Change one historical GAA event

Started by Orior, April 18, 2007, 12:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Sorry Super,

What you meant to say was:

I wish Tommy Doyle had judged the ball better so that he was in position to catch it.

The contact was caused by Doyle's last gasp attempt to jump back having misjudged it.

Onlooker

Kerry have received the benefit of so many dodgy decisions by referees that they should be very slow to refer to any decisions that they (and no one else) feel went against them.

stew

Quote from: SuperDooperCooper on April 20, 2007, 12:02:43 PM
For me as a Kerry fan there is only one moment I would like to change.
The push that Tommy Doyle got in the back in the lead up to the Offaly goal in '82 would be spotted by the ref and a free out given....
I know it's asking a lot when you hear the ref (Mr Aldridge) saying there was no free watching the incident on TV 20 years later....
Good to note the standard of refing hasn't got worse over the years....

A possible second moment would be the All-Ireland final of '02 - Eoin Brosnan shot at the end of the game which barley went wide.
I was directly in line with it when he struck it, it look over all the way before tailing off very late in the day. The worst I have ever felt leaving Croke Park. 

I was shocked at how much space Armagh gave him before they went to close him down and it did look like it was going to go over the bar but thank God it didnt. That second half performance by Kerry might rank as one of the worst ever efforts by a kerry team in Championship history and they did not deserve to win that game, their midfield went awol and the pony looked like he had been shot such was the roasting he received at the hands of a 19 year old Ogs man.

All in all, that day in 02 was surreal,  to beat the mighty Kerry and finally show Tyrone how to win an AI was something I will treasure forever.

The defeat in the minor final was the hardest thing i have ever had to stomach, even worse than the loss to Kerry in the AISF years later when Fitzgerald bailed them out. That loss in the minor game was devastating because it felt like we were forever destined to lose the most meaningful matches and I got to thinking about generations fo supporters who have suffered following Armagh and that made it worse.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Mike Sheehy

QuoteKerry might rank as one of the worst ever efforts by a kerry team in Championship history

hmmm..yeah, maybe you have a point there...... I suppose that would devalue your AI so, I mean it hardly took much winning if it was one of the worst efforts by a Kerry team.....wouldn't you agree ?

Mike Sheehy

QuoteKerry have received the benefit of so many dodgy decisions by referees that they should be very slow to refer to any decisions that they (and no one else) feel went against them.

Give us some examples.

thejuice

I'd give the whole Meath team a wake up call after beating Kerry by 15 points in the 2001 semi. let them know they had won nothing yet, that Galway were a bigger threat, as they had reached 3 of the last 4 AI at the time.  Even if they didnt win, at least they might have given a better account of themselves, unlike what transpired.

Also anyone who thinks "soccer" is a real game, they need a f**kin wake up call too. Its a p***ys game played by hair dressers. which makes me laugh at the thug element in its supporters. All these hard men watching the sporting equivelent of graham nortan
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Onlooker

What about the goal that was given to them against Tipperary in the Munster Championship in 1999.  You may say that Kerry would have won anyway, but at one stage midway through the second half, Kerry's lead was down to two points.  If they had got fair play, Tipp would have been  leading by a point.  It is hard enough to play against Kerry without the referee giving them a helping hand.  Kerry's refusal to consider replaying the game did not say an awful lot for their sportsmanship.  That must have been one of the worst refereeing decisions ever made in a Munster Championship match.

The Real Laoislad

QuoteAlso anyone who thinks "soccer" is a real game, they need a f**kin wake up call too. Its a p***ys game played by hair dressers. which makes me laugh at the thug element in its supporters. All these hard men watching the sporting equivelent of graham nortan

Of what relevance has that bitter rambling got to with this thread ::)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

thejuice

sorry someone earlier was harping on about soccer being better than GAA, im not bitter i just dont like the sport, and some of those who follow it. i accept my comments were off topic, didnt mean to divert the tread, but i stand by what i said
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

stew

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on April 20, 2007, 07:35:16 PM
QuoteKerry might rank as one of the worst ever efforts by a kerry team in Championship history

hmmm..yeah, maybe you have a point there...... I suppose that would devalue your AI so, I mean it hardly took much winning if it was one of the worst efforts by a Kerry team.....wouldn't you agree ?

I didnt say the whole game mick, just the second half, I was not trying to be funny I just feel that in the 2nd half kerry were not at the races and lost as a result, and in answer to your question i would say no, you played as well as you were let, Armagh would not be denied in the second half.

In the first half it was at times men against boys and you lot were sublime.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: thejuice on April 20, 2007, 10:49:27 PM
sorry someone earlier was harping on about soccer being better than GAA, im not bitter i just dont like the sport, and some of those who follow it. i accept my comments were off topic, didnt mean to divert the tread, but i stand by what i said

::) bitter man
You'll Never Walk Alone.

ONeill

Quote from: stew on April 20, 2007, 10:52:59 PM
Quote from: Mike Sheehy on April 20, 2007, 07:35:16 PM

I didnt say the whole game mick, just the second half, I was not trying to be funny I just feel that in the 2nd half kerry were not at the races and lost as a result, and in answer to your question i would say no, you played as well as you were let, Armagh would not be denied in the second half.

In the first half it was at times men against boys and you lot were sublime.

I think Kerry in the first half v Tyrone in 2003 was their worst. 2 pts?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Brewster's kick in injury time in the 04 q/final to have gone wide. Pretty sure we would have won the replay convincingly and won the All Ireland that year. 2004 was the real one that got away. We could have won it in 99, 00, 05 and even 01 but 04 was the year I really think we were the best county but couldn't get the job done. But sure them's the breaks.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Mike Sheehy

QuoteI think Kerry in the first half v Tyrone in 2003 was their worst. 2 pts?

I noticed you left  "game of football" out of that sentence. A very apt omission.

Hardy

Quote from: ONeill on April 20, 2007, 11:24:54 PM
I think Kerry in the first half v Tyrone in 2003 was their worst. 2 pts?

That's if you don't include the second half v. Meath in 2001 - 1 point. The first half is up there as well - 4 points.