The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Let Joanne Cantwell present it.
Did a great job on the Olympics and knows her GAA.
Sick of Des Cahill and the 'banter' he tries (and fails) to get going with the panel.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: sambostar on August 21, 2016, 06:24:56 PM
Carr thought it shouldn't have been the black card early on for the Tipp guy because it was early in the game & it was 80 odd years since their last semi. Why do we have to listen to this b0llox
I heard that and got a great laugh from Tipperary Tom - why have a co-commentator who is a stone thrower himself btw. Another classic reason for dispensation from the rules being enforced. Imagine if yer man kicked the winner an hour later.

It reminded me of the list of other card exemptions we came up with years ago...
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=22344.msg1264798#msg1264798

Canalman

Very frustrating to see pundits still not know the first thing about the blackcard rule.

AZOffaly

It's pathetic. And it makes me suspicious that they just don't want it to work. The way they throw up their hands 'Ah sure who knows why that's not a black card' would make you sick. Because of this bullshite, you have people moaning that Lee Keegan didn't get a black card for continually pulling Quinlivan's jersey. It just annoys the shit out of me.

Robbie Kiely's black card was unfortunate, and unnecessary, but it was absolutely the right call.

Bill Maher I'm less sure about, I thought I saw an angle where he threw a punch into the stomach of McLoughlin, but I haven't seen that angle since. All I've seen is Joe.ie and other moaning about it, and showing the angle from behind the Hill 16 goals. The angle I saw was from the Canal End.

seafoid

Quote from: Jinxy on August 21, 2016, 11:33:40 PM
Sick of Des Cahill and the 'banter' he tries (and fails) to get going with the panel.
The TSG format, the one clown 2 straights setup at half time and the football championship structure are all very tired looking
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Jinxy

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 22, 2016, 09:41:15 AM
It's pathetic. And it makes me suspicious that they just don't want it to work. The way they throw up their hands 'Ah sure who knows why that's not a black card' would make you sick. Because of this bullshite, you have people moaning that Lee Keegan didn't get a black card for continually pulling Quinlivan's jersey. It just annoys the shit out of me.

Robbie Kiely's black card was unfortunate, and unnecessary, but it was absolutely the right call.

Bill Maher I'm less sure about, I thought I saw an angle where he threw a punch into the stomach of McLoughlin, but I haven't seen that angle since. All I've seen is Joe.ie and other moaning about it, and showing the angle from behind the Hill 16 goals. The angle I saw was from the Canal End.

I think a lot of what we hear on the night-time Sunday Game is basically an echo chamber for whatever the prevailing social media narrative is.
It's easier to give out and throw your hands up in the air saying, "Sure this is a joke!", than it is to form a logical and coherent argument to support your position, particularly in the soundbite era we live in.
I remember Dessie Dolan on TSG when the advantage rule was brought in saying he thought there already was an advantage rule in the official guide.
This is a fella who had just recently retired from senior intercounty football.
The more I hear & read from Tomás O'Sé, the more I'm convinced he's settling in for a cosy lifetime of bland yerrah-ness.
Look, I suppose that's the world we live in now, Des.

Tubberman

Think this is probably the angle you're talking about - looks like a fair enough red to me.
https://twitter.com/barryduf/status/767468118159548416
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

The Trap

Tommy Carr said you shouldn't get a black card so early in the game and then when Donal Vaughan got one at the end there was no point giving it then either. So the question is Tommy........during what stage of the game should you give a black card?

AZOffaly

Quote from: Tubberman on August 22, 2016, 10:48:54 AM

Think this is probably the angle you're talking about - looks like a fair enough red to me.
https://twitter.com/barryduf/status/767468118159548416

That's the one, and that's what I thought. Swinging arm, looks like a punch. Silly thing to do, and not exactly a travesty to see red for it.

Hound

Sky showed the other angle after the game. McGuinness, Horan and Canavan all agreed it was a red card.

Jinxy

A lot of people owe David Coldrick and his officials an apology.
This is EXACTLY what I was talking about above.

AZOffaly

I knew from his reaction coming off as well that it wasn't a heinous miscarriage of justice. He knew right well. Once again Sky for accuracy, RTE for soundbites.

Hound

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 22, 2016, 10:58:15 AM
I knew from his reaction coming off as well that it wasn't a heinous miscarriage of justice. He knew right well. Once again Sky for accuracy, RTE for soundbites.
I watched the after match analysis on both. It was gas the difference. The RTE lads just were ripping into Mayo, whereas the Sky lads were a lot more reasonable.

Canavan said this was nearly ideal for Mayo as they'll be completely written off, but they know they are capable of matching Dublin or Kerry given the semi final draws of the last couple of years, which would be my thinking too. McGuinness though says he would be concerned about their lack of consistency and inability so far to put in a 70 minutes performance. 

yellowcard

Jarlath, ever the politician, giving his opinion on U-21 hurling last night was funny.

yellowcard

Quote from: Jinxy on August 21, 2016, 11:33:40 PM

I thought she was very good on the Olympics as well, takes no crap. Cahill, whilst harmless enough, is a bit too sweet and if he was made of chocolate he would eat himself.