6 County Assembly Elections - 5th May 2022

Started by Snapchap, February 23, 2022, 10:18:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snapchap

Quote from: seafoid on May 17, 2023, 03:57:22 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 17, 2023, 02:58:38 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 17, 2023, 02:34:34 PM
SF are very popular but they do SFA for the local  economy which is a mess.

Is that local to you in Galway?
It's the Northern Command of SF. They control  a lot of the financial levers but they can't get the economy going.
The North needs to be dolled up economically if reunification is going to work. If it was now there wouldn't be a majority in the south for reunification.

Sinn Féin "control a lot of the financial levers but can't get the economy going"?  ??? That's quite the statement to have to unpack.

The financial levers are firmly held by the tories. Stormont has no fiscal powers. It has also been in suspension because of the DUP boycott. When Stormont is running, the economy minister is Diane Dodds of the DUP.

So holding SF responsible for the north's economic state is just bizarre. The economy of the north is entirely dictated from London. And why is it in the state it is? Why has the handout from Westminster been slashed? Because English MPs don't get votes here.

As part of the Tory Gorvernment's central policy of "Levelling Up", a 'Levelling Up' office was set up in Belfast to distribute the cash supposed to be doled out to each region. The fund under it's remit, called the 'Shared Prosperity Fund", was slashed for the north, while the mechanics of distributing it were termed by the top Finance and Economy civil servants in Stormont to be "highly sub-optimal". Is that 'Levelling Up" office run by SF then? No. It's run by British Government and is not answerable to anybody here. Sinn Féin's fault? I should also add that the 'Levelling Up Fund' was proclaimed to be a replacement for the money we used to get from the European Social Fund. But that fund stopped after Brexit. Who brought us Brexit? The tories. Who helped them? the DUP. Sinn Féin's fault?

Anyway, it is hard to roll the eyes any time anyone talk about the north's economy. As Brian Feeney said: "The north's economy? This isn't a country. It isn't the size of Yorkshire. It doesn't have an economy".

RedHand88

Stormont has no fiscal powers? What does the Finance minister do?

There is more spent on Health per person here than anywhere across the water. The Tories spend more on health in Tyrone than they do in the Shire counties.

Snapchap

Quote from: RedHand88 on May 18, 2023, 02:18:23 PM

There is more spent on Health per person here than anywhere across the water. The Tories spend more on health in Tyrone than they do in the Shire counties.

Have you been under the impression that Stormont has tax raising powers this whole time?  :o

johnnycool

Too many wee, shíte hospitals as per the Bengoa report.

To implement the changes required a huge upfront investment is needed and that's not forthcoming from Westminster and Stormont hasn't the ability to raise its own finances on international markets.

I'm not defending SF as it's the same for whoever is "in power" in Stormont.

clarshack

Quote from: trailer on May 18, 2023, 12:47:21 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on May 18, 2023, 12:21:58 PM
Quote from: marty34 on May 18, 2023, 12:19:02 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on May 18, 2023, 11:56:10 AM
Quote from: Eire90 on May 18, 2023, 11:40:29 AM
https://twitter.com/brendanhughes64/status/1659121620802322434?cxt=HHwWhIC-8duUsYYuAAAA

Tell them to eff off! I know they sit inside and listen to the names called so they can score them off. Then at teatime they go back to base, enter them into the computer and draw up a list of ones who:

1) showed intention to vote for you during canvassing and
2) have not voted yet and "may need a lift nudge nudge" to the polling station for the evening time.

Thought this was supposed to have cut out as they are technically storing data on you without your consent. I know it was a big story in the south.

Source: I used to be involved in this crap myself.

Yeah, i think there's people sitting at tables inside who tick off your name. From political parties.  They can see then the turnout and who has voted etc.

I don't think it's illegal as it's actually inside the room where you vote.
def not illegal surely or they'd be stopped. Don't have any issue with them trying to get turnout as high as possible. Everyone should be voting

Only one party has the man power and the funds to make this happen. It's a peak behind the curtain for when the eventually come to power in the South. You've been warned! East Germany wouldn't have a look in!!!

just voted and yeah it was only the Shinners at it.

trailer

Remember if it is a good news story then Sinn Fein delivered it. If it's not, then it is DUP/Tories/ fault.

Snapchap

Quote from: trailer on May 18, 2023, 03:22:43 PM

Remember if it is a good news story then Sinn Fein delivered it. If it's not, then it is DUP/Tories/ fault.

Ok sorry Trailer. You're right. Stormont isn't currently suspended. And it does have fiscal powers. And SF is the sole party governing the place. And Gerry Adams did eat your hamster. My bad.

FFS I know the stoops are about to have yet another bad day but seriously, try to seem a little less triggered, will you?

trailer

Quote from: Snapchap on May 18, 2023, 03:36:55 PM

Ok sorry Trailer. You're right. Stormont isn't currently suspended. And it does have fiscal powers. And SF is the sole party governing the place. And Gerry Adams did eat your hamster. My bad.

FFS I know the stoops are about to have yet another bad day but seriously, try to seem a little less triggered, will you?

Only one party are Stoops now! Michelle and her Coronation antics! Brits out? More like Tea and Buns with the Brits!
Remember when SF kept Stormont down? No?

Snapchap

Quote from: trailer on May 18, 2023, 03:45:24 PM

Only one party are Stoops now! Michelle and her Coronation antics! Brits out? More like Tea and Buns with the Brits!

Remember when Stormont took on full tax raising powers under a SF majority government? Yeah me neither. Still though, what a mess SF have single handedly made of the economy, eh?

trailer

Quote from: Snapchap on May 18, 2023, 03:51:52 PM

Remember when Stormont took on full tax raising powers under a SF majority government? Yeah me neither. Still though, what a mess SF have single handedly made of the economy, eh?

Yes of course good government can only be delivered by majority government with full tax raising powers. Michelle should have asked Charlie for this when she was over at his Coronation.

Snapchap

Quote from: trailer on May 18, 2023, 04:03:53 PM
Quote from: Snapchap on May 18, 2023, 03:51:52 PM

Yes of course good government can only be delivered by majority government with full tax raising powers. Michelle should have asked Charlie for this when she was over at his Coronation.

Was it a cute little hamster? You must have been particularly close to it.

full moon

What powers do councillors have in the North? Because in ROI local councillors have so little powers now I'm struggling to understand why we still have them. It's clear central government have totally taken power away and the leading civil servants in government departments call the shots on practically everything now along with government ministers. Even backbench TDs seem to have little influence.

Local democracy is basically a thing of the past it seems. Are local elections/councillors just now a facade to pretend that people have a say or choice in what happens?

marty34

I wonder what was the turnout yesterday?

smort

Read that it was 52% last time out, would guess it's <50 this time

The Coddfather

Quote from: marty34 on May 19, 2023, 07:26:57 AM
I wonder what was the turnout yesterday?

Early reports would suggest around 53.4%