Is Joe Kernans legacy tarnished by his failure with Galway?

Started by Peter Solan the Great, July 10, 2010, 07:41:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is Joe Kernans legacy tarnished by his failure with Galway?

Yes
22 (36.1%)
No
30 (49.2%)
Grimely had a lot to do with kernans legacy
9 (14.8%)

Total Members Voted: 61

fearglasmor

Legacy ??????   One all ireland title !!  Yer avin a larf.

Mike Sheehy

BennyHarp

Quote from: fearglasmor on October 26, 2010, 09:41:10 PM
Legacy ??????   One all ireland title !!  Yer avin a larf.

Did he not win a few all irelands at Crossmaglen? Surely creating one of greatest club sides ever to play the game, then to win the all Ireland at his first attempt with a team who had never won it before has created a little bit of a legacy for the man? But then again, part time glory hunting supporters who dust down their scarves every summer and shout the loudest (like Mike Sheehy with his comment above - as i think you'll find Joe had won 3 all-irelands by 2002) probably don't even realise  that club football exists.
That was never a square ball!!

Fuzzman

I think most managers are only as good as the squad they have in front of them.
When Big Joe took over in 2002 he had a great squad of hungry players who had already been to the well several times and had built up the hunger for a big drive again.
I think most people would agree he did put the finishing touches to a good side and dragged them over the line and I suppose made them believe they could beat Kerry among other Big teams

He brought a new level of professionalism to that squad and dare I be so cheeky to say made them believe they were better than they really were. For a number of years from 2002-2007 Armagh's biggest strength in my eyes was their self belief and inner strength that they were the best team in Ireland. A lot of this probably came from McNulty and McGeeney and their emphasis on positive thinking all the time.
The look on their faces in 2003 when Tyrone beat them was one of shock that they actually had lost.
I think they were never allowed to even contemplate what to do if things were going wrong.
A lot of games they won in the last 10 mins when other teams thought they had them beaten.

I fear big Joe though is not the tactical genius that some other managers might be and while he bring a lot to the table with commitment & hard work, his main contribution that sticks out in my head is the throwing of the losers medal against the wall at half time and saying that's all that means to me.
The success of managers is totally determined on results and winning cups and if they don't have the players to fulfil this then it doesnt matter how good the man in charge is.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Fuzzman on October 27, 2010, 10:59:40 AM
I think most managers are only as good as the squad they have in front of them.
When Big Joe took over in 2002 he had a great squad of hungry players who had already been to the well several times and had built up the hunger for a big drive again.
I think most people would agree he did put the finishing touches to a good side and dragged them over the line and I suppose made them believe they could beat Kerry among other Big teams

He brought a new level of professionalism to that squad and dare I be so cheeky to say made them believe they were better than they really were. For a number of years from 2002-2007 Armagh's biggest strength in my eyes was their self belief and inner strength that they were the best team in Ireland. A lot of this probably came from McNulty and McGeeney and their emphasis on positive thinking all the time.
The look on their faces in 2003 when Tyrone beat them was one of shock that they actually had lost.
I think they were never allowed to even contemplate what to do if things were going wrong.
A lot of games they won in the last 10 mins when other teams thought they had them beaten.

I fear big Joe though is not the tactical genius that some other managers might be and while he bring a lot to the table with commitment & hard work, his main contribution that sticks out in my head is the throwing of the losers medal against the wall at half time and saying that's all that means to me.
The success of managers is totally determined on results and winning cups and if they don't have the players to fulfil this then it doesnt matter how good the man in charge is.

Im a Tyrone man so not sure why i am sticking up for Joe, but Armagh where knocking on the door for a few years without really being able to win the all ireland, no matter what anyone says about Joe Kernan - he got them over the line.. And when its your home county and its their first time, it definately, for me, creates a massive legacy - even if he wasnt a tactical genius! If Mickey hadn't won another two all irelands in Tyrone - he would still always be a legend here after taking them to a first all ireland! The achievement of taking a team to its first all ireland title should never be underestimated as there are so many mental barriers that need to be overcome and it takes a special manager to create the atmosphere for that to happen. Also what he did at Crossmaglen shouldn't be underestimated either.
That was never a square ball!!