The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: Zulu on July 14, 2016, 07:02:55 PM
OJ, you're on your own here I'm afraid. The argument you're putting forward could be done (and I have) for stealing - a child stealing a bar of chocolate verses someone robbing a bank/person or any number of other things, driving over the speed limit for example. Can you explain to me why a child who steals a bar of chocolate shouldn't go to jail while someone who robs a bank should? Or perhaps you feel they both should be viewed the same?

A jersey pull is a foul and is often punished by the referee. Fouling is part of all contact sports and have been from the first time they were played. Diving is cheating and was not always part of the game. As with the examples above, you can get into the nitty gritty of what is different between a jersey pull and a dive, both are wrong but they are not the same.

Really what you are saying if a child dives it's alright, If an Adult does, its not. Pulling Jerseys to get advantage is ok! It's always been done! Diving is a new phenomenal! By new do you mean it has only happen in the last 40 years? I remember Pat Spillane diving in the 1978 AI final! Cheating to get an advantage is cheating whether it is trying to get a score or stop a score. Which was worse the Cavanagh incident v Monaghan or the O'Shea incident the last day? They are exactly the same. They both cheated to gain a possible three point advantage!

omaghjoe

Pretty much nailed it Bunker and aparently Im not the sole dissenting voice either....your wrong about one thing tho... Cavanagh's was way worse simply because Joe Brolly had a mouth frothing session over it

Jayop

Nah Cavanagh's was no where near as bad. If you're going to say that then pretty much every pull, drag, intentional foul in the game is worse than someone diving to get a penalty. That's a nonsense.

You could argue that McCann's was worse because he was trying to get a man sent off, but for me a dive for a penalty is always the worst kind of cheating in a game.

Zulu

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 14, 2016, 07:34:00 PM
Quote from: Zulu on July 14, 2016, 07:02:55 PM
OJ, you're on your own here I'm afraid. The argument you're putting forward could be done (and I have) for stealing - a child stealing a bar of chocolate verses someone robbing a bank/person or any number of other things, driving over the speed limit for example. Can you explain to me why a child who steals a bar of chocolate shouldn't go to jail while someone who robs a bank should? Or perhaps you feel they both should be viewed the same?

A jersey pull is a foul and is often punished by the referee. Fouling is part of all contact sports and have been from the first time they were played. Diving is cheating and was not always part of the game. As with the examples above, you can get into the nitty gritty of what is different between a jersey pull and a dive, both are wrong but they are not the same.

Really what you are saying if a child dives it's alright, If an Adult does, its not. Pulling Jerseys to get advantage is ok! It's always been done! Diving is a new phenomenal! By new do you mean it has only happen in the last 40 years? I remember Pat Spillane diving in the 1978 AI final! Cheating to get an advantage is cheating whether it is trying to get a score or stop a score. Which was worse the Cavanagh incident v Monaghan or the O'Shea incident the last day? They are exactly the same. They both cheated to gain a possible three point advantage!

I presume your first line is very much tongue in cheek. You're both entitled to your opinion but if the majority of Gaa supporters ever view diving as the same as pulling a jersey then I'd genuinely dispare for the game.

Jinxy

If you were to list off the top 5 most dastardly acts to ever take place on a football field, Tyrone players would occupy at least three places.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Jinxy on July 14, 2016, 09:26:34 PM
If you were to list off the top 5 most dastardly acts to ever take place on a football field, Tyrone players would occupy at least three places.

Precisely...

Brian Dooher getting himself stood on by Martin O'Connell
Peter Canavan getting himself blindsided by JOhn McDermot
Martin Sludden awarding Joe Sheridan a try

seafoid

Mick Lyons woulf have thé other 2
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Jayop

All Ireland Champions 2003
All Ireland Champions 2005
All Ireland Champions 2008

Coming down here, taking our championships??

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Jayop on July 14, 2016, 09:36:06 PM

Leave him alone, he's pitifully conflicted: before his lads kicked the winning of those All-Irelands into us in 1996 (for which we'll be eternally grateful), we'd never have been near the top of any of his lists, not even the "plucky nordie perennial loser list" ;)

And he's quite immune to biting, stamping, gouging, etc., it seems we really have messed with his mind! :)

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

omaghjoe

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 14, 2016, 10:28:13 PM

Leave him alone, he's pitifully conflicted: before his lads kicked the winning of those All-Irelands into us in 1996 (for which we'll be eternally grateful), we'd never have been near the top of any of his lists, not even the "plucky nordie perennial loser list" ;)

And he's quite immune to biting, stamping, gouging, etc., it seems we really have messed with his mind! :)

DO you ever get the impression that he somehow thinks Tyrone are to blame for Meath shitness, but he cant quite attach one to the next?

It would be an extra bonus if you could confirm this Jinxy ;)

But I suppose someone has to take up the mantle now that Main St has gone into his shell.

Fuzzman

Careful Joe not to wake Main St. He's just waiting to meet us later in the 1/4 finals so they can teach us a lesson.
You might have a point though OJ.
For years Meath and Cork were in the top 5 teams but they seem to have been replaced now with nouveau riche cheats.

seafoid

Throne would have won Sam way earlier without NI being around . Big population, no other sports in competition, sense of being ignored...
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Jayop on July 14, 2016, 09:21:51 PM
Nah Cavanagh's was no where near as bad. If you're going to say that then pretty much every pull, drag, intentional foul in the game is worse than someone diving to get a penalty. That's a nonsense.

You could argue that McCann's was worse because he was trying to get a man sent off, but for me a dive for a penalty is always the worst kind of cheating in a game.

It's hard to create a hierarchy of cheating in any game I think. Saying that, if I was a Fermanagh man, I would probably agree with you.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Mac2

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 15, 2016, 09:59:22 AM
Quote from: Jayop on July 14, 2016, 09:21:51 PM

It's hard to create a hierarchy of cheating in any game I think. Saying that, if I was a Fermanagh man, I would probably agree with you.
The idea though that O'Shea has gotten off light from RTE is nonsense, can you remember a single scenario before where an opposing manager was shown a specific incident after a match and asked to comment on it?

muppet

They would have at least 12 men around those three places.  ;)
MWWSI 2017