GPA's latest scam

Started by Eamonnca1, September 12, 2013, 10:47:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

While I noticed that too I think he is talking about bringing the IC game to the attention of the American people (as opposed to club hurling).

Jinxy

The GPA are interested in developing markets.
Not games.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Zulu

With markets, comes money, comes game development. The GPA may not be focused on club U10's but generating money helps develop the club game, especially abroad where significant money is required to develop underage to a sustainable level.

Eamonnca1

And do you think the GPA is going to generously reinvest their "revenue streams" back into grass roots development?

Zulu

Nope, but there won't revenue streams from this anyway. However, anything that did work wouldn't solely benefit the GPA so if they do come up with something worthwhile then there could be a trickle down effect to everyone else. The GPA don't act independently of the GAA so they wouldn't reap all the benefits either.

This is a nonsense initiative and a ridiculous overreaction from some sections of American GAA.

deiseach

Anyone who uses 'trickle down' in an American context as a positive doesn't know America at all.

Michael Schmeichal

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 16, 2013, 06:55:24 PM
I noticed that too. The GPA seems to be all about separating the inter-county game and its players from the "little people."

Well Sean Potts manages an u13 team in his own club. Are u13's little enough for you?

Rossfan

Don't ye know that to be a real proper GAA person on this board you have to slate the GPA at every opportunity. ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Hardy

Quote from: Zulu on October 17, 2013, 01:35:50 AM
if they do come up with something worthwhile then there could be a trickle down effect to everyone else.

I'm sure you've hit the nail on the head as regards the long term agenda of the GPA. The revenue stream will fund the professional game and the wages of the professional players. There may be crumbs from the table for the great unwashed but that will just be an incidental side effect of the enrichment of the players in the newly created global market game.

Zulu

Hardy, I'm involved in the GAA abroad and I can assure you there is no evidence of the GAA wanting to develop a global market to fund a professional game, it's the opposite in fact.

Zulu

Quote from: deiseach on October 17, 2013, 10:08:39 AM
Anyone who uses 'trickle down' in an American context as a positive doesn't know America at all.

Interesting, but I wasn't using it reference to America specifically or indeed at all.

Jinxy

Quote from: Zulu on October 17, 2013, 11:10:21 AM
Hardy, I'm involved in the GAA abroad and I can assure you there is no evidence of the GAA wanting to develop a global market to fund a professional game, it's the opposite in fact.

I think he meant to write 'GPA'.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Hardy

Yep - sorry about the typo.

Zulu

Well if he did I think he is wrong about the GPA but more importantly I'm certain the GAA won't support anything that moves in that direction. Despite what we might think of football and hurling, generating the mass spectator appeal necessary to fund a professional level of the sport year in year out is extremely difficult. Ireland is too small a market to support professionalism and the GAA/GPA have neither the singleminded drive or resources to generate the market internationally. But if people still want to imagine a doomsday scenario then that is their prerogative.

deiseach

Quote from: Zulu on October 17, 2013, 11:12:40 AM
Quote from: deiseach on October 17, 2013, 10:08:39 AM

Interesting, but I wasn't using it reference to America specifically or indeed at all.

Sean Potts was.