The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lenny

Quote from: Armagh18 on October 19, 2022, 11:58:53 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on October 19, 2022, 11:49:27 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on October 18, 2022, 11:24:49 PM
It's great to see all these old fogies gone. The Sunday Game has been stale for two decades at least.

I have no problem with the old fogies going but the problem is they are replacing them with boring robots. Its often not the pundits own fault though as they are constrained by what they are allowed to say without veering off script.
Oisin McConville, Aaron Kernan and Peter Canavan- 3 of the best to ever do it in their position and probably the 3 most knowledgable and straight talking pundits I've seen. Throw in Mugsy as well for a bit of craic.

Mugsy might be good craic on a night out but he's useless as a pundit. We need intelligent, articulate pundits and those are minimum requirements. They needn't necessarily come from the major counties. I find that the pundits who've had experience in management are much more clued in and easier to listen to.

Armagh18

Quote from: lenny on October 19, 2022, 12:19:10 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on October 19, 2022, 11:58:53 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on October 19, 2022, 11:49:27 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on October 18, 2022, 11:24:49 PM
It's great to see all these old fogies gone. The Sunday Game has been stale for two decades at least.

I have no problem with the old fogies going but the problem is they are replacing them with boring robots. Its often not the pundits own fault though as they are constrained by what they are allowed to say without veering off script.
Oisin McConville, Aaron Kernan and Peter Canavan- 3 of the best to ever do it in their position and probably the 3 most knowledgable and straight talking pundits I've seen. Throw in Mugsy as well for a bit of craic.

Mugsy might be good craic on a night out but he's useless as a pundit. We need intelligent, articulate pundits and those are minimum requirements. They needn't necessarily come from the major counties. I find that the pundits who've had experience in management are much more clued in and easier to listen to.
Fair enough about Mugsy but you do need that entertainment value too imo. The other 3 provide excellent analysis any time I've heard them speak about games. You need someone who can tell you something you don't already know or point out little things that aren't obvious to Joe Bloggs that might be happening in games, rather than repeating the same old cliched lines over and over

oakleaflad

Oisin managing Wicklow this coming season so could rule him out of the punditry side of things too.

twohands!!!

Quote from: oakleaflad on October 20, 2022, 09:49:49 AM
Oisin managing Wicklow this coming season so could rule him out of the punditry side of things too.

He was on the Examiner podcast talking about the Wicklow job a few weeks back and he's definitely cutting back on the punditry side of things based on what he said there.
General vibe was that he wouldn't be on that podcast on a weekly basis anymore but might drop in once or twice if his schedule allows it.
Overall I'd expect to see/hear far less of him on GAA media while he is involved with Wicklow.

Wildweasel74

Should be Dara O'Cinneide presenting ( In fact he should been ahead of Joanne for the live games) Job just came up at the time where sport TV representation was been spread out.

Saffrongael

It will be a female so mentioning anyone that is a man is a waste of time
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Brendan

Quote from: Saffrongael on October 20, 2022, 09:24:48 PM
It will be a female so mentioning anyone that is a man is a waste of time

That can be easily solved in 2022, all he will have to do is say he identifies as a woman

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Captain Scarlet

Des is no host of Saturday and Sunday Sport on the radio so it's Jacqui Hurley.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

seafoid

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on October 22, 2022, 08:02:37 AM
Des is no host of Saturday and Sunday Sport on the radio so it's Jacqui Hurley.
Maybe a dual ticket of Jacqui Hurley and Jackie Football would work
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Jim Bob

Quote from: twohands!!! on October 20, 2022, 12:33:46 PM
Quote from: oakleaflad on October 20, 2022, 09:49:49 AM

He was on the Examiner podcast talking about the Wicklow job a few weeks back and he's definitely cutting back on the punditry side of things based on what he said there.
General vibe was that he wouldn't be on that podcast on a weekly basis anymore but might drop in once or twice if his schedule allows it.
Overall I'd expect to see/hear far less of him on GAA media while he is involved with Wicklow.

Has Oisin a day job ?

rodney trotter

St Pats of Wicklow were very poor last night in the Leinster Club against Palentine.  If they are the best team in Wicklow then that would be a concern for McConville.

From the Bunker

O'Rourke proves he had not a scooby, what he was talking about the last 20 years.

Blowitupref

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose