Division 2 2024

Started by Captain Scarlet, January 16, 2023, 02:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David McKeown

Quote from: SouthOfThe Bann on March 03, 2024, 04:59:29 PM
Quote from: Captain Scarlet on March 03, 2024, 11:49:35 AMAre Meath and Cavan going better than expected? I half-expected for the wheels to come off Meath this year...well I hoped as much but it turns out it's Kildare who are in bits.

That draw should see Armagh and Donegal doing the job now. I don't think any of the others would really survive in the top division at this stage.

Does the draw change anything from a Cavan perspective?

If Cavan win all their games they still go up or am I wrong on that?

Yes the top 3 all have their destiny in their own hands
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Sandy Hill

Armagh + Donegal on 9 pts each
Cavan on 7 pts
Two games left.
"Stercus accidit"

Armagh18

We beat Cavan we go up on head to head and can go to Cork with the pressure off. Cavan beat us and win their other game they go up. Next game is huge.

FermGael

Louth V Fermanagh next.

Would think the loser of that will be relegated
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Itchy

Quote from: Armagh18 on March 03, 2024, 05:45:10 PMWe beat Cavan we go up on head to head and can go to Cork with the pressure off. Cavan beat us and win their other game they go up. Next game is huge.

If you beat Cavan, head to head won't come into it. You'll be more than 2 points ahead of your nearest rival with one game left, ie promoted. To be honest I'm hoping Cavan bring a big performance to Armagh but I think it might be too big an ask.

Armagh18

Quote from: Itchy on March 03, 2024, 06:08:50 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on March 03, 2024, 05:45:10 PMWe beat Cavan we go up on head to head and can go to Cork with the pressure off. Cavan beat us and win their other game they go up. Next game is huge.

If you beat Cavan, head to head won't come into it. You'll be more than 2 points ahead of your nearest rival with one game left, ie promoted. To be honest I'm hoping Cavan bring a big performance to Armagh but I think it might be too big an ask.
Apologies yeah you're right. We're probably favourites and I'm glad it's at home because I wouldn't fancy having to go to Cavan needing a result.

Not been a whole pile between the Ulster team games except for Fermanaghs second half collapse against Donegal, only a point between yourselves and Donegal.

Dreadnought

Quote from: 5times5times on March 02, 2024, 09:45:22 PMCavan really should be nowhere near div2 next year if results go their way.

Meath should have been home & hosed with the goal chances.
What do you mean here if you mind me asking? I don't know if you mean up or down :D

imtommygunn

Was that Donegal goal legit?

Armaghtothebone

Question for Cavan folk.
Has there been a significant improvement since last Summer?
Was really surprised how poor they were in the championship meeting.
Kept saying on the way to Brefni for the championship how you never get anything easy there, and then Cavan were so poor on the day.
I have a feeling it won't be any ways near as handy Sunday week.

armaghniac

Quote from: Armaghtothebone on March 04, 2024, 09:56:26 PMI have a feeling it won't be any ways near as handy Sunday week.

Well at least the weather may be better.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Dreadnought

Quote from: Armaghtothebone on March 04, 2024, 09:56:26 PMQuestion for Cavan folk.
Kept saying on the way to Brefni for the championship how you never get anything easy there, and then Cavan were so poor on the day.
It's not that there's significant improvement, we just happened to be really really bad in that match. We were missing players too, some half injured but played anyway, and dying fumes of last manager. All that notwithstanding, we were worse than bad, it was a dip from expected level last year. Think we're now above our level of last year, so with that being a dip, I think we'll be far better. But is League football so far, so pinch of salt and all that

Townend

Quote from: Armaghtothebone on March 04, 2024, 09:56:26 PMQuestion for Cavan folk.
Hard to know. We're trying to transition from defence to attack much quicker than last year but it's a bit hit and miss. We've had three games on the trot where we've played poorly in the first half and were down 3 or 4 points only to have a much stronger second half. We were particularly poor the other night. If we repeat that against Armagh you'll be home and hosed at the short whistle. What really disappointed supporters last year against youse was we didn't throw a punch and had no real cut about us. Having said that if Rian hadn't blocked that shot on the line then it would've been a very interesting last 10 minutes with the momentum with Cavan. Ray definitely trying to address that lack of punch this year and the attitude and grit we've shown has been the standout feature of our game. We've fond memories of the Athletic Grounds too! Breffni not a fortress anymore, in fact I'd nearly think the players prefer playing away. Armagh will be big favourites which will suit us and the two week break has come at the right time as I thought we were a bit out on our feet against Meath after two physically tough away games and we might get a few bodies back.

Itchy

Well I think in parts we have been better and at the end of the day we are playing better teams than last year and beating most and only losing by a point to Donegal (and we probably wouldve got a draw if the ref had played the proper amount of time). However I do worry a bit about Armaghs forwards with all the space we will give them on counter attacks as we are really committing men forward when we attack. Last year the consensus was that we felt we were ready for Armagh and well prepared but we were wrong and playing Div4 and Div3 football caught up with us in terms of physical preparation and just the pace and intensity of Ulster championship. We've had some good intense battles in the league so far so hopefully we are getting there. Armagh should probably win but if we get a few of our injured players like McVeety and Conor Brady back on the starting team then who knows. Great to be certain of AI champ football this year with 2 games left and that was the main goal.

illdecide

Well let's call a spade a spade...Cavan are not and shouldn't have been a division 3 team. They're at their level now which is in or around the top end of division 2. If both Armagh and Cavan play to their strengths then I'd have Armagh the slightest of favourites and I mean a point or two so that's how I rate Cavan. Based on that anything can happen on the day and whoever gets that wee bit of luck, we're at home and that is def worth a couple of pts to Armagh and based on that I'm going for 2-3 point win for Armagh. If this game was in Brefni I'd be worried...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch