Looks like another Fundamentalist Muslim attack, this time in Paris.

Started by AZOffaly, January 07, 2015, 03:17:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

I ve been to Muslim countries and found the people very nice. Polite, helpful etc.

But I do not agree that Islam is a peaceful religion. Fanatics may be a minority but they are still a considerable number and a huge threat. Their actions are carried out in the name of God and approved by the prophet. So how is it peaceful?

Holy war (Jihad) is a guarantee of heaven.
◦Mohammed said, "The person who participates in (Holy battles) in Allah's cause and nothing compels him to do so except belief in Allah and His Apostle, will be recompensed by Allah either with a reward, or booty (if he survives) or will be admitted to paradise (if he is killed). "

How else do you interpret that?

omaghjoe

Why then would you believe the news more than your own experience

Also huge number? Hardly and we should be talking about percentages. There's a billion and half of them. Even if there was a million (which there is no where near BTW) that wouldn't even be .1%. Not even sure you could call it a minority

muppet

Islam is not a violent religion, but are Islamic leaders doing enough to stop the violence done in their name?

We should know plenty of this from our own history. Both religions here officially took the high moral ground on violence, but many a blind eye was turned to atrocities in the name of those same religions.

To my mind this type of fundamentalism is like fire.

Fuel - Oxygen - Heat = Fire

Ignorance - Dogma - Injustice = Atrocities

Remove one and chances are it stops. If I had to chose one to target it would be ignorance.
MWWSI 2017

moysider

Quote from: omaghjoe on June 26, 2015, 09:46:30 PM

Also huge number?
Hardly and we should be talking about percentages. There's a billion and half of them. Even if there was a million (which there is no where near BTW) that wouldn't even be .1%. Not even sure you could call it a minority

I believe what I saw today on the news. Don t you?

I said a considerable number. I didn t mention the word huge. I dunno how many we are talking about but even thousands of fanatics can wreak havoc. Even .010% would be a big number and I would suspect a bigger % than that are radicalised. I also suspect that 'strong' governments in countries like Saudi Arabia and Morocco e.g., is keeping the lid on an even bigger crisis.

moysider

Quote from: muppet on June 26, 2015, 10:11:22 PM
Islam is not a violent religion, but are Islamic leaders doing enough to stop the violence done in their name?

We should know plenty of this from our own history. Both religions here officially took the high moral ground on violence, but many a blind eye was turned to atrocities in the name of those same religions.

Remove one and chances are it stops. If I had to chose one to target it would be ignorance.

Not sure I follow this. Ayatollah Khomeini was hardly ignorant? Mullah Muhammad Omar? Or Osama Bin Laden?

muppet

Quote from: moysider on June 26, 2015, 11:46:31 PM

Not sure I follow this. Ayatollah Khomeini was hardly ignorant? Mullah Muhammad Omar? Or Osama Bin Laden?

All of those fit into the dogma category.
MWWSI 2017

moysider

Quote from: muppet on June 26, 2015, 11:50:01 PM

Where does the ignorance come in? Is it not the dogma ( the religion without putting too fine a tooth on it) that drives it?

muppet

Quote from: moysider on June 27, 2015, 12:08:50 AM

Where does the ignorance come in? Is it not the dogma ( the religion without putting too fine a tooth on it) that drives it?

The ignorance is for the troops. The nutjob who commits the atrocity beieving, in world class ignorance, that he is a martyr and will get his eternal reward immediately.
MWWSI 2017

moysider

Quote from: muppet on June 27, 2015, 12:10:23 AM
Quote from: moysider on June 27, 2015, 12:08:50 AM

The ignorance is for the troops. The nutjob who commits the atrocity beieving, in world class ignorance, that he is a martyr and will get his eternal reward immediately.

We re screwed so. There's no way of containing the troops. I don t accept they are nut jobs or even ignorant. That is our way of trying to comprehend what they do. We call them terrorists, evil, etc. I suspect they are believers. I suspect they believe they are obeying the teachings of the prophet and are doing God's will. But their religion is the driving force of this fanaticism - nothing else. They hate America and the West in general for resisting the spread of Islam and Sharia law throughout the world.

give her dixie

Quote from: moysider on June 26, 2015, 10:38:27 PM

Also huge number?
Hardly and we should be talking about percentages. There's a billion and half of them. Even if there was a million (which there is no where near BTW) that wouldn't even be .1%. Not even sure you could call it a minority

I said a considerable number. I didn t mention the word huge. I dunno how many we are talking about but even thousands of fanatics can wreak havoc. Even .010% would be a big number and I would suspect a bigger % than that are radicalised. I also suspect that 'strong' governments in countries like Saudi Arabia and Morocco e.g., is keeping the lid on an even bigger crisis.

Probably the number 1 funder of radical Islamic extremist groups.
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

omaghjoe

Also huge number?

I was talking more about the general drumbeat that Islamic extremism is taking over the Muslim world.

Well if there are more then 1.5 million+ radicalised (what does that even mean?) Muslims in the world we really are in trouble.

You can quote things from the Koran or whatever but the fact is those things were written in different times and the cast majority of Muslims recognise them as belonging to that time and place as they have done for many centuries. Displayed no better than the Islamic civilisations the religion spawned, where tolerance, forgiveness and inclusiveness were very much to the fore. In fact their attitude and values probably helped coerce the Christian world into adopting these values.

These people are nutters I dont deny, how to stop I dunno, but one way to drive more people into their ranks is by tarring all Muslims with the same brush, But I guess that is partly their aim.

omaghjoe

What is this in reference to.... the Cromwellian conquest?

Old yeller

Quote from: omaghjoe on June 27, 2015, 09:07:28 AM

Also huge number?

I was talking more about the general drumbeat that Islamic extremism is taking over the Muslim world.

Well if there are more then 1.5 million+ radicalised (what does that even mean?) Muslims in the world we really are in trouble.

You can quote things from the Koran or whatever but the fact is those things were written in different times and the cast majority of Muslims recognise them as belonging to that time and place as they have done for many centuries. Displayed no better than the Islamic civilisations the religion spawned, where tolerance, forgiveness and inclusiveness were very much to the fore. In fact their attitude and values probably helped coerce the Christian world into adopting these values.

These people are nutters I dont deny, how to stop I dunno, but one way to drive more people into their ranks is by tarring all Muslims with the same brush, But I guess that is partly their aim.

Where did you get that idea from?

muppet

Quote from: omaghjoe on June 27, 2015, 09:09:47 AM

What is this in reference to.... the Cromwellian conquest?

Sadly that is but one good example.

The Limerick Pogrom is another lesser known example.
MWWSI 2017

omaghjoe

Quote from: Old yeller on June 27, 2015, 09:22:52 AM
Quote from: omaghjoe on June 27, 2015, 09:07:28 AM

Also huge number?

Where did you get that idea from?

Well there is no doubt up until the 16the century the Islamic world which streched from Spain to India was the advanced society in the world that European knew. At least in terms of things how we measure society: education, arts, architecture, trade, tolerance. considering that Christian Europe was going through a regression in this same period it would only appear to have come out of this slump when it started to adopt a more progressive outlook. This outlook was almost certainly fostered through exchange of ideas with the more progressive East. The rise of Venice being a good example.