Gaelic Football - Rules & Regulations discussion/clarification

Started by BennyCake, September 09, 2014, 12:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twohands!!!

Quote from: Main Street on February 26, 2023, 10:11:26 PM
When the ref raises his arm to indicate a foul has been committed but playing advantage, can the player on the ball  (on seeing no prospects)  choose not play the advantage and take the free kick?

Generally if the player comes to a stop and just stops playing, it forces the ref to give the free. Have seen it a few times in games.

I'm constantly amazed at the percentage of players that don't immediately try and take a shot at the posts (or even the goals) within the five seconds when they have advantage safe in the knowledge that they have the free-kick if it goes wide.

Nanderson

Quote from: twohands!!! on March 01, 2023, 04:56:32 PM
When the ref raises his arm to indicate a foul has been committed but playing advantage, can the player on the ball  (on seeing no prospects)  choose not play the advantage and take the free kick?

Generally if the player comes to a stop and just stops playing, it forces the ref to give the free. Have seen it a few times in games.

I'm constantly amazed at the percentage of players that don't immediately try and take a shot at the posts (or even the goals) within the five seconds when they have advantage safe in the knowledge that they have the free-kick if it goes wide.
that would be a free for the other team then for overcarryng

AustinPowers

Can an outfield  player go into goals  for  a penalty?

Is it considered a substitution?

Does he  have to change shirts  with the goalkeeper?

GAABoardMod5

Quote from: AustinPowers on March 01, 2023, 06:57:06 PM

Finally an easy one...

Yes

No

No...but if he touches the ball on the ground inside the small square it is another penalty.

AustinPowers

Quote from: GAABoardMod5 on March 01, 2023, 07:16:18 PM

Finally an easy one...

Yes

No

No...but if he touches the ball on the ground inside the small square it is another penalty.

Ah, that  would have been  my next question

JoG2

Quote from: GAABoardMod5 on March 01, 2023, 07:16:18 PM

Finally an easy one...

Yes

No

2.4 A penalty kick shall be taken from the ground
at a point 11m from the centre of the goal-line,
and only the defending goalkeeper may stand
on the goal-line. All other players, with the
exception of the player taking the kick, shall be
outside the 20m line and the arc, be at least
13m from the ball,

Main Street

Quote from: Nanderson on March 01, 2023, 05:22:48 PM
Quote from: twohands!!! on March 01, 2023, 04:56:32 PM

that would be a free for the other team then for overcarryng
There was a situation twice in the game Monaghan v Rossies when the Monaghan player got advantage about 30m out but with no good opportunity to make any advance or another player to pass to , the ball was passed back the two times, shot taken and missed. In both instances (had it been awarded) the free kick was scrorable.

Why is not so that if after 5 secs there is no advantage gained, the play is called back?

Rossfan

Where will Dublin's neutral game in the AI Round Robin be played?
It will be most likely v Ulster losing Finalists.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

AustinPowers

So, the penalty  shoot out yesterday

Both teams  nominated 5 kickers.  The Derry fella , (name escapes me)  did  his hamstring taking his penalty.

If the penalties  were level after 5 each , the same 5 players  also have to  take the  the next five.  So if it came down  to it, and the  injured Derry player was unable to  take his penalty second time around... what happens then?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: AustinPowers on May 15, 2023, 10:19:54 PM

Both teams  nominated 5 kickers.  The Derry fella , (name escapes me)  did  his hamstring taking his penalty.

If the penalties  were level after 5 each , the same 5 players  also have to  take the  the next five.  So if it came down  to it, and the  injured Derry player was unable to  take his penalty second time around... what happens then?

Not sure there is a rule specifically for that but let's take the 'mark' rule, if the person is injured in the process of claiming a 'mark' and is unable to take it, another player can be nominated. I'd assume that be the case, but one to certainly consider going forward
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

manwithnoplan

Quote from: smort on May 22, 2023, 03:33:00 PM
Some new rules bring trialled...

https://www.gaa.ie/football/news/gaa-to-trial-experimental-kick-out-and-free-kick-rules/

Incredibly bad ideas there. Just looking for teams to lump the ball out from a kickout and hope for the best. How is a scrum around a breaking ball from every kickout is going to improve the spectacle? Maybe they should consider making the opposing team have a set number of players inside the 45m line instead of conceding short kickouts unchallenged, then the team with the ball needs to show some initiative with their shorter kickouts.

restorepride

Is it Shane McGuigan you are talking about?

David McKeown

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 15, 2023, 11:10:54 PM

Not sure there is a rule specifically for that but let's take the 'mark' rule, if the person is injured in the process of claiming a 'mark' and is unable to take it, another player can be nominated. I'd assume that be the case, but one to certainly consider going forward

You actually name 7 players for penalties. 5 for taking them. 1 goal keeper and 1 sub goal keeper who may replace the keeper but not swap with them. The fact that the rule book makes particular reference to that makes me think you can't replace an injured penalty taker
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner