Division 2 2024

Started by Captain Scarlet, January 16, 2023, 02:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: ck on March 05, 2023, 08:58:31 PM
Quote from: thejuice on March 05, 2023, 05:53:53 PM
Meath can't defend at all. Don't know what the issue is. We're conceding loads every game. There's good individual defenders in Keoghan and Adam O'Neill but as a unit they're porous.

We don't have a hope against Dublin but Kildare look beatable but it would be typical of them to have their best game against us.

Is it fair to say that O'Rourkes ideology (kicking the ball in like its 1987) is being found out as being outdated in 2023?

Yes, O'Rourke spent the guts of 20 years in the glass house in Croke Park and various venues around the country telling Managers to kick the ball in. He is all over the place in this Division.

thejuice

We all know that but O'Rourke isn't the only one on the sideline. Bray, Callaghan and Garrigan were supposed to keep us grounded in the 21st century.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

seafoid

Quote from: thejuice on March 06, 2023, 05:29:59 AM
We all know that but O'Rourke isn't the only one on the sideline. Bray, Callaghan and Garrigan were supposed to keep us grounded in the 21st century.
If Meath were organised they wouldn't be in Division 2 . Turning around more than a decade of mediocrity usually takes more than 5 matches.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Mario

I'm still a bit nervous about Derry's match v Clare. I'm sure they will an extra incentive after last year's quarter final and they have looked good in spells this year, certainly better than their points tally suggests. Really don't want to be going to Cork in the last game needing a result to secure promotion. Derry definitely aren't home and dry yet.

Estimator

Excellent result for Derry at the weekend.  I think if you told any supporter at the start of the league that Derry would only need one point from their final two fixtures, we would have been delighted.  But tempered with the fact that following Derry over the years have delivered a good few shocking results.  So there is absolutely nothing guaranteed.

Of the game itself, Derry didn't/couldn't build any momentum, due to poor shooting and how good Dublin were. Counted 1-5 that on another day would've been scored: 3 frees – 2 wide and one short, 2 poor wides from straight in front of goals and Loughlins goal opportunity, he scored a more difficult one last week against Kildare.  Another step/dummy and it would've been an open goal as the keeper was committed to going down.  The large crowd didn't really have anything to shout about in the first half.

Second half comeback didn't look to be on, but the introduction of McKinless was the catalyst, others played a massive role and showed no fear. Obviously Rogers and especially McWilliams and Murray, when they came on.  I'd agree with the Toner substitution being bizarre.  Looks like RG has 19 players that he trusts and after that players are struggling for game time.  McCarron, Cassidy and others would've massively benefitted from an appearance. 

As for the ref, I was neither impressed nor shocked at his decision making.  Sometimes he allowed for robust challenges on both sides, other times he didn't.  Some things he blew for, and a few minutes later allowed play to continue. Told players numerous times to get up and get on with it, if he thought they were trying to con him. Thought Fitzsimons could have got the line earlier, thought McCarthy might have got away with a hand trip -black card, foul blown, but that was it.  Haven't seen it again to confirm. 

Was right in line with Kilkenny's run at goal, could see that the flick across was on and was delighted he took the point. Though, at the time, I still thought that point might have been enough for Dublin to get over the line.

Enjoyable second half. And fingers crossed Derry get the points against Clare, a trip to Cork for the final fixture with things still hanging in the balance will not be a fun trip.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: Cunny Funt on March 05, 2023, 09:58:45 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 05, 2023, 09:40:38 PM
In fairness to O'Rourke it's his first season. Padraic Joyce only got going in year 3.

Doubt O'Rourke will see three years with Meath that's the difference. He could well walk after this years championship.

They showed serious patience with McEntee to be fair.

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on March 08, 2023, 11:04:57 AM
In fairness to O'Rourke it's his first season. Padraic Joyce only got going in year 3.

Doubt O'Rourke will see three years with Meath that's the difference. He could well walk after this years championship.

What do Meath fans expect? The county team needs a big rebuild job.

Blowitupref

Quote from: armaghniac on March 08, 2023, 03:17:57 PM
Mulroy out for the remainder, that will not help Louth. https://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2023/0308/1360962-blow-for-louth-as-mulroy-to-miss-rest-of-league/

Big blow to Louth unlikely to feature much if at all in the championship.

Louth's objective of avoiding relegation is more of less achieved with two games to spare. When you consider Mickey Harte took on the Louth gig in November 2020 when they were just relegated to Division 4 losing 6 of their 7 games you get to realise how much they have improved under his watch.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

From the Bunker

In fairness McEntee got Meath into Division One. He was completely smothered in Leinster by a rampant Dublin.

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 08, 2023, 08:53:41 PM

In fairness McEntee got Meath into Division One. He was completely smothered in Leinster by a rampant Dublin.
Did they not go straight down again ?

Captain Scarlet

Meath were let slide for a long time and he will need time. Kildare seem in freefall and the basic basic errors are a joke during games. Like a lot of that team steamrolled Louth last year.

If they do end up in the Tailteann, we may not snub our noses at it, but many will. The reality is that I said at the outset that ourselves and Meath could both see the wheels come off if things didn't go well.

There is a strange managerial messiah thing in Kildare whereby the boss gets all the credit when we do well and the players not as much. Then when it goes dodgy the manager is a great mud guard.

I will ALWAYS say I have never seen a county team where experienced player so do so many stupid things in games.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

seafoid

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on March 08, 2023, 11:50:22 PM
Meath were let slide for a long time and he will need time. Kildare seem in freefall and the basic basic errors are a joke during games. Like a lot of that team steamrolled Louth last year.

If they do end up in the Tailteann, we may not snub our noses at it, but many will. The reality is that I said at the outset that ourselves and Meath could both see the wheels come off if things didn't go well.

There is a strange managerial messiah thing in Kildare whereby the boss gets all the credit when we do well and the players not as much. Then when it goes dodgy the manager is a great mud guard.

I will ALWAYS say I have never seen a county team where experienced player so do so many stupid things in games.
I don't think that is a Kildare thing as much as the situation that Kildare have been in for so long. People in Meath, Cork and Down would be familiar with it.

I know what it looks like because I have seen it with the Galway hurlers and footballers at various stages. 
There is no accuracy. There is no consistency. There is a high number of turnovers. There is a high turnover of players. There is no progress.In Galway this stage is called "pure  fuckin usheless".

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B