NFL Division 1 2022

Started by Blowitupref, January 15, 2022, 08:56:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: full moon on March 21, 2022, 02:29:28 PM
Quote from: APM on March 21, 2022, 02:03:59 PM
Quote from: Feckitt on March 21, 2022, 01:37:21 PM
On RTE last night, they talked about Kerry for 5 or 6 minutes without ever even mentioning Armagh, then in the final 20 seconds, Colm Boyle said Armagh were flat, Joanne agreed that they were a bit flat, then Colm Boyle repeated that Armagh looked flat.  That was it!!

Then for The All Ireland Champions v Mayo, Joanne said, "A good win there for Tyrone, Colm lets talk about Mayo"

It was a bit of a joke alright. All you could do was laugh at it.  Kerry won by three points and they had to work for it.  They did keep Armagh at arms length for most of the game, but they were under serious pressure with their kickouts in the last 15-20 mins and there wasn't a word about it - it was basically a Kerry love in. If they were only going to analyse Kerry - at least analyse the good and the bad. 

Joanne seems to be challenging the pundits a bit, particularly O'Rourke and Spillane, particularly if she thinks they are being inconsistent.  It definitely needs done and she's right to do it.  I'm not sure I like the way she goes about it - bit too pleased with herself or something - would be surprised if it isn't pissing the two old codgers off.

League Sunday is pointless, there just isn't enough time or coverage. And the stuff they do is poor. To top it off they have added camoige and ladies football into it. While it's mostly under the GAA banner, that's 4 different sports loads of leagues nevermind teams involved.

There really isn't the time to show Hurling and Football in the same show and do it justice. I mean even when they have weekends it's all football it's still constrained by time and not worth sticking on.

GAA need to get their finger out and actual put out highlights or even full games on YouTube now. The games are recorded, what use keeping them hidden away.

Even if there was 24 hour GAA channel it would never be enough. Same with newspapers. There is never enough GAA coverage, especially after your county wins the All Ireland.

Rossfan

D1 could end up with 5 teams on 7 points or 5 teams on 5 points. :o
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Hound

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on March 22, 2022, 12:35:12 AM
Yeah, it's great. Love the permutations. Could end up with a number of teams on 5 points if Mon-Dub draw and any of Tyrone, Donegal, Kildare lose. Dublin (-11) have a better scoring difference than Tyrone (-12). IF Donegal (-9) lose by 2 points they would be level with Dublin.

So if Dublin and Mon drew, Tyrone win and Donegal lose by 2, how do they determine who goes down? Does it go back to head to head between Dublin and Donegal?
Where more than two teams finish level on points, finishing order is decided by:

1 – Points difference.

2 – Highest total scores.

3 – Highest total points.

4 – A play-off.

An Watcher

I think Tyrone are screwed as can't see them getting anything this weekend and not convinced donegal will go full pelt v armagh

Redhand Santa

Quote from: An Watcher on March 22, 2022, 01:30:29 PM
I think Tyrone are screwed as can't see them getting anything this weekend and not convinced donegal will go full pelt v armagh

Be a bit of a risk from Donegal given they would end up relegated if Tyrone and Kildare did win.

yellowcard

Quote from: An Watcher on March 22, 2022, 01:30:29 PM

Donegal can't afford not to take the game lightly, I think they are a near certainty to win that match as Armagh will likely play some fringe players and treat it as a pre championship training camp. Mayo could well do the same in terms of experimentation against Kildare but there is more of an expectation on the home side to put in a performance. Similar with Kerry against Tyrone although I think Kerry would be too strong for Tyrone in any scenario anyway. So I can see Donegal and Kerry winning quite comfortably whereas the Mayo v Kildare game is much more difficult to call.

Kildare have surprised me in terms of the level they have reached and even if they do get relegated I think they have shown enough improvement to think that they can at least challenge Dublin in Leinster later this summer. They do need to prove yet that they can play as well when taken out of Newbridge though.   

Solo_run

So many ways the tables can be decided.

Likely outcome I believe

Tyrone win. Kerry have nothing to play for but it depends on if they want to relegate Tyrone.

Kildare win. Mayo don't want to go into the league final - evident last week they don't really want it.

Donegal win. Do Donegal want to force Armagh into another game before their championship meeting? If they win and Mayo lose, Armagh have no choice as there could be more than 3 teams on 7 points.

Dublin win. Won't be good enough as the three teams above them would have won meaning they are relegated on 6 points along with Monaghan on 4.

balladmaker

Quote from: Solo_run on March 22, 2022, 02:08:35 PM

Likely outcome I believe

Tyrone win. Kerry have nothing to play for but it depends on if they want to relegate Tyrone.

Kildare win. Mayo don't want to go into the league final - evident last week they don't really want it.

Donegal win. Do Donegal want to force Armagh into another game before their championship meeting? If they win and Mayo lose, Armagh have no choice as there could be more than 3 teams on 7 points.

Dublin win. Won't be good enough as the three teams above them would have won meaning they are relegated on 6 points along with Monaghan on 4.

From an Armagh perspective, any national final is a good one to be in, however, not sure how getting a potential tanking from Kerry in Croke Park a couple of weeks before Championship would serve them well.  However, if both Mayo and Armagh lose, depending on the margin of Kildare's win vs Armagh's loss, one of them could end up in the league final.

armaghniac

Quote from: balladmaker on March 22, 2022, 02:22:52 PM

Likely outcome I believe

From an Armagh perspective, any national final is a good one to be in, however, not sure how getting a potential tanking from Kerry in Croke Park a couple of weeks before Championship would serve them well.  However, if both Mayo and Armagh lose, depending on the margin of Kildare's win vs Armagh's loss, one of them could end up in the league final.

If Armagh were up for it, then Kerry would likely beat them, but not deliver a tanking. This is not Derry v Dublin of a few years ago.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Solo_run

If we did get to a final it would at least highlight potential problems in the team that could be addressed before Donegal. 

Blowitupref

To be relegated odds

Monaghan 3/10
Tyrone 4/7
Kildare 15/8
Dublin 2/1
Donegal 15/2

To play Kerry in the final

Mayo 1/7
Armagh 4/1
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

yellowcard

Likely outcome I believe

I completely see your logic but there are 3 worthwhile trophies to play for all season (of which the national league is one) and we are talking about the potential fear of receiving a beating in a national final. If that is the attitude (and I'm not saying that it is yours but I have heard it said by some) then what is the point in turning out. If Armagh get to the final they will at least be competitive and I would hope that some lessons would have been learned from Sundays match to put into practice the next day. The more exposure they have to these high level games the better as far as I'm concerned. 

The same thing applies to Mayo in facing Kildare and some of the talk that they might want to avoid a League final. Neither of these counties are exactly laden with national titles so I don't see why they should be trying to avoid them for fear of receiving a hiding. That said I don't expect either county to play with full sides nor full motivation at the weekend. If Armagh happened to get to a League final on scoring difference then it would be great preparation for championship imo. Much better than anything that could be gained from a training session.   

Average Score

Quote from: Blowitupref on March 22, 2022, 02:59:37 PM
To be relegated odds

Monaghan 3/10
Tyrone 4/7
Kildare 15/8
Dublin 2/1
Donegal 15/2

To play Kerry in the final

Mayo 1/7
Armagh 4/1

I'd say that is about right Kerry will enjoy dropping Tyrone, can't see Kildare living with any Mayo team.

Redhand Santa

Given the bookies expect Mayo to beat Kildare and Donegal to beat Armagh, it's surprising they have Tyrone much shorter favs to be relegated than Kildare.

balladmaker

Quote from: yellowcard on March 22, 2022, 03:35:44 PM

Likely outcome I believe

I completely see your logic but there are 3 worthwhile trophies to play for all season (of which the national league is one) and we are talking about the potential fear of receiving a beating in a national final. If that is the attitude (and I'm not saying that it is yours but I have heard it said by some) then what is the point in turning out. If Armagh get to the final they will at least be competitive and I would hope that some lessons would have been learned from Sundays match to put into practice the next day. The more exposure they have to these high level games the better as far as I'm concerned. 

The same thing applies to Mayo in facing Kildare and some of the talk that they might want to avoid a League final. Neither of these counties are exactly laden with national titles so I don't see why they should be trying to avoid them for fear of receiving a hiding. That said I don't expect either county to play with full sides nor full motivation at the weekend. If Armagh happened to get to a League final on scoring difference then it would be great preparation for championship imo. Much better than anything that could be gained from a training session.

I'd love to see Armagh in the NFL Final, especially in Croke Park.  The more games they get in HQ, the better for this team.  So if it is to happen, bring it on.  The only fear is a bad day out against Kerry, and picking up the pieces just a few weeks before a trip to Ballybofey, but would still want to see Armagh in a national final none the less.  Likewise on Sunday, do Armagh go full tilt with their potential championship line out and go for the win ... a big call to be made on that front by management.  I don't think they will.