is dribbling ball along the ground to the backs putting them under immediate pressure, he looks in a panic every time he goes for a kick out. He mad a great save in fairness to him but the kick outs are a huge worry going into championship. I really think Power is a better option for that alone even though he's had his bad days too.

rosnarun

yhe big difference in the the Semi-final is that  24 or 15 or ( no new injuries on sunday) ) will probably start for mayo where as Galway will only start maybe 7 or 8 from yesterdays team .

A whole new ball game
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Armamike

Is this mostly a new Mayo team? Don't recognise many faces from the All Ireland appearances of past few years.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Armamike on April 03, 2023, 05:43:12 PM
Is this mostly a new Mayo team? Don't recognise many faces from the All Ireland appearances of past few years.
The new or newish players are Reape in goal and defenders David McBrien,Jack Coyne who along with Jack Carney was U20s in 2020 who lost to Galway on penalties (that Galway team went on to win the All Ireland after that match)  Enda Hession was also on that U20 team but currently injured. Sam Callinan is still U20 this year but I'm not sure will he be allowed to play in that championship.

The rest have been around for a number of years.  Stephen Coen, Conor Loftus, Diarmuid O'Connor;Mattie Ruane, James Carr all part of the Mayo U21 All Ireland winning team in 2016 then Jordan Flynn,Ryan O'Donoghue,Tommy Conroy from the 2018 U20 All Ireland finalists team. Of the starters yesterday Durcan,Aidan O'Shea the most experienced players.

joemamas

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on April 03, 2023, 02:05:25 PM
I don't know what more Mayo lads want, Reape was MOTM after, only conceded a point there and Heaney left the pitch, it's not like Reape got sent to the line unjustly or something.
There's more shite on social media with Mayo lads like yerman there whining about a bit of discussion on the Reape incident. Are they that upset over opinions that are irrelevant at this stage? Mayo won the match FFS, get on with it.

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 03, 2023, 02:01:02 PM
Some one said to me yesterday thet Galway have only won one game in Croke Park since 2001. That can't be true?
Yeah it's not true but sure you knew that well yourself.

An Fhairche Abu,

Please ignore the idiots on social media. A lot of them are kids, a lot others WUM.
Over the years I have found your analysis to be evenhanded and accurate.
I thought Reape could have/should have walked, it was late full stop. I hope Heaney is not badly injured.
As one Galway blogger posted yesterday, it was a game of small margins, Galway had 4 clear cut goal chances, if they got one of them, most likely result would have been different. If Comer had looked up for his chance A Galway player was running right thru at an empty net totally unmarked inside the the 14 yard line.
Matthew Tierney was non existent, never got into the game.
What's the story with Shane Walsh's inability to take frees with his right foot, some sort of injury ?.
Could be very critical come June or July.
Cooke as you mentioned is either a very lazy or bad tackler. Mayo's last point on the first half from a free, he let a Mayo man waltz around him between the 50-70, then ended up fouling him about 35-40 yards out.
As for my Mayo, a win is a win. As mentioned it has been a good league, however injuries may have taken their toll.
We could be without 4 starting backs for at least next Sunday, Coyne, McBrien, Hession and Brickenden. Certainly cannot be ignored. Roscommon's forwards are very decent, and if we have to face Galway in three weeks without them, I am not sure we have the replacements.
Positives, our forwards with the exception of Fionn McDonagh can kick scores, his role seems to be more of a defensive half forward if that isin't an anomaly. The movement of the forwards has been impressive and the lack of panic and giving that extra hand pass in tight quarters has resulted in a lot more scores. We do need Conroy on the field for longer, as it is unlikely that Cillian will be starting.
Aiden O Shea had been immense and truly unselfish all year.
Mayo are a work in progress, their tackling is frienzed and unselfish, management deserve a lot of credit for this, even yesterday, Galway had more than a few turnovers inside the 30 yard line.
I also thought Mayo got more from the ref than Galway, but given how we have gotten shafted by Deegan and McQuillan in particular, I will take it.
it is very possible that we will meet again in June or July.

WhoDat

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 03, 2023, 03:51:31 PM
It is an ambush waiting to happen.

hardly an ambush when everyone involved knows and played each other only a few weeks before.

WhoDat

Quote from: joemamas on April 03, 2023, 06:16:35 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on April 03, 2023, 02:05:25 PM
I don't know what more Mayo lads want, Reape was MOTM after, only conceded a point there and Heaney left the pitch, it's not like Reape got sent to the line unjustly or something.
There's more shite on social media with Mayo lads like yerman there whining about a bit of discussion on the Reape incident. Are they that upset over opinions that are irrelevant at this stage? Mayo won the match FFS, get on with it.

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 03, 2023, 02:01:02 PM
Some one said to me yesterday thet Galway have only won one game in Croke Park since 2001. That can't be true?
Yeah it's not true but sure you knew that well yourself.

An Fhairche Abu,

Please ignore the idiots on social media. A lot of them are kids, a lot others WUM.
Over the years I have found your analysis to be evenhanded and accurate.
I thought Reape could have/should have walked, it was late full stop. I hope Heaney is not badly injured.
As one Galway blogger posted yesterday, it was a game of small margins, Galway had 4 clear cut goal chances, if they got one of them, most likely result would have been different. If Comer had looked up for his chance A Galway player was running right thru at an empty net totally unmarked inside the the 14 yard line.
Matthew Tierney was non existent, never got into the game.
What's the story with Shane Walsh's inability to take frees with his right foot, some sort of injury ?.
Could be very critical come June or July.
Cooke as you mentioned is either a very lazy or bad tackler. Mayo's last point on the first half from a free, he let a Mayo man waltz around him between the 50-70, then ended up fouling him about 35-40 yards out.
As for my Mayo, a win is a win. As mentioned it has been a good league, however injuries may have taken their toll.
We could be without 4 starting backs for at least next Sunday, Coyne, McBrien, Hession and Brickenden. Certainly cannot be ignored. Roscommon's forwards are very decent, and if we have to face Galway in three weeks without them, I am not sure we have the replacements.
Positives, our forwards with the exception of Fionn McDonagh can kick scores, his role seems to be more of a defensive half forward if that isin't an anomaly. The movement of the forwards has been impressive and the lack of panic and giving that extra hand pass in tight quarters has resulted in a lot more scores. We do need Conroy on the field for longer, as it is unlikely that Cillian will be starting.
Aiden O Shea had been immense and truly unselfish all year.
Mayo are a work in progress, their tackling is frienzed and unselfish, management deserve a lot of credit for this, even yesterday, Galway had more than a few turnovers inside the 30 yard line.
I also thought Mayo got more from the ref than Galway, but given how we have gotten shafted by Deegan and McQuillan in particular, I will take it.
it is very possible that we will meet again in June or July.

no way should reape have walked. ref made the right call with the yellow. it would have been a yellow out the field. a red for that would have been crazy and completely overzealous.

Wildweasel74

Lad who hasn't played much fball, that was a red.

marty34

Goalie was late and did take him out of it...literally. The lad had to go off!

Goalie was nowhere near the ball.

WhoDat

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on April 03, 2023, 11:46:38 PM

it wasn't in a million years, pal. yellow at best. people acting like he went in studs up and broke heaneys leg or something. it was a collision that warranted little more than a yellow.

From the Bunker

Can we draw a line under the Red/Yellow/Black Goalie incident. All the talking in the world won't change that decision. Believe me as a Mayo man we have been here ourselves and rationally thinking about it only prolongs the pain.

Mayo getting seriously over-hyped by their League run and the League final. There is a big come down only around the corner. Galway have to remember that last years Championship success was last year. Both were poor yesterday. I honestly think both teams have a lot of work to do for the summer, if they are to have a summer.

Roscommon have been seriously looked down upon by the media as if their survival in Division One was some sort of fluke. In the media this coming week it will be talk about Mayo, Roscommon will be treated as some sort of side-show. This I see as very dangerous!

joemamas

Quote from: WhoDat on April 04, 2023, 12:11:02 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on April 03, 2023, 11:46:38 PM

it wasn't in a million years, pal. yellow at best. people acting like he went in studs up and broke heaneys leg or something. it was a collision that warranted little more than a yellow.

Thanks Kerry for Sam or what ever other alias you may be using nowdays.

From the Bunker

Elverys have this number plate for sale for €0.25. Out of date the year after!