The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

Quote from: lenny on July 13, 2016, 08:34:14 AM
Quote from: seafoid on July 13, 2016, 08:15:55 AM
Why can't Harte and RTE bury the hatchet?
Or does being the injured party drive Throne on, Millwall style ?

Harte will never give in but his players and other members of the management team should be allowed to speak to rte after and even before games. They are shooting themselves in the foot with this team and management boycott.

Lenny, if you didn't post about Tyrone you wouldn't post at all. But I'll humour you, how are they shooting themselves in the foot? It makes no odds to the Tyrone team if they don't speak to RTE and if (rightly or wrongly) they perceive that RTE, in particular, have been unfairly critical of them (never mind the whole Mickey Harte /Micheala issue) then it's their own prerogative to speak to them or not. I'm not really sure why you are so keen to hear post match interviews from Mickey Harte or Matty Donnelly but it clearly really pisses you off for some reason as you keep banging on about it. In this age of social media Tyrone players don't need to speak to RTE to get their point across, maintain a high profile or whatever reason it is that you feel is so important. My advice would be to go to teamtalkmag.com, there's loads of interviews on there if you want to see them.
That was never a square ball!!

ciaraa

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on July 12, 2016, 10:58:04 PM
Quote from: lenny on July 12, 2016, 10:37:34 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on July 12, 2016, 10:21:56 PM
Quote from: lenny on July 12, 2016, 10:14:10 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on July 12, 2016, 10:05:10 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDb9nvzY9sY

Apparently it was not in Johnny Cooper's nature to do this.

We should all lay off Aidan O'Shea.

But Tiernan McCann should apologise.

Whelan is an excellent pundit. Very enjoyable to listen to and very fair. He went slightly over the top last year with mccanns disgraceful and disgusting play acting but he learned from that this year. There is real ambiguity about the oshea "dive" given the pictures circulating on twitter which seem to show a trip by the Fermanagh defender. Harte seems to take every opportunity he can get to bad mouth rte. He should really get over the non promotion of brian carty.

Whelan was shown up as a hypocrite last year, he was more than willing to go to town on Tyrone last year but when his own county turned out a display of thuggery he was there downplaying the incidents and his own players.

As a player he was a thug and as a pundit he is a two faced hypocrite who is willing to push the agenda of his bosses over the fair and balanced display his role should require.

I suppose you are form the same school as Whelan though given your refusal to condemn Enda Lynn's playacting last year that saw a Down man incorrectly red carded.

As for Mickey Harte, I think he has reacted with great dignity and principle after the Free State broadcaster thought it would be funny to mock his daughter's death.

If there was such an anti Tyrone agenda on rte how come this year they have received nothing but praise? The simple fact is for years under harte tyrone were the most cynical team around and masters of the dark arts. Since peter donnelly has come in tyyrone are playing a much more attractive style and they are rightly getting credit. The only agenda is an anti rte agenda from tyrone people. Hartes good friend carty didn't get promoted and harte needs to get over that.

Harte wrote a letter to RTE and RTE's response was to leak the letter and commission a skit about him with an extremely insensitive dig about his recently bereaved daughter. Anyone with any moral fibre will see that Harte and the wider Tyrone GAA community is justified in their stance with RTE.

The simple fact is that there have been other teams every bit as cynical and masters at the dark arts as Tyrone in the past few years that have got off without as much as a whisper.

Dublin have had a couple of biting allegations, gouging, behind closed doors mass brawls, two of their players up in court for assaults, guys like Cooper and McMahon regularly acting the maggot. No mud has stuck there, there is no log book being collected on Dublin's unsavoury incidents.

In fact some of the stuff which has been used as a stick to beat Tyrone has been completely erroneous, the lies spread and spread about the two minors last year, the rubbish spouted about our u21s last years. No apologies have been forthcoming about that, have they?

I don't care what they say about Tyrone, I just only care that other counties are held to the same strict scrutiny we are, which as you and I both know is not the case.

Wow - no offence mate but that's some whiney post!!

DickyRock

I wish every other county would stop doing interviews. 99.99% of them are bland and santisited to the point that they offer no insight.

Fuzzman

I think Whelan is one of the better ones on the Sunday game but definitely last year he let his Dublin bias get the better of him but at least he admitted that later on off the ball.

http://www.balls.ie/gaa/audio-ciaran-whelan-defends-himself-against-accusations-of-pro-dublin-bias/307185

Loads of lads on here who love stirring the Tyrone pot just for the sake of a reaction. Yes that can be fun at times but it also means a lot of posters hold back in saying what they really feel as they then get posts like
Wow - no offence mate but that's some whiney post!! or poor old Tyrone again, here's a tissue.

Jinxy

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 12, 2016, 10:19:16 PM
I hope to see a Tyrone Lives Matter march on the streets soon.

I have to hold my hands up and admit I'm guilty of judging people by the colour of their county jersey.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Il Bomber Destro

Harte will never give in but his players and other members of the management team should be allowed to speak to rte after and even before games. They are shooting themselves in the foot with this team and management boycott.

They are allowed. They choose not to.

longballin

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on July 13, 2016, 11:32:16 AM

that is nonsense they know they have no choice and the minute they get off the Tyrone panel go straight onto RTE despite request from Harte not to...

oakleafgael

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on July 13, 2016, 07:06:29 AM
Quote from: theticklemister on July 13, 2016, 01:17:02 AM
Lynn clearly got fingers in the eye. He went down on wan knee to recover the hit.

He did not intentionally get the fella the line. Poor decision by referee.

Tyrone supporters are a bunch of b**tards.

Is it possible to like a team and hate their supporters. I am starting to warm to the players; but no chance the supporters, although rrhf, O'Neill and the strabane lads are funny feckers.

Lynn intentionally dived, call a spade a spade.

Derry have had a few divers, the most obvious example was in 06 in Healey Park when Hinphey got Hub Hughes sent off for very little. The younger Bradley was very fond of pulling the defenders arm in as well. However, Lynn didn't dive or even look for action against his man, he got a poke in the eye and sat down on his hunkers. 

seafoid

It reminds me of the old joke about the IRA man on Mastermind

Name ? Poss
Chosen subject? Poss

Voice comes from the audience. "That's it Paddy. Tell him nothing".
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: longballin on July 13, 2016, 11:34:02 AM

that is nonsense they know they have no choice and the minute they get off the Tyrone panel go straight onto RTE despite request from Harte not to...

They have a choice. They choose not to, that fact seems to labour with you.

lenny

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on July 13, 2016, 01:19:09 PM
Quote from: longballin on July 13, 2016, 11:34:02 AM

They have a choice. They choose not to, that fact seems to labour with you.

You just keep telling yourself that. Any rational or sane person knows that they have no choice in this matter.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: oakleafgael on July 13, 2016, 11:41:11 AM
Lynn clearly got fingers in the eye. He went down on wan knee to recover the hit.

Is it possible to like a team and hate their supporters. I am starting to warm to the players; but no chance the supporters, although rrhf, O'Neill and the strabane lads are funny feckers.

Derry have had a few divers, the most obvious example was in 06 in Healey Park when Hinphey got Hub Hughes sent off for very little. The younger Bradley was very fond of pulling the defenders arm in as well. However, Lynn didn't dive or even look for action against his man, he got a poke in the eye and sat down on his hunkers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WutruR79Wcs

His eye is clearly in a different part of his face to everyone else in the world.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: OgraAnDun on July 13, 2016, 01:30:02 PM
Quote from: oakleafgael on July 13, 2016, 11:41:11 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WutruR79Wcs

His eye is clearly in a different part of his face to everyone else in the world.

The Derry men don't like having to abide by their own high standards and moral  compass.

Walter Cronc

There isn't one school, club or county side that doesn't have divers!

The problem is if the GAA don't eradicate it early doors then it will fester into the epidemic that has ruined soccer.

It's nearly impossible to police at school/club level but at this level players tend to mirror what they see on the Sunday Game. If high profile players get away with it then younger players will follow suit.

Bomber - Have you heard first hand that every single Tyrone player chooses not to engage with RTE? My guess would be Mickey has his lieutenants carry out the orders. All successful sides are run by a core group of 4-5 players.

Zulu

Discussions on diving on this board depress me because when one guy is highlighted that county's supporters often rally around him and point to other incidents. This only proves that diving is a problem NOW, not a creeping one. We even had Cian Ward (I think) of Meath equating O'Shea's dive to a defender pulling the jersey and Dessie Dolan going all soccer-speak talking about contact!! If the recently retired generation of players view diving as reasonably acceptable then what will te next generation think?

Football used to be a game that was honest at least and while some off the ball stuff couldn't be condoned, the worst excesses weren't common. Now cheating of the worst kind is a notable part of our game and instead of condemning it outright with no ifs buts or ands we defend it. I'm afraid the game is in a bad place and we need to be radical to save it.

EDIT: More mealy mouthy shite from a recently retired player, this time Billy Joe Padden -

DESPITE what some people might have you believe, it's not Aidan O'Shea's responsibility to protect the integrity and the good name of Gaelic football. That's the responsibility of the officials and the administrators.
Aidan O'Shea's responsibility is to his make sure that he does whatever he can for his team, his team-mates, and Mayo.

That's like arguing it isn't your job not to steal from your neighbours, it's the guards job to make sure you don't. In other words an abdication of responsibility for players.