Lorry Tragedy

Started by Square Ball, October 25, 2019, 03:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Yeah that is what I was wondering. It sounds like these people had no chance but surely there are people get through. They would presumably do things differently?

trileacman

Quote from: oliverkelly on October 29, 2019, 01:33:12 PM
Heard when Mo Robinsons house was raided they found 200 thousand pound in cash. Was making that much money he wouldnt no what to do with it.
The two Hughes brother are up to their eyes in it.
The young lad arrested in Down is F**ked according to a lad chatting his uncle. His tracker has him driving to all these places collecting them and he waxs the one that turned on the fridge.

Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

give her dixie

Quote from: Taylor on October 29, 2019, 01:16:00 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on October 29, 2019, 12:38:07 PM
Yeah Itchy the media wording is "interesting". It's not even an us or themmun - it's that he's not British straight away he's Irish. Typical of the british media.

So from what I read here they were going to die either by freezing or by suffocation if the fridge wasn't on :( Is that accurate? Gees it's sounding almost like genocide more than anything here.

Under what scenarios would they have survived??

How do other migrants get through with lorries?

It said on the news yesterday that this was potentially one of a convoy of three lorries - no sign of the other two unless some of the boys arrested were driving these

According to the GPS tracking data the trailer had travelled between Belgium and the UK in the days prior to the fateful trip. Could it have less people on board and enough oxygen?

According to the Belgian authorities it had been dropped at the port around 2pm and then 12 hours later Mo opened the doors. One of the texts from 3 hours beforehand said they were suffocating.  How long were they in the trailer from the point of collection?

Again, the GPS data will show that as well as the previous journey,  and who knows what information Mo and possibly Harrison will have divulged. 

Once the trailers are loaded and tied down, and the ship is ready to sail, all the deck hands go to their quarters on board to eat, sleep or relax. About 30 minutes or so before docking they will return and start taking off the chains.

Going by the timeline when they were running out of oxygen,  it wouldn't have mattered how loud they shouted or banged on the doors or side of the trailer,  nobody would have heard them. They died a cruel death,  and as far as I'm concerned,  everyone involved in trafficking them shares the blame and need to be locked up for a very long time.

Chatting to drivers on the ferries over the past few days, everyone feels sick about the tragedy and the fact that they are Irish drivers and Irish companies involved make it worse.  They have brought shame on our industry and reputations. 
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

RedHand88

GetOverTheBar

Heard when Mo Robinsons house was raided they found 200 thousand pound in cash. Was making that much money he wouldnt no what to do with it.
The two Hughes brother are up to their eyes in it.
The young lad arrested in Down is F**ked according to a lad chatting his uncle. His tracker has him driving to all these places collecting them and he waxs the one that turned on the fridge.

You probably should change your username / at the very least take your email off public before throwing that sort of thing online.

give her dixie

Quote from: RedHand88 on October 29, 2019, 02:10:03 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-50221753

Two brothers on the run, wanted by plod.

I still can't understand why the Gardai or the PSNI were not at their doors from the start given the extent of their involvement.  Media were at their doors fairly quickly
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: give her dixie on October 29, 2019, 02:22:29 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on October 29, 2019, 02:10:03 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-50221753

Two brothers on the run, wanted by plod.

I still can't understand why the Gardai or the PSNI were not at their doors from the start given the extent of their involvement.  Media were at their doors fairly quickly

Got to follow the proper procedures or the case can be thrown out. But I understand your point. Think they call it 'case building'.

J70

Quote from: hardstation on October 29, 2019, 01:27:26 PM
I'd say this was a balls up that those involved were not expecting. I doubt anyone would sign up to take part in this operation if they thought they would end up with 39 dead bodies on their hands. Whether it was sealed when it wasn't meant to be or the freezer turned on when it wasn't meant to be, who knows?

I would imagine all these lads, at least at their level of the operation (and obviously assuming they were knowledgeable participants), didn't "mean for this to happen".

Doesn't mean much though. Their actions and scheme directly resulted in the deaths of dozens of desperate people. That their intention wasn't to kill them might mean 15-20 years in prison instead of life.

nrico2006

Quote from: J70 on October 29, 2019, 02:36:22 PM
I'd say this was a balls up that those involved were not expecting. I doubt anyone would sign up to take part in this operation if they thought they would end up with 39 dead bodies on their hands. Whether it was sealed when it wasn't meant to be or the freezer turned on when it wasn't meant to be, who knows?

I would imagine all these lads, at least at their level of the operation (and obviously assuming they were knowledgeable participants), didn't "mean for this to happen".

Doesn't mean much though. Their actions and scheme directly resulted in the deaths of dozens of desperate people. That their intention wasn't to kill them might mean 15-20 years in prison instead of life.

Would they really get as long as that for manslaughter?  How likely is Robinson to get done for manslaughter if they were dead upon him taking delivery of the trailer?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: nrico2006 on October 29, 2019, 03:40:55 PM

Would they really get as long as that for manslaughter?  How likely is Robinson to get done for manslaughter if they were dead upon him taking delivery of the trailer?

Common purpose.

Eamonnca1

Yeah Itchy the media wording is "interesting". It's not even an us or themmun - it's that he's not British straight away he's Irish. Typical of the british media.

So from what I read here they were going to die either by freezing or by suffocation if the fridge wasn't on :( Is that accurate? Gees it's sounding almost like genocide more than anything here.

It said on the news yesterday that this was potentially one of a convoy of three lorries - no sign of the other two unless some of the boys arrested were driving these

Curtainsiders wouldn't be hermetically sealed, although they still wouldn't be the most comfortable. At least in a pinch you could take out a knife and slash the curtain. In a fridge you've got no chance, it's like being locked in a bank vault.

Eamonnca1

The two brothers are seemingly up to their eyes in it.
The young lad arrested in Down is F**ked according to a lad chatting his uncle. His tracker has him driving to all these places collecting them.

I heard he bought a big jeep with cash a few weeks ago.

downjim

Where was the air flow coming from and how was it stopped?? God love them people who passed away

Pearse Blue

Quote from: nrico2006 on October 29, 2019, 03:40:55 PM

Doesn't matter if they had died before he lifted the trailer if he is found complicate in the whole thing and as days go on it gets more likely he was

imtommygunn

Quote from: hardstation on October 29, 2019, 04:13:16 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 29, 2019, 04:05:17 PM

Curtainsiders wouldn't be hermetically sealed, although they still wouldn't be the most comfortable. At least in a pinch you could take out a knife and slash the curtain. In a fridge you've got no chance, it's like being locked in a bank vault.
I can't see it being quite as simple as that. Those involved know lorries, trailers & containers as well as or better than anyone. They expected to get them through alive in this container & probably have done before. There has been a mistake made or an accident happened that they didn't foresee I reckon.

Yeah I would agree. Noises point to outright murder but it just has to have been a mistake or an oversight to have gone this far. You would also wonder how many times these people have done it before too and if they did what they did differently.