The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Dessie was one of the cutest hoors on the field that I've ever seen. Could manufacture a free was easily as COC but never got the bad press because he always did it with a smile on his face. He's playing ye like flutes.

Beantown

Owen Duffy scores a point via the post. McManus jumps for it, gets nowhere it,  yet after a few replays Canning still says it was McManus point. 
Maybe my eyes were deceiving me but it seemed to hit the post a couple of feet above the bar and go over.

He even said "McManus will take the credit for it"......

RTE have to look for fresh young commentators...Canning was decent in his day but its time to move on.......

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 11, 2017, 10:13:47 PM
Fennelly catches the ball and drives towards goal!

How do you legally stop him?

He definitely takes more than 4 steps and has his head down.

Not sure of Hurling rules. Can he do that?
It looked like 3 bouncers trying to drag a fella away from a dance floor fight.

Minder

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on June 12, 2017, 09:57:53 AM

He did take quite a few steps before he started getting fouled
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Avondhu star

Why bring Diarmuid Connolly into this?
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

johnneycool

Quote from: Minder on June 12, 2017, 10:03:31 AM

He did take quite a few steps before he started getting fouled

What comes first, the overcarrying and barging or the pulling and dragging? Both need refereed properly or its going to descend into a bigger farce that it already is, but then that doesn't feed into the hurling mantra of letting the game flow or its a manly game (c) Eddie Keher when KK were cutting lumps out of everyone, but on Saturday they got out bullied by a bigger team.

On the second KK penalty, a lovely, timely shove by Fennelly allowed him the space to catch the ball and run through to be dragged down.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: johnneycool on June 12, 2017, 12:54:03 PM
What comes first, the overcarrying and barging or the pulling and dragging? Both need refereed properly or its going to descend into a bigger farce that it already is, but then that doesn't feed into the hurling mantra of letting the game flow or its a manly game (c) Eddie Keher when KK were cutting lumps out of everyone, but on Saturday they got out bullied by a bigger team.
It's funny how opinions can change with time and circumstances.
I remember the day after 1998 All Ireland final, Eddie Keher had a newspaper column where he suggested that Joe Errity had gotten away with charging for the goal he scored.
https://youtu.be/1mSMlPSEpMk Go to 4:00

It wouldn't be considered unusual in the current collision oriented game.
Nowadays he would be wrapped up with the spare arm instead of an attempted shoulder challenge.

johnneycool

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on June 13, 2017, 03:49:36 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on June 12, 2017, 12:54:03 PM
It's funny how opinions can change with time and circumstances.
I remember the day after 1998 All Ireland final, Eddie Keher had a newspaper column where he suggested that Joe Errity had gotten away with charging for the goal he scored.
https://youtu.be/1mSMlPSEpMk Go to 4:00

It wouldn't be considered unusual in the current collision oriented game.
Nowadays he would be wrapped up with the spare arm instead of an attempted shoulder challenge.

Very few shoulder charges now and as you say the spare arm would be wrapped around you and pulling away at you, hence the overcarrying or is it the other way round  ;)

manfromdelmonte

And if a referee did blow up it up for the obvious charging in every game, then the likes of Cody et al would be all over the media saying 'its a man's game' and 'let them hurl' etc

johnneycool

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on June 15, 2017, 05:38:35 PM
And if a referee did blow up it up for the obvious charging in every game, then the likes of Cody et al would be all over the media saying 'its a man's game' and 'let them hurl' etc

He may have changed his tune after Wexford roughed up a lot of those KK forwards on Saturday night.

Never thought I'd say that     :o

Captain Scarlet

Moving away from that incident has anyone seen GAA Now? I am abroad now so its great to see the replays and then by that night sine games have a highlights reel up of around 2-3 mins.
Considering the analysis is so basic at time on the TV and some counties only get two mins anyway its a great resource.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

mrdeeds

O Rourke today in Independent basically says Tyrone invented defensive football. This misconception drives me mad. Tyrone were all about swarming around the player in possession and turning over the ball. This often happened in opposition's full back line. It was based on fitness and intensity. There was no move to bring players back into defensive positions. There a video on Youtube of Kerry playing Cavan in 1997 doing the exact same thing but Spillane didn't call them out for it and only years later described it as puke football when Tyrone done it.

Gael85

Quote from: mrdeeds on June 18, 2017, 01:03:07 PM
O Rourke today in Independent basically says Tyrone invented defensive football. This misconception drives me mad. Tyrone were all about swarming around the player in possession and turning over the ball. This often happened in opposition's full back line. It was based on fitness and intensity. There was no move to bring players back into defensive positions. There a video on Youtube of Kerry playing Cavan in 1997 doing the exact same thing but Spillane didn't call them out for it and only years later described it as puke football when Tyrone done it.

Pat always looks the other way when comes to Kerry's antics. Michael Donnellan was taken out 5 in All Ireland final in 2000 against Kerry and no mention of that.

Shamrock Shore

Will we see Cake this year - I miss his theories on triangles!

Gaffer

Gooch has had the teeth whitened!
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"