The square ball and the underhand handpass

Started by Sea The Stars, February 02, 2013, 06:51:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sea The Stars

First game of the year in Croke Park and both rules in the spotlight again.

Surely the Donegal goalscorer was in the square as the ball was being handpassed across which if I understand the new rules correctly is not allowed.

Then by way of admission that he got that decision wrong, the referee awards a free to a Kildare player for a Donegal illegal handpass. If it had at least been an illegal handpass, I could forgive the referee, but it was a fine striking action. What really annoys me is that there are several instances of players not handpassing the ball the right way and referees are normally happy to let it go, why all of a sudden decide to penalise a player then? We need some clarity if this rule is going to be implemented for the rest of the year.

Well done to Kildare by the way. Thought they'd let it slip when Donegal started to get a run on them but they managed to close it out. The youngsters must provide Kildare supporters with a lot of hope, I think we'll be hearing a lot more of them. From a Donegal point of view it was an adequate performance. They look like a tired side, possibly the result of a lot of training in a short space of time. Improvement to come no doubt.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: Sea The Stars on February 02, 2013, 06:51:57 PM
First game of the year in Croke Park and both rules in the spotlight again.

Surely the Donegal goalscorer was in the square as the ball was being handpassed across which if I understand the new rules correctly is not allowed.

You'd be wrong in that case

EDIT: maybe I'm wrong

PAULD123

As long as he entered the square as the pass was being made then he is fine. He can be in the square long before the ball arrives so long as he only enters not before the moment it is played.

Basically it is like offside in soccer now. It is all about where you stand just before the pass is made. You must be outside the square when the pass is played but can run in and wait for it to arrive after that moment.

J70

I'd need to see the goal again to judge it, but the handpass was a killer. Murphy's pass had sent a colleague charging through for a probable decent attempt at a equalizer, if I remember correctly.
O'Connor's goal was ironic given what happened in the quarter final in 2011!