Niall Ewing Interview "This is not what I signed up for"

Started by Kuwabatake Sanjuro, July 14, 2018, 10:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: Itchy on July 15, 2018, 10:33:39 AM
Interesting that there's no mention of the really harmed player in the country, the club player. I read somewhere a few weeks ago a number of Sligo clubs gave walkovers as county players weren't allowed play a game with them and of course the county players themselves refused to stand up and play with their clubs.

Even if the schedule was great for club players in the summer a rake of top club players aged 18-23 will be off on J1s for the summer anyways. They're not going to stick around because Cavan Gaels have a match every two weeks in the group stages of the Cavan championship..

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

I find having an early autumn championship is fair enough as we usually do in Kildare. If our county board scheduling committee showed a bit more common sense with the timing of league games and issued fixtures early and in a logical manner then there would be no complaints.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 15, 2018, 07:16:14 AM
Great read. The people pushing for a tiered competition always seem to be from Kerry, Dublin or Tyrone or else involved in broadcast media who would have a massive vested interest.

You don't commit to the games to be on YouTube or a 10 second clip on Twitter.

I heard Emlyn Mulligan on Parkinsons podcast recently and he was in favour of a tiered championship as he wanted to play more games against teams of a similar standard, he alluded to that this view was held by many others on the panel too.

Esmarelda

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 18, 2018, 04:52:25 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 15, 2018, 07:16:14 AM
Great read. The people pushing for a tiered competition always seem to be from Kerry, Dublin or Tyrone or else involved in broadcast media who would have a massive vested interest.

You don't commit to the games to be on YouTube or a 10 second clip on Twitter.

I heard Emlyn Mulligan on Parkinsons podcast recently and he was in favour of a tiered championship as he wanted to play more games against teams of a similar standard, he alluded to that this view was held by many others on the panel too.
I'd say there's been an increase in players agreeing with Mulligan. It'd be interesting to see how many. However, I'm not sure how this would help. Leitrim play such teams every year in the league and have shown little progress. They won two games this year for the first time in a good while I'd say, one of whom was a division 2 team. I don't see how Leitrim would benefit from playing division 3 and 4 teams in the summer.

Rossfan

Win a Junior Title and move up to Inter?
Emlyn (or Leitrim's next big name) would get to play a Championship Final in Croke Park.
The (ex) Division 2 team they bet this year was Louth.
They get to play a good or higher placed team every year in Connacht.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

rodney trotter

Leitrim haven't played in Croke Park since it was redeveloped.  They need something to aspire too, same with a few other counties.

Gaa rolling the red carpet for Dublin and forgetting the rest

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on July 18, 2018, 08:14:53 PM
Emlyn (or Leitrim's next big name) would get to play a Championship Final in Croke Park.

If they get to a D4 final they'd get to play in Croke Park before just as tiny a crowd as that hypotethical game. You're running out of ideas and wriggle room on this one.

BarryBreensBandage

At the recent U14 All Ireland Feile, the games between the evenly matched teams were the most enjoyable, not only for the spectators but the players.
You can see it in the players that they are more up for a game, run more, try more, when they know they are playing a team at their level.
There's nothing worse for morale at that age than taking a real hiding by a superior team.
I know that that feeling doesn't leave you as you grow older.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

Blowitupref

Quote from: rodney trotter on July 18, 2018, 08:40:27 PM
Leitrim haven't played in Croke Park since it was redeveloped.  They need something to aspire too, same with a few other counties.

Gaa rolling the red carpet for Dublin and forgetting the rest
Leitrim v Louth Tommy Murphy cup final in 2006 was played Croke Park but i guess like everything with 2nd tier competitions that is forgotten about now.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Rossfan

Tommy Murphy was a back of an envelope TOURNAMENT.

Esmarelda

Fine. If the likes of Leitrim want to play in a junior championship I say give it to them. But I don't see any realistic hope of them winning it. Success needn't be measured in trophies alone. Improvement can be measured in other ways and I don't see a third tiered championship would do much to improve Leitrims fortunes.

JoG2

Quote from: Esmarelda on July 18, 2018, 10:45:25 PM
Fine. If the likes of Leitrim want to play in a junior championship I say give it to them. But I don't see any realistic hope of them winning it. Success needn't be measured in trophies alone. Improvement can be measured in other ways and I don't see a third tiered championship would do much to improve Leitrims fortunes.

Firstly, I know next to nothing about Leitrim football. A Sam or Connacht title is so far out of reach maybe many don't commit and those who do are a beaten docket before they take the field. If, after the Connacht campaign they went into a junior competition, who knows, it may galvanise the county and give them something more realistic to aspire to. Who's to say in 3/4 years they wouldn't be challenging or making decent inward roads in a Junior championship?

Esmarelda

Quote from: JoG2 on July 18, 2018, 10:59:36 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on July 18, 2018, 10:45:25 PM

Firstly, I know next to nothing about Leitrim football. A Sam or Connacht title is so far out of reach maybe many don't commit and those who do are a beaten docket before they take the field. If, after the Connacht campaign they went into a junior competition, who knows, it may galvanise the county and give them something more realistic to aspire to. Who's to say in 3/4 years they wouldn't be challenging or making decent inward roads in a Junior championship?

You're right, it could work wonders for them. But I'm wondering why it would when little or no progress has been made in their league performances.

I'm not against it if that's what the players and GAA people from such counties want. I'm just questioning the merits of it.

Rossfan

Don't all Counties have 3 tiers in their Club Championships?
Kerry and Cork have more I suspect.
I never yet saw an unhappy Junior or Inter Championship winning team.
John Horan is supposed to be going round talking to Counties to see what they might want.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Rossfan on July 18, 2018, 10:11:03 PM
Tommy Murphy was a back of an envelope TOURNAMENT.

Like the Nicky Rackard and Lory Meagher cups in Hurling currently? 
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose