Assaults at GAA games

Started by Rudi, September 01, 2022, 11:57:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: Rudi on September 02, 2022, 10:36:02 AM
The game was about 2 minutes into the second half, when the incident happened.

That makes more sense - people were saying it was from the throw in, but it looked like a hop ball. Still doesn't really help your man though

WeeDonns

Quote from: Cavan19 on September 02, 2022, 10:30:24 AM
Quote from: bigarsedkeeper on September 02, 2022, 10:21:05 AM
To lose the head after 30 seconds is a serious problem. How do you get wound up that quickly?
You would wonder is there history between the two of them and was it pre-planned as he didn't look anyway agitated walking onto the field.

Seen on twitter, so could be balls, that the guy's son got sent off in the first half
If true, and with the way he calmly walked on -did whatever he did - and returned to his spot,
It might be fair to say it was a premeditated, not a spur of the moment thing - the challenge & free in the video certainly don't seem to be enough to react like that!

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on September 02, 2022, 12:00:50 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on September 02, 2022, 10:28:17 AM
Most disturbing thing about the footage for me is that nobody else there seems to care. No mad rush to help the referee or apprehend the assailant.

It's like what I mentioned earlier, fight or flight. A lot of people would be reluctant in that scenario for not wanting to potentially escalate things.

Just to add, in my long time here on this forum, several times over the years on the Tyrone club thread it has been implied by some posters that bringing similar incidents like the one in question here to the attention of the PSNI if they occurred in Tyrone would be, to put it politely, frowned upon. F*ck that shit. You don't get leave way to assault people on a GAA pitch that you wouldn't get away with in a street or home.

This  happened with us. A supporter of ours(not a paying member) was attacked by a player from opposing taem and badly injured, it led to a big melee. Both clubs got fined and that was it. The supporter then decided to take a personal case against the player, it was his own prerogative, totally outside our control. Because of that the decision was reversed and we lost all our home games for a year-that particular board didn't want PSNI involvement. Sad really

Milltown Row2

If you didn't involve the police when assaulted you are encouraging such behaviour, If a fight broke out in the crowd and someone ended up with a broken jaw, would we inform the police or just get on with it? I can't see any distinction between getting assaulted on the pitch or in the street
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 02, 2022, 01:11:20 PM
If you didn't involve the police when assaulted you are encouraging such behaviour, If a fight broke out in the crowd and someone ended up with a broken jaw, would we inform the police or just get on with it? I can't see any distinction between getting assaulted on the pitch or in the street

Here, here

J70

Quote from: Rudi on September 02, 2022, 08:35:56 AM
Another referee was assaulted at the weekend in a Junior B game in Donegal by a player this time. No surprises as to the club involved.

Which club?

I've been out of the Donegal club scene for a long time now.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on September 02, 2022, 12:29:59 PM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on September 02, 2022, 12:00:50 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on September 02, 2022, 10:28:17 AM
Most disturbing thing about the footage for me is that nobody else there seems to care. No mad rush to help the referee or apprehend the assailant.

It's like what I mentioned earlier, fight or flight. A lot of people would be reluctant in that scenario for not wanting to potentially escalate things.

Just to add, in my long time here on this forum, several times over the years on the Tyrone club thread it has been implied by some posters that bringing similar incidents like the one in question here to the attention of the PSNI if they occurred in Tyrone would be, to put it politely, frowned upon. F*ck that shit. You don't get leave way to assault people on a GAA pitch that you wouldn't get away with in a street or home.

This  happened with us. A supporter of ours(not a paying member) was attacked by a player from opposing taem and badly injured, it led to a big melee. Both clubs got fined and that was it. The supporter then decided to take a personal case against the player, it was his own prerogative, totally outside our control. Because of that the decision was reversed and we lost all our home games for a year-that particular board didn't want PSNI involvement. Sad really

That's really not good. I have seen that kind of side before at club level rather than county and it's not good and tbh it has to stop. It should come from the top that it has to.

johnnycool

Quote from: Stall the Bailer on September 01, 2022, 05:12:56 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on September 01, 2022, 04:49:33 PM
Quote from: Stall the Bailer on September 01, 2022, 04:36:28 PM
A few things that could be done to help prevent this are,
Limiting the number of people inside the wire.
Only those inside the wire are the starting players, limited number of subs eg. 5  one medic and 2 of the management team (they are not allowed inside unless they have they required vetting, safeguarding and coaching certs). All names on the team sheet. Only club officials who have underwent official GAA training for umpiring or linesman can do that role.
Meaning clubs would need to ensure everyone has the required training if the person is to be inside the wire.
Would stop the local lunatic being involved as they see themselves above training courses. Would also mean the club would need to put a lot people forward for the training to ensure someone can be inside the wire.
Strong sanctions on anyone entering the playing area if not one of the listed names on the team sheets.

By the looks of the video he was one of the teams management and should have been on the teamsheet.

The club gets put out of that competition unless they put the culprit up for sanctions due to his actions. I'd say every dog in the area know exactly who he is.

Looks like he is a mentor. What I am saying is you can only become a mentor once you are vetted and done the relevant coaching and safeguarding courses. The person here may be vetted and have the relevant courses, but something like this should strip you of all that and prevent him ever being a mentor again.

Do you know who has vetting and coaching qualifications in your club? It should be the minimum requirement to deter the local head cases having a negative impact on everyone they encounter. As far as I can see there is little to no barriers to prevent the wrong people being involved.

It is a requirement to be vetted (Access NI ) and have completed the child safeguarding course to be a coach in any club if you're following the rules of the association.

I've a list generated each year by the Ulster Council of who's up to date on their vetting and their child safeguarding. I'd say that's the same in most clubs/counties/provinces.

Blowitupref

Roscommon Referee's Committee have withdrawn their services for all matches scheduled in the county for today, tomorrow and Sunday.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

armaghniac

Do you lose your child vetting if you are convicted of assault?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on September 02, 2022, 04:11:17 PM

I think Access NI only tells you what that person has, is there a separate part that refuses the person before he completes the course should he have a conviction of assault?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: armaghniac on September 02, 2022, 04:11:17 PM

No. It's at the employers discretion, for some obvious offences you would be barred

Rudi

Quote from: J70 on September 02, 2022, 01:36:20 PM
Quote from: Rudi on September 02, 2022, 08:35:56 AM
Another referee was assaulted at the weekend in a Junior B game in Donegal by a player this time. No surprises as to the club involved.

Which club?

I've been out of the Donegal club scene for a long time now.

PM sent

ONeill

What's the official ruling on a manager/mentor setting foot on the pitch during a game?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: ONeill on September 02, 2022, 08:51:21 PM
What's the official ruling on a manager/mentor setting foot on the pitch during a game?

Happens every game