NFL Div 2 2020

Started by Laoiseabu, October 18, 2019, 12:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

High Fielder

It's of little consequence OTH. Division 2 or 3 seems to make no difference to our development. Some lads are still stuck in the revolving door, not knowing whether they want to play or not. Others, inexplicably, played in Division 4 and 3, and dropped away when we got to Division 2. More than half the counties in Ireland occupy this wasteland. It's like watching another sport watching Mayo and Galway today. The speed, physical development and skills set are simply on another level.

Laois Rising

Laois are punching according to their weight. Avoiding relegation from division 2 was a realistic aspiration, especially with four games away from O'Moore park. With a game to go that is the situation we find ourselves in. A win next weekend should see us safe. I would have taken that at start of year.

Unfortunately, Laois does not possess 3 or 4 star/elite footballers that can build team around/drive us forward-that is the difference between us being average to competing at higher level (Timmons injured, Ross nearly 38 and Donie on sabbatical were probably those players). What we have presently is about 40 footballers in the county all at a similar enough standard to one another-we are lacking real star quality at the moment. Westmeath have players like Connellan and Heslin, we unfortunately don't. With players like that in your side, everyone else is made to look better. 

High Fielder

Of course it's beneficial to have 3, 4 or more standout players, and you're right, we don't have those at the moment. I also agree that we're probably where we should be, and maybe even a level above. But ask yourself this. Do you see anything happening to change that? From all parties concerned? I don't. Our development doesn't exist

Chrimtain

We may not have the players in either football or hurling, but it's a great consolation to know that OMP floodlights are only the very best thanks to the foresight of our wonderful county board. They deserve great credit for getting their priorities right.

clonadmad

Quote from: Chrimtain on October 20, 2020, 11:58:02 PM
We may not have the players in either football or hurling, but it's a great consolation to know that OMP floodlights are only the very best thanks to the foresight of our wonderful county board. They deserve great credit for getting their priorities right.

Why do you think they are being replaced?.

Would you prefer if there wasn't floodlights in place and they played in the dark?

Laois Rising

Quote from: High Fielder on October 20, 2020, 09:24:36 AM
Of course it's beneficial to have 3, 4 or more standout players, and you're right, we don't have those at the moment. I also agree that we're probably where we should be, and maybe even a level above. But ask yourself this. Do you see anything happening to change that? From all parties concerned? I don't. Our development doesn't exist

I 100 percent agree with you. The development officers have such an important role to play in establishing good practice and structures within the county. in this regards we (like a lot of counties) need more of them going into clubs, schools etc. providing coaching, passing on knowledge, programmes and expertise. Unfortunately (without naming names) the county board have recruited poorly or where we have got talented people in, they have moved on too quickly to have a lasting impact.

Ultimately though, the development of players lies within the clubs and having the right people with the drive and determination to push things on within a club- Rosenallis for me is a great example of a club that has invested hugely in their underage structures and it is starting to bear fruit. Both their footballers and hurlers have made serious strides and with younger players coming through over next couple of years you can see them making further strides. I wouldn't be surprised to see more players from this club representing Laois on county panels over the next number of years. I do think some of our bigger 'traditional football clubs' need to look at how they are running things at underage level within the club and ask are they maximising their potential- again this is easier said than done- you need a good number of individuals to dedicate a lot of their free time and energies to commit to doing this.   

High Fielder

I hadn't heard the rumours about players being asked to sidestep Laois. I think it's a matter for the individuals themselves, their willingness to commit and how seriously they take inter county football. I've lost count of the amount of players who have dropped away and reappeared, sometimes replacing lads who are also trapped in the revolving door. This is why coaches will keep turning back to Ross and one or two others; they are reliable at the very least. It doesn't say much about a lad if he can't develop in a county panel and can't get by a 37 year old in the pecking order.

And this is another one of our problems. We seem to go looking for the reset button at the end of each season, whether it's been good or bad. If we're not changing the head coach, we're doing a roll call on who fancies it next year. That's an attitude problem, and you won't develop individually or collectively with that sort of approach. There are genuine reasons in some cases of course, but we're some county for turnover. Just one of many issues that we have to address.

High Fielder

Sounds like a trip to Fermanagh could well have implications for those travelling. Another inter county team pulled the plug this morning, citing the isolation period that would ensue.

armaghniac

Quote from: High Fielder on October 22, 2020, 10:04:23 AM
Sounds like a trip to Fermanagh could well have implications for those travelling. Another inter county team pulled the plug this morning, citing the isolation period that would ensue.

An isolation period only arises if you are in contact with a case while travelling e.g. like the Roscommon bus, so it is not inevitable.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

High Fielder

Waterford GAA taking a different view. Whether we like it or not, going over the border is entering another jurisdiction, and the approach there has been even worse than in the Republic. Hence the proportionately shocking number of positives

armaghniac

Quote from: High Fielder on October 22, 2020, 12:00:39 PM
Waterford GAA taking a different view. Whether we like it or not, going over the border is entering another jurisdiction, and the approach there has been even worse than in the Republic. Hence the proportionately shocking number of positives

There are no isolation requirements for crossing the border and the number of Covid cases differs in each part of the country. A particular problem with Covid in one area might be a justification for moving a game, however no unit of the the GAA should be allowed take a partitionist approach. We'll end up in complete chaos if particular teams are able to make up their own rules when it suits them.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

High Fielder

I'm speaking personally without any wish to be partitionist. Fermanagh is in Northern Ireland and therefore adopting different policies to our own. In my opinion, the approach taken in the North and in the rest of the UK has been negligent. That's just my opinion. It's up to Laois GAA and the players to decide if they want to play. I wouldn't personally but each to their own. You can settle yourself Armaghniac. Laois GAA are not in the habit of rocking any boats.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Is this game being televised by any of the streaming companies does anyone know??
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

marty34

Quote from: High Fielder on October 22, 2020, 12:32:44 PM
I'm speaking personally without any wish to be partitionist. Fermanagh is in Northern Ireland and therefore adopting different policies to our own. In my opinion, the approach taken in the North and in the rest of the UK has been negligent. That's just my opinion. It's up to Laois GAA and the players to decide if they want to play. I wouldn't personally but each to their own. You can settle yourself Armaghniac. Laois GAA are not in the habit of rocking any boats.

Where is this place you speak of?

Some amount of west brit 'gaa fans' on this board in fairness.  Board is coming down with them. Although worse than that is the gaa from the 6 counties who use this type of term.

And you think that only Waterford are partitionists with their recent statements!

High Fielder

A bit of context there please. You might also note that I previously said whether we like it or not, before you go charging off on your high horse there.
::)

Best of luck to Laois against Fermanagh. Tough game for us at the moment