NFL Division 1 2024

Started by Blowitupref, January 16, 2023, 08:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Some one said to me yesterday thet Galway have only won one game in Croke Park since 2001. That can't be true?

gander

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 03, 2023, 02:01:02 PM
Some one said to me yesterday thet Galway have only won one game in Croke Park since 2001. That can't be true?

won 2 there in the championship last year alone (armagh and derry)

An Fhairche Abu

I don't know what more Mayo lads want, Reape was MOTM after, only conceded a point there and Heaney left the pitch, it's not like Reape got sent to the line unjustly or something.
There's more shite on social media with Mayo lads like yerman there whining about a bit of discussion on the Reape incident. Are they that upset over opinions that are irrelevant at this stage? Mayo won the match FFS, get on with it.

Yeah it's not true but sure you knew that well yourself.

armaghniac

If you only count Armagh games.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

From the Bunker

Quote from: armaghniac on April 03, 2023, 02:07:14 PM

If you only count Armagh games.

Armagh game was a draw settled by penalties.

Armagh18

Maybe pre last year?

An Fhairche Abu

Kildare 2017
Derry 2022

Saved you some onerous research there FTB to figure out it's only the two matches.
How many have Mayo won over the same timeframe, must be nearly 30ish you'd think. Incredible record in fairness, only for they had to play that Dubs team it would be so much more as well, some county, the best fans as well.

Gael85

Quote from: gander on April 03, 2023, 02:02:44 PM

won 2 there in the championship last year alone (armagh and derry)

Won against Kerry in 2018 in Super 8s group game.

An Fhairche Abu

FYI - only knockout games count for the likes of FTB, that Kerry win may as well not have happened.

Maroon Manc

Mayo awarded 8 frees within the scoring zone in the first 70 minutes from which 7 were converted yesterday compared to Galway's 1, 2nd free didn't come until the 75th minute.

I've watched it back and Joyce, O'Neill & Co will be fuming when they do; Some of those decisions were an utter joke and clearly impacted on the game. Mayo went 55 minutes without scoring from play.

From the Bunker

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on April 03, 2023, 02:25:07 PM
FYI - only knockout games count for the likes of FTB, that Kerry win may as well not have happened.

In fairness it may not have been a knock out championship game but it helped Galway qualify for an AI Semi-final.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Maroon Manc on April 03, 2023, 02:30:26 PM
Mayo awarded 8 frees within the scoring zone in the first 70 minutes from which 7 were converted yesterday compared to Galway's 1, 2nd free didn't come until the 75th minute.

I've watched it back and Joyce, O'Neill & Co will be fuming when they do; Some of those decisions were an utter joke and clearly impacted on the game. Mayo went 55 minutes without scoring from play.
Galway had enough chances to overcome any of that stuff and didn't take them, blaming the ref isn't going to be useful in rectifying what went wrong yesterday. When Comer didn't get a stonewall free in and there was puffball stuff given at the other end, that's just the way it's going to be, good teams can surmount those problems. Galway tackling wasn't good enough either at times, it has to be said.
In fairness to the referee though, he probably didn't want to hear anymore ringing booing of the Galway freetaker from the stands unless it was absolutely necessary.
Presumably those booing were the Dubs fans who stayed in for the second match because it surely wasn't the Mayo fans at it.
But the main thing we've learned from Mayo Gaa fans on social media is that Reape is the real victim of any referee decision yesterday, please keep that in mind.

befair

Yeh, blame the ref, it was him that kicked all the Galway wides

GalwayBayBoy

Have the day off so rewatched the game for my sins this morning. Galway will obviously be very disappointed but will probably realise had they tidied a couple things up and were even a small bit more clinical, they would probably have won the game.

First 12 minutes really cost them. Mayo scored 3 points off unforced errors from Galway players with loose hand passes in the middle third of the field which led to Mayo counter attacks. McHugh, Cooke and the third name escapes me. These weren't even a result of good Mayo pressure or tackling. Just sloppy basic errors.

A look at the stats really tells a tale. Galway with 5 goal chances (if you include Heaney's) to 1 for Mayo. Galway had more shots. Had more shots from play. Had more turnovers. More wides. Where they were killed was the free count/45's. Mayo with 10 points from placed balls. Galway only had 4.

I don't think the frees need to be raked over again only to say you would be extremely surprised to get some of those in championship. The Tommy Conroy one is a free the other way I'd say 8 times out of 10. The non award for the Comer one he hit wide while being pulled off balance was mind boggling given what was going on at the other end.

However, Galway's wastefulness rather than frees was their main problem. They still could have overcome the free count had they even been a tad more clinical. Hopefully that comes with match sharpness for a few players that are probably a bit off their top level yet.

Individually I thought some of the performances were good. Maher is now a live option all of a sudden. Mayo struggled to contain his hard running at times before he tired. He reminds me a bit of Michael Dara MacAuley in that he looks a bit awkward at times albeit effective. After a difficult first 15 minutes I thought by the second half Johnny McGrath had gotten on top of O'Donoghue. No easy task for a young player breaking through. Not getting anything out of Tierney when he was Galway's best player during the league certainly didn't help. The ball just didn't seem go his way on the day. Hernon was taken off for the second game in a row. Tough on a young player but he's missed a lot of football recently and just doesn't look up to the speed of the intercounty game yet. His massively telegraphed shot early on that was blocked down probably an example of this. Molloy's spot there at wing-back is probably up for grabs by someone.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on April 03, 2023, 02:50:16 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on April 03, 2023, 02:30:26 PM

Galway had enough chances to overcome any of that stuff and didn't take them, blaming the ref isn't going to be useful in rectifying what went wrong yesterday. When Comer didn't get a stonewall free in and there was puffball stuff given at the other end, that's just the way it's going to be, good teams can surmount those problems. Galway tackling wasn't good enough either at times, it has to be said.
In fairness to the referee though, he probably didn't want to hear anymore ringing booing of the Galway freetaker from the stands unless it was absolutely necessary.
Presumably those booing were the Dubs fans who stayed in for the second match because it surely wasn't the Mayo fans at it.
But the main thing we've learned from Mayo Gaa fans on social media is that Reape is the real victim of any referee decision yesterday, please keep that in mind.

I agree Galway created enough chances to win it, 9 attempts missed from Walsh, Comer & Finnerty alone; Not one of them is 100% fit yet so would like to think that won't be replicated for the rest of the summer.

The opening 15 minutes killed Galway, giving Mayo a 5 point head start was very poor and meant Galway were always going to need a goal to win it.