Orange Order Museum at Loughgall

Started by T Fearon, June 30, 2015, 09:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

See Jarlath Burns was one of the first visitors yesterday,pictured with Senior Orange Order officials.Each to their own but is this not a shrine to sectarianism and an attempt by Orange Order to sanitise the many unsavoury aspects of its "culture"

Tony Baloney

Quote from: T Fearon on June 30, 2015, 09:29:22 PM
See Jarlath Burns was one of the first visitors yesterday,pictured with Senior Orange Order officials.Each to their own but is this not a shrine to sectarianism and an attempt by Orange Order to sanitise the many unsavoury aspects of its "culture"
Jarlath seems to have been working up his profile over the last year or so. Must be preparing the ground for either a career in politics or more likely a tilt for Croke Park in the future.

T Fearon

No harm to anyone,if that's what Jarlath wants to do,and Mary Mc Aleese,but Orange Order has a lot of changes to make before gaining cross community respect

BennyCake

Quote from: T Fearon on June 30, 2015, 09:52:26 PM
No harm to anyone,if that's what Jarlath wants to do,and Mary Mc Aleese,but Orange Order has a lot of changes to make before gaining cross community respect

The OO is an anti-catholic organisation in every way. There's no chance in hell of it appealing to Catholics no matter what changes they make. Dressing it up as a cultural and religious organisation with an interesting history is just bollix.

T Fearon

My sentiments entirely.Unfortunately it has wangled a load of cash from the naive free state government and from Europe's coffers for this.Incidentally OO has stated that Sinn Feiners aren't welcome in these new museums? I thought European money was granted on the basis of new developments being accessible to all?

omaghjoe

You should head down to it with your Celtic top on Tony, see what happens.

Rossfan

The SFers should make a point of visiting it with plenty of notice given to TV and see what happens when they turn up.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

give her dixie

I'm surprised McGuinness didn't cut the ribbon on opening day
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

Orior

If I could get the time then I would be interested in having a visit, just to see how balanced they are at reporting history. Sometimes it can be a bit confusing who's who with croppies, ribbon men, defenders, volunteers, peep'o'day boys and so on and so forth.

Orange Order records can also be a useful source for ancestral research (not my own of course, but a fair number of other Armagh men on here, lol).

I hope Jarlath signed the visitors book in Irish. Tiocfaidh ár lá!
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

general_lee

It's something I'd maybe visit in time as well. OO isn't my cup of tea but they still form a key part of Irish history. Elements of the organisation are still quite toxic especially in Belfast but they no longer hold as much sway as they have in days gone by. Also be interesting to see how blatant their propaganda is.

Hardy

Quote from: Orior on July 01, 2015, 09:29:20 AMSometimes it can be a bit confusing who's who with croppies, ribbon men, defenders, volunteers, peep'o'day boys and so on and so forth.

And that's only the top half of the Tyrone teamsheet.

topcuppla

Quote from: T Fearon on June 30, 2015, 09:29:22 PM

Surely the blame lies solely with Jarlath's parents?

Boycey

Is this the same place as they put Georgie Bests "collarette" on display last week? Or have they two shiny new museums??

Orior

From wikipedia:

QuoteThe winter of 1795–6, immediately following the formation of the Orange Order, saw Protestants drive around 7,000 Catholics out of County Armagh. In a sign that tension over the linen trade was still a burning issue, 'Wreckers' continued the Peep o' Day Boys strategy of smashing looms and tearing webs in Catholic homes to eliminate competition. This resulted in a reduction in the hotly competitive linen trade which had been in a brief slump. A consequence of this scattering of highly-political Catholics however was a spread of Defenderism throughout Ireland.

So there you have it. The Orange Order are responsible for Armagh's lack of All-Ireland football titles. And our leaky defence continues to this very day.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

BennyCake

Quote from: Orior on July 01, 2015, 12:17:49 PM
From wikipedia:

QuoteThe winter of 1795–6, immediately following the formation of the Orange Order, saw Protestants drive around 7,000 Catholics out of County Armagh. In a sign that tension over the linen trade was still a burning issue, 'Wreckers' continued the Peep o' Day Boys strategy of smashing looms and tearing webs in Catholic homes to eliminate competition. This resulted in a reduction in the hotly competitive linen trade which had been in a brief slump. A consequence of this scattering of highly-political Catholics however was a spread of Defenderism throughout Ireland.

So there you have it. The Orange Order are responsible for Armagh's lack of All-Ireland football titles. And our leaky defence continues to this very day.

It's still one more title than a few counties.