League fixtures 2014...

Started by 30mog, August 22, 2013, 12:24:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

30mog

Hi all

Typical newcomer to GAA question here: When will fixtures for next years NFL & NHL be released?[How many people will wrongly think I mean American Football & Ice Hockey?]

BennyCake

Last year I think they were released around late October.

30mog

That's good enough for me.  Should be able to plan a trip or two from England ahead.  And get cheaper flights.  And likewise train fares in the case of trips to London GAA.

Feckitt

Just a a bit of info for you as a newcomer, While Mayo v Tyrone is going to be a great occasion, and a hugely anticipated clash in August, i would be wary about booking flights and trains etc to go to somewhere like Omagh or Castlebar to see Tyrone play Mayo in the league in the pissing rain in March.  The league is very much a secondary competition.  The league and championship cannot be compared to say for example the English Premier league and FA Cup.

While the league is good craic at the time, at the end of the day it means f**k all.  I know from previous posts you are keen to come over and see more matches, so get over to see Kerry v Dublin in the All-Ireland semi final, and save your money by giving the league a miss and save up for next years championship in the summer.

Alternatively, All-Ireland club semi finals, normally held in February would have good crowds at smaller provincial venues, but great intensity and exicitement, because a club progressing that far in the championship means a whole lot more than another run of the mill inter-county league match.

Maybe you know all this already, so apologies if it comes accross as patronising.  It is not meant to.  Good luck.

BennyCake

The championship is the main focus, but the NFL/NHL can have some cracking games too. A big game like a All Ireland semi final are great Occasions though, and you should have no problems getting tickets online.

However, it can be tricky getting a hotel/B&B in Dublin on big match weekends. Cities like Limerick, Cork, Galway etc may only have one or two (sometimes none) big c'ship games a year, so sometimes league matches are the only times you might be able to experience a place over a weekend. I often use league games in certain counties/cities as an excuse to head away for the weekend, and visit places I've not been before. It can be cold during the league, especially the earlier rounds, but flights/accommodation etc can be cheaper as it's the off season.

If you like both games, Dublin hurlers and footballers usually play double headers in Croke Park during the league, so that's something to think about.

Tickets for AI finals are near impossible to get, so I'd definitely recommend a semi final in either game. They are great occasions.

Zulu

QuoteWhile the league is good craic at the time, at the end of the day it means f**k all.  I know from previous posts you are keen to come over and see more matches, so get over to see Kerry v Dublin in the All-Ireland semi final,

Is that game not sold out?

BennyCake

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

First league game in Castlebar 2014 will have 42,000 at it  ;) Jokes folks, jokes.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

mayo.mick

Quote from: 30mog on August 22, 2013, 12:24:42 PM
Hi all

Typical newcomer to GAA question here: When will fixtures for next years NFL & NHL be released?[How many people will wrongly think I mean American Football & Ice Hockey?]

Usually announced mid November, with dates/times confirmed around mid December. Would advise you to wait till dates are confirmed before you make any bookings. I usually do all my planning/booking for the league when dates are confirmed.
mayo for sam-don't ask me what year! :-)
https://michaelmaye.com/mayo-gaa-photos/
@mayo_mick

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Feckitt on August 22, 2013, 01:34:12 PM
While the league is good craic at the time, at the end of the day it means f**k all.

True Feckitt, but it's more relaxing on the old ticker if you get me! ;)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Captain Obvious

While the league is good craic at the time, at the end of the day it means f**k all. 
Has the time not come to make it mean more? the current league is stale and needs to rejigged.

Rossfan

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 22, 2013, 05:17:17 PM
Has the time not come to make it mean more? the current league is stale and needs to rejigged.
That excuse usually come from Counties who get stuck in a lower Division. :D
No matter what you do with it - it will still be "only th'oul League" - in reality a pre season warmer upper. :-\
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

5 Sams

Quote from: Zulu on August 22, 2013, 02:03:13 PM
QuoteWhile the league is good craic at the time, at the end of the day it means f**k all.  I know from previous posts you are keen to come over and see more matches, so get over to see Kerry v Dublin in the All-Ireland semi final,

Is that game not sold out?

Good few tickets left on the upper decks.
The Aristocrat Years

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

No chance for the loser counties, Mayo longest team in top division through hard work. Rejigged me arse, win a fecking few matches all the whinger counties.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 22, 2013, 09:44:14 PM

No chance for the loser counties, Mayo longest team in top division through hard work. Rejigged me arse, win a fecking few matches all the whinger counties.

You think a group of eight (division one) having semi finals is ideal format? the loser counties as you call them play off for other titles that mean as much as McKenna cup.