The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Maroon Manc on December 07, 2020, 11:56:14 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on December 07, 2020, 11:48:23 AM
Around 39,000 these days anyway (only 3% of the population mind you. Ros CB area pop 62k 6,500 registered players).

Dublin offers the greatest scope for growth in our games which sounds ridiculous but is true, if someone can offer me a logical reason not to split Dublin I'm all ears.

Because it'll devalue the competition when Dublin a play Dublin b in the final
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rossfan

Several Kildare Co Finals have been between Newbridge Clubs Sarsfields and Moorfield.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

RedHand88

Quote from: Silkyskillssunshinee on December 06, 2020, 10:55:16 PM
Some of the shite Gilroy came out made me chuckle. "It's almost racism" and "Sligo with Leitrim, whatever. They know each other from DCU."

Jesus Christ is this actually the argument he used?!?!

From the Bunker

The problem I'd have with splitting Dublin is who'd holds onto the bragging rights?

Who lays claim to the 29 AI titles? The 58 Leinsters?

To the 5/6 in a row?

To the Colours and the Crest?

Does all this go into limbo if a split occurs?

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on December 07, 2020, 01:16:33 PM
The problem I'd have with splitting Dublin is who'd holds onto the bragging rights?

To the 5/6 in a row?

Yes. In sport where you have a big change like that the clock usually  goes back to zero
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

J70

Quote from: From the Bunker on December 07, 2020, 01:16:33 PM

To the 5/6 in a row?

Does it really matter? They'd all be able to take pride in the historical record. Stuff like colours are details. No reason why they all couldn't wear the Dublin colours and just change when playing each other.

Ballyshannon and Bundoran merged to form St. Josephs for 15 years back in the 60s and 70s, with the team almost completely built on people who attended De La Salle in Ballyshannon together. They went on to thoroughly dominate the Donegal championship, won an unofficial AI club in 1968 and a club Ulster title in 1975 (you'd the likes of McEniff, Carney, McShea and other county men on the team). Then, a couple of years after the Ulster club, they split up again.

Their titles sit there still in the Donegal and Ulster roll of honour. I guess Bundoran and Aodh Rua can each point to having played their part, but I've never heard anyone getting exercised over who gets credit.

imtommygunn

Every time I read stuff here it reads like it's a given they will split Dublin. It's really not.

I would be shocked, not surprised but shocked, if they were to seriously discuss it at any point in the near future.

Milltown Row2

There'll be a United Ireland before Dublin splits
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

yellowcard

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 07, 2020, 01:44:16 PM
Every time I read stuff here it reads like it's a given they will split Dublin. It's really not.

I would be shocked, not surprised but shocked, if they were to seriously discuss it at any point in the near future.

I don't think it is going to happen either, when it comes to making big structural change bureaucrats will always protect their own nest first and often fail to see the bigger picture. Look at fixture scheduling as a prime example which is a far more pressing concern for the organisation as a whole and which affects tens of thousands of players at club level and not the hundreds at county level.

I'm not saying that the Dublin split at county level won't happen at some point in the future but I certainly don't see it as being on the agenda anytime in the next few years.   

imtommygunn

Yeah agreed. 5 in a row is not going to merit everything being changed. If it gets utterly ridiculous then something will need discussed but when do you decide it has become utterly ridiculous is the question?

Don't get me wrong I think something needs done but at present you have a team who's won 5 in a row when in the past 3 in a row was done and an eyelid wasn't batted. I really really hope Mayo win this year but fear there could be a lesson coming up too. I don't think that will shake anything. It would take a large decrease in takings from the GAA to shake it up would be my view on it.

J70

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 07, 2020, 02:08:56 PM
Yeah agreed. 5 in a row is not going to merit everything being changed. If it gets utterly ridiculous then something will need discussed but when do you decide it has become utterly ridiculous is the question?

Don't get me wrong I think something needs done but at present you have a team who's won 5 in a row when in the past 3 in a row was done and an eyelid wasn't batted. I really really hope Mayo win this year but fear there could be a lesson coming up too. I don't think that will shake anything. It would take a large decrease in takings from the GAA to shake it up would be my view on it.

When Kerry did it, it was with an exceptional generation of players who came through together.

That's not the case with Dublin at this point. Their well is not remotely looking like running dry any time soon.

I agree, its not going to happen in the next few seasons. And I agree that the primary question is when the line is finally drawn. In 2025 when we're looking at 12 or 13 titles out of the previous 15 (I'm leaving scope in there for Mayo or Kerry to catch them on a "bad" day over the next five years).

2030, when they'll have won 8 or 9 or even 10 this decade on top of the seven in the 2010s?

I haven't even mentioned Leinster.

imtommygunn

QuoteWhen Kerry did it, it was with an exceptional generation of players who came through together.

That's not the case with Dublin at this point. Their well is not remotely looking like running dry any time soon.

I fully agree with you but this seems to be an argument that some people believe and is the argument that is presented back. I believe it's not the case and so do most outside of Dublin but how do you prove it until enough time passes? If they win this year it is 8 from 10 if my maths is correct... I think there are some who'd have been on all 8?

Rudi

With the constant shift of rural population to big cities, this problem will only worsen. Dublins dominance has more to do with government policy than ordinary Gaa folk. The country folk that love all things Gaa by becoming coaches and joining committees have created a monster in Dublin Gaa. I think it's great that young ones are playing Gaa in Dublin in huge numbers, better than getting involved with various anti social behaviour. Wonder if the parent, grand parent rule can be optimised more, maybe Paul Mannion might play for the Rossies. Then again his friends are all Dubs so he probably feels more for his home team.

Maroon Manc

Its clearly not on the agenda now and won't be unless it starts affecting gate receipts, tv and commercial revenue.

But if we continue with this trend which looks a distinct possibility then some or all the above will start to dwindle.

macdanger2

I think splitting Dublin or amalgamating counties should be a last resort although it may become inevitable in the future.

Before going down that road, there is plenty around funding, putting good development plans in place in counties, etc. that can be done to try and make the championship more competitive