Travel to Cuba

Started by Shamrock Shore, January 30, 2022, 10:45:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamrock Shore

Anyone done this in the past few years? Pre Covid like.

I've been told to imagine a country run by Longford County Council.

Bear in mind I'm an auld fella so kipping in a squalid hovel with wife and 18 ye old daughter is not an option.

Any thoughts appreciated

Aughafad

I was there in the summer of 2019 for 2 weeks, flew in via London with Virgin (great flight). The airport is like something from a 1980's cold war movie with massive queue's, guards with machine guns and really intimidating security.
Spent a week based in Havana with day trips to the bay of pigs and dinar del rio, and then a week in Varadero which is a tourist resort akin to cancun only poorer. I loved the people and seeing the genuine cuba before the americans make it all like cancun.
It's not a country for children as there is nothing really for them to do. I had issues with the food quality but i'm very picky but the other half had no issue. In varadero food isn't an issue.

Overall it is the safest country I've probably ever been to, the people are really nice, really patriotic and proud of their country. If you want to see a country warts and all before modern life completely takes it over id definitely say go now.

Shamrock Shore

Thanks Aughafad...appreciate the reply.

gallsman

Was 2015 when I was there so I don't know how much has changed, but couldn't recommend it highly enough. Havana is incredible. The people largely live their lives outside, especially during summer. Walking down the Malecon at midnight, there'll be families, teenagers, grannies and grandas all eating and drinking and singing and dancing. Amazing to just walk down it swigging from a bottle of rum. The first day is a bit of an adjustment but the people were incredibly friendly. Just read up on the common scams and you'll be fine. Nobody will bother you. Pay the premium to go and have you daiquiri beside Hemmingway in the Floridita. "Premium" rates in Cuba are basically standard Irish prices. GO to the Museo de Chocolate and get a "cold hot chocolate". Remarkably refreshing.

We did Havana, Cienfuegos, Trinidad, Santa Clara and a few days in Varadero to recover before back to Havana for a day or two and then home. Would give Cienfuegos a miss but you can use it to go to the Bay of Pigs. Trinidad and Santa Clara are unmissable. Everybody we spoke to went to Viñales and did their tobacco tourism there.

Highly recommend staying in casas particulares. Basically small, private B&Bs. Back then you'd get your room and breakfast for 20e or so, and could pay more for dinner. Good place to disconnect as the only places that have wifi are the big hotels.

Bring lots, and I mean LOTS, of stuff to fight mosquitoes. Nothing we tried work, but try it anyway.

Jeepers Creepers

Went there on honeymoon in 2005. We stayed in Varadero with all its luxury hotels and a brief stay in Havana, so obviously didn't get to taste the real Cuba to a degree. On the cusp of slight change then and I'm sure its a completely different place now. Was a very surreal place. Great spot. Agree with Gallsman the Mosquitoes were brutal in summer. We had an old winged plane fly over our hotel everyday spraying the place with god knows what.

Rois

We took a risk and went there from the USA IN 2017 - tourism wasn't supposed to be a valid reason but we'd read up on it and took a chance, no one paid any attention to us. We picked up a cruise shop there that docked in Havana for 2 nights which was a bit rushed, but we packed in plenty. Found Havana really interesting, did a private walking tour with a brilliant guide so she took us off the beaten path. Of course we had drinks in the Floridita 😁
We wouldn't have been adventurous enough to travel and stay in the  casa particulares as described but friends did it and loved it to the extent that it was really interesting and fascinating to experience.

Ps Our cruise ship then left to head to Jamaica but Hurricane Irma was incoming so we literally jumped ship and went back to the US and flew over to California. Don't go there in September! Not a place I'd want to be stranded in.

gallsman

Should perhaps point out that our degree of comfort in someway possibly derived from our ability to speak Spanish. Navigation, haggling, not being scammed out of something or into doing something all obviously much easier.

CiKe

Was there in summer 2007. Still have vivid memories of the size of the cockroaches climbing out of the bath and sink holes in what Lonely Planet described as the best hotel in Santa Clara (cost me about €20 I think)! When I mentioned these visitors at reception, the reply was along the lines of, "Yes sir, we are aware"  ;D

Didn't have any issue with meals, loved the "moros y cristianos" (rice and beans)

Sandino

I visited Cuba in 1989 and it was amazing. I was based in Varadero which was very much geared towards tourists. Havana was an amazing experience. Get of the beaten track as much as you can use small venues and you can really put money into the local economy. We had a number of highlights.

Walking on the beach with couples making out and drinking rum. Watching locals playing handball on the beach. Watching millions of crabs making their way back to the sea, amazing.

You will love it.
"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''

LeoMc

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on January 30, 2022, 10:45:33 PM
Anyone done this in the past few years? Pre Covid like.

I've been told to imagine a country run by Longford County Council.

Bear in mind I'm an auld fella so kipping in a squalid hovel with wife and 18 ye old daughter is not an option.

Any thoughts appreciated
Even if they are not your own?

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...