We need to talk about Diarmuid

Started by Mayo4Sam, June 05, 2017, 09:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Wiser

I think the GAA should abolish football altogether for a few months and send ye all to a few hurling matches. Tip tap, tip -tap and about a hundred hand passes,  or one for every yard, to get the ball from one end of the field to the other.  "Oh look, I say old boy, the gentleman in blue has just touched the official on the orm, I hope he is severely admonished and given his morching orders,  Pass me the prawns."

Carlow had a plan, they prevented the Dubs from racking up a high score, unlike my own county against Kildare.  Spillane and O'Rourke would have done more for football throughout the country if they had talked up Carlow's effort instead of taking time on national TV to assassinate Diarmuid.  If ye can't take a few jostles and pushes in football and if a difference of opinion with a lineman (unless he is given a box in the mouth and landed on his back)  results in a player that I would pay to see playing being given a three month ban then the GAA can have their seats as far as I would be concerned. In this case the lineman seems to be a real GAA man not interested in hanging a player out to dry over nothing.  As for Spillane and O'Rourke?  What do they want? The execution of another Connolly in Dublin that they can jeer at?  Maybe I'll send them two fidget spinners to ease their nerves while they are waiting. 
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

mrdeeds

Quote from: Main Street on June 06, 2017, 02:12:51 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on June 05, 2017, 10:25:33 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 05, 2017, 10:04:00 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on June 05, 2017, 06:40:40 PM
if you did that to a Garda its assault

If you did what Colm Cooper did to Coldrick that's assault too, why was there never any hysteria with what Cooper did?

Cooper's just checking Coldrick's watch to see how long is left.
And at the same time, supporting Coldrick's arm so he could perform the traditional Ref's Salute that indicates he's the supreme authority on the pitch.

Have you a video of the incident so we can see what context it's in?

yellowcard

Gaelic football will soon be a non contact sport. The truth is that the disciplinary system is managed by pundits in the Sunday Game studio who dictate by their reaction how incidenets are dealt with. Spillane and O'Rourke were in dreamland on Sunday night. Some lads need to grow up and lose the outrage and hysteria at what was a trivial enough incident, either that or just give Joe Duffy a ring to let of some steam. Connolly constantly seems to always be angry enough about something and is either as thick as two planks or just has a fuse shorter than ankle socks, but on this occasion I think a mountain is being made out of a molehill.   

magpie seanie

Quote from: lenny on June 05, 2017, 05:16:17 PM
Quote from: Hardy on June 05, 2017, 05:10:59 PM
Quote from: lenny on June 05, 2017, 05:08:05 PM
Quote from: hardstation on June 05, 2017, 03:48:50 PM
So they dealt with it by do nothing?

That's not dealing with it.

He's getting 12 weeks.

An incident can only be revisited with video evidence if the officials haven't seen it. It can't be argued in this case that the officials didn't see it. They saw it, didn't think it amounted to anything worth a sanction therefore case closed. Even if he is suspended he will get off on appeal for the reasons I have given.

No. CCCC can refer incidents back to officials and ask them if, in the light of video evidence, they are happy with how they dealt with it.

Yes that is true. How will it look if brannigan now says that the ref should have sent connolly off. It was an incident involving the linesman, he saw and felt the hand on his shoulder clearly. If he'd felt there was a need for sanctions he'd have said immediately. It's not like an incident he didn't see clearly or his view was obstructed. If this incident leads to a suspension it will clearly be overturned on appeal.

Dublin should not appeal and I doubt they would. Very like the Davy case, I think this will be agreed to.

Bud Wiser

"Have you a video of the incident so we can see what context it's in?"

There is nothing to see.  That's the whole problem.  Des Cahill posted up a video this morning on Twitter but now its gone.  There are fellas on here that would make you think they are the Stephen Hawkins of the GAA and I think they watch games to try and find something to occupy their minds thinking about what will happen in the future.  "He touched off his orm, he offended him, he definitely made slight contact and once you make contact - etc"
There were a few great points scored in that game by both teams and they never got a mention. Some of the comments about Diarmuid you would not come out with after eating a bag of magic mushrooms.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

TomFun

Is that Cooper photo not just a trick of the angle it was taken? Looks like he is remonstrating with Philly McMahon and nowhere near touching the ref

Fuzzman

If he's gets 12 weeks is that just for intercounty football or can he still play with the club?
I think Connolly wanted out of the spotlight for the summer so he can avoid another summer of being targeted and so he will come back fresh for the semi final and final.

I heard something on the radio on Sunday Sport about how amateur the whole disciplinary process seems to be. They had someone on saying they are volunteers and the whole process sounded very haphazard and not ver well structured.

I am surprised how many are standing up for Connolly in this case. I don't think it's because of his past but that there is a clear law there saying the phrase minor infringement which is exactly what it was. Connolly clearly shows a lack of respect and discipline towards the linesman which is what the rule was brought in to do. He clearly pushes him and points his finger towards his face. To not charge him will basically leave that rule weak and easily challenged in the future.

westbound

If Connolly doesn't get the 12 week suspension as per the rule, there will never be any respect for officials!

I really can't understand how anyone can defend him on this?

It's not the most serious offence in the world and obviously nobody was injured, but why do we have a rule book at all if we are not going to apply the rules that are in it?

AZOffaly

I don't understand lads equating interfering with an official being out of order, and then 'taking the physicality out of the game'. Are the refs and umpires and linesmen supposed to be fair game, or just gentle shoulders or pushes are ok? Why is it that making it completely out of order to push an official is being seen as attacking the physicality of the game?

I hate the easy comparison, but I'm going to use it. Rugby is *the* most physical game played in this part of the world. If Peter O'Mahoney got thick at a decision and pushed a sideline official, and then stuck his finger in his face while giving out to him, do you think he wouldn't be suspended?

I'm all for physicality in the game, between the players, but you can't start soft soaping interference with referees and linesmen. There's a reason why the rule is there. And in the spirit of the rule, not only the wording of it, we had a player losing his temper and pushing an official. That has to be punished.

Syferus

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 06, 2017, 11:10:42 AM
I don't understand lads equating interfering with an official being out of order, and then 'taking the physicality out of the game'. Are the refs and umpires and linesmen supposed to be fair game, or just gentle shoulders or pushes are ok? Why is it that making it completely out of order to push an official is being seen as attacking the physicality of the game?

I hate the easy comparison, but I'm going to use it. Rugby is *the* most physical game played in this part of the world. If Peter O'Mahoney got thick at a decision and pushed a sideline official, and then stuck his finger in his face while giving out to him, do you think he wouldn't be suspended?

I'm all for physicality in the game, between the players, but you can't start soft soaping interference with referees and linesmen. There's a reason why the rule is there. And in the spirit of the rule, not only the wording of it, we had a player losing his temper and pushing an official. That has to be punished.

+2

This rule is one of the few in the GAA that actually makes sense.

Dire Ear

Quote from: westbound on June 06, 2017, 11:08:45 AM
If Connolly doesn't get the 12 week suspension as per the rule, there will never be any respect for officials!

I really can't understand how anyone can defend him on this?

It's not the most serious offence in the world and obviously nobody was injured, but why do we have a rule book at all if we are not going to apply the rules that are in it?
100%  no point bringing youngsters to watch players getting away with this shite

Fuzzman

I think it's all tactical by the Dubs.
They know they don't need Connolly until the semifinal stage and it will keep him away from the limelight until he's really needed.
Less chance of him getting a suspension then to keep him out of the final. Very clever from the Dubs.

Hound

I wonder could we give him to the hurlers (swap for Schutte!) if gets suspended

Syferus

Quote from: Hound on June 06, 2017, 12:47:49 PM
I wonder could we give him to the hurlers (swap for Schutte!) if gets suspended

Pretty sure giving Connolly a stick and asking him to hit things isn't a smart idea.

Esmarelda

Brolly giving an alternative view of it all on twitter.