Division 2 2024

Started by Captain Scarlet, January 16, 2023, 02:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Quote from: Blowitupref on March 20, 2023, 03:46:26 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on March 20, 2023, 12:07:08 PM
Quote from: Eire90 on March 20, 2023, 04:31:23 AM
are louth darkhorses/contenders for the all ireland

Louth have had a meteoric rise but compete for Sam Maguire, come off it. They would have a good chance of competing to win a Tailteann Cup and for them it is a pity that they were denied an opportunity two years running since despite their progress, there is nothing to beat lifting meaningful silverware. With the exception of Dublin and Derry there is a huge gap between division one and the rest of division two now.

Reaching a Leinster final and or All Ireland Quarter final v winning Tailteann Cup.  Which would bring more interest to the Louth players,management and supporters? I think the former.

Regardless what happens on Sunday against Dublin it's been a great Div 2 campaign by Louth. Last time they were in Div 2 (2018) they were totally out of their depth losing all 7 games with a points difference of -67

Full credit to Mickey Harte (71 years young) and his management on the  job/improvement they have done with Louth.  Took on the Louth gig in November 2020 when they were just relegated to Division 4 losing 6 of their 7 games. March 2023 3rd in Div 2 with 8 points only defeat was against the best team in this Division Derry by just 3 points.

I would say reaching a Leinster final is their first priority. After that I would put winning a Tailteann Cup over an AI QF appearance. I'd imagine Westmeath had a much more enjoyable and rewarding season last year than Clare did for example. When you look back on your career you will remember lifting a trophy in Croke Park and the homecoming afterwards a lot more than the inevitable 10 point drubbing in an AI quarter final. There is of course no guarantee that they would either win a Tailteann Cup or reach an AI quarter final.   

Blowitupref

Quote from: yellowcard on March 20, 2023, 04:01:27 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on March 20, 2023, 03:46:26 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on March 20, 2023, 12:07:08 PM
Quote from: Eire90 on March 20, 2023, 04:31:23 AM
are louth darkhorses/contenders for the all ireland

Louth have had a meteoric rise but compete for Sam Maguire, come off it. They would have a good chance of competing to win a Tailteann Cup and for them it is a pity that they were denied an opportunity two years running since despite their progress, there is nothing to beat lifting meaningful silverware. With the exception of Dublin and Derry there is a huge gap between division one and the rest of division two now.

Reaching a Leinster final and or All Ireland Quarter final v winning Tailteann Cup.  Which would bring more interest to the Louth players,management and supporters? I think the former.

Regardless what happens on Sunday against Dublin it's been a great Div 2 campaign by Louth. Last time they were in Div 2 (2018) they were totally out of their depth losing all 7 games with a points difference of -67

Full credit to Mickey Harte (71 years young) and his management on the  job/improvement they have done with Louth.  Took on the Louth gig in November 2020 when they were just relegated to Division 4 losing 6 of their 7 games. March 2023 3rd in Div 2 with 8 points only defeat was against the best team in this Division Derry by just 3 points.

I would say reaching a Leinster final is their first priority. After that I would put winning a Tailteann Cup over an AI QF appearance. I'd imagine Westmeath had a much more enjoyable and rewarding season last year than Clare did for example. When you look back on your career you will remember lifting a trophy in Croke Park and the homecoming afterwards a lot more than the inevitable 10 point drubbing in an AI quarter final. There is of course no guarantee that they would either win a Tailteann Cup or reach an AI quarter final.

Clare would have felt on top of the world for reaching that Quarter final and looking at the two league campaigns of Clare and Roscommon this year they were punching above their weight to win that match.  While it's nice  lifting a trophy in Croke Park and the homecoming afterwards when the dust settles Westmeath would know they won a competition with teams in similar quality as themselves  and if they were to reach All Ireland Quarter final this summer it would be a bigger achievement.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Cunny Funt

Division 2 title is a higher level/standard competition to win than the Tailteann Cup.  Was a good buy in for the 1st year of the Tailteann cup and it will need that to continue for the next 2 or 3 years to keep the interest going. Debatable if a group stage instead of knock out football is the way to go.

Clare v Cork Munster championship game in Ennis makes for intriguing contest whereby if Clare lose they'll go into Tailteann Cup and probably go into the All Ireland group stage by winning.

seafoid

https://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2023/0326/1366404-allianz-football-league-updates/

Should one more Division 3/4 team, outside of Connacht, reach a provincial decider, then Meath may be bound for Tailteann Cup football.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

tonto1888

Well lads, how has been here? Be seeing you again next year

GAABoardMod5

Quote from: seafoid on March 26, 2023, 03:47:53 PM
https://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2023/0326/1366404-allianz-football-league-updates/

Should one more Division 3/4 team, outside of Connacht, reach a provincial decider, then Meath may be bound for Tailteann Cup football.

Unless Meath themselves make the Leinster final, which is quite possible.

Leinster semifinals:

Kildare or Wicklow/Carlow V Dublin or Wexford/Laois

Meath or Longford/Offaly V Westmeath or Louth.

GAABoardMod5

Ulster semifinals could produce a Div 3 finalist...

Fermanagh or Derry V Tyrone or Monaghan

Donegal or Down V Cavan or Armagh/Antrim

thejuice

I don't think I can even get mad about it at this point if we do end up in the TC.I don't get the sense we're going anywhere under O'Rourke. Mi go t be early days but this league doesn't fill me with any confidence.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

FermGael

Nice to see everybody again.

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Captain Scarlet

Kildare gave Conleths a nice send-off but there were two bad teams on show! I thought we had no shape but we should have killed Meath off numerous times.

I think that we have a bit more in us to kick back into gear and lads have stepped up a bit in recent weeks. Both sets of fans might think we should be doing more and that Tailteann Cup is below us, but the reality is there for everyone to see.

Again, I think Kildare have just about steadied the ship whereas Meath look like they are going the other way.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Blowitupref

Dublin team Eoin Murchan,Ciaran Kilkenny was named to start but don't

David O'Hanlon
Michael Fitzsimons David Byrne Daire Newcombe
Cian Murphy John Small Lee Gannon
Brian Fenton James McCarthy
Killan O'Gara Con O'Callaghan Sean Bugler
Colm Basquel Dean Rock  Tom Lahiff

Derry two changes from the published team with Ben MCCarron,Benny Heron starting

Odhran Lynch
Padraig McGrogan Ben McCarron Conor McCluskey
Padraig Cassidy Gareth McKinless Conor Doherty
Conor Glass Brendan Rogers
Niall Toner Paul Cassidy  Ethan Doherty
Benny Heron Shane McGuigan Niall Loughlin
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

yellowcard

Would somebody seriously have a word with or get Rory Gallagher a pair of gloves.

AustinPowers

There's  something you don't see everyday. A  player down injured  and   getting medical attention , trying to block  an opponents shot

yellowcard

Nothing going right for Dublin no.22 so far.

Blowitupref

Dean Rock Dublins top scorer in this league campaign with 1-21 off injured and 2nd top scorer Cormac Costello with 1-14 not on the 26 today.

20 minutes played Derry lead 0-4 to 0-3