The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

I agree. And in case there's any confusion about this, I am 100% behind any proper rule brought in to increase penalties for diving. 100%. This suspension, and the belief I have about why this incident was picked, is what I had the problem with.

deiseach

The most laughable thing is the idea that this will be changed via Congress. Turkeys voting for Christmas and all that.

AZOffaly

Quote from: deiseach on August 20, 2015, 10:13:56 AM
The most laughable thing is the idea that this will be changed via Congress. Turkeys voting for Christmas and all that.

Then that's the real problem. But if they are happy with the rules as they stand, then at least have the fortitude to stand behind them when Colm O'Rourke or Twitter have a pop.

Bingo

Quote from: deiseach on August 20, 2015, 10:13:56 AM

Doesn't matter anyways. They can take the rule in. First player banned under it will appeal on a loophole or technicality whereby the fada is the wrong way on the refs report or the actual rule itself contradicts an old by-law introduced in 1934 regarding the correct shade of red used by referees.

AZOffaly

We were threatened with losing a game one time, at underage, because of a technicality too. The rule was that the teamsheet had to be in Irish, and our secretary hadn't a word, so he passed it around when the team was announced and you filled it in yourself. Our wing forward decided his name as gaeilge was Pionós Mac Phric.

Overturned on appeal as well :)

BennyHarp

Quote from: Bingo on August 20, 2015, 10:11:48 AM
I don't think that there is a sport in the world that even comes close to the GAA for u-turns, suspension appeals, card appeals etc. Its farcical at this stage. Appeal it and it will change.

They have made a complete mother and father of a balls of this. Applying a ban that wouldn't hold up and then overturning the other cards. Who'd be a ref and make the big calls.

Half of what goes on in the GAA seems to be played out behind closed doors.

I've said this before but I think it's time the GAA rewrote it's whole rule book in consultation with legal experts so that every possible loop hole is closed and people getting off on technicalities because a ref ticked a wrong box or put the wrong date down, becomes a thing of the past.

Also, they need to make their decision making process much more transparent, like why the feck they decided to charge McCann in the first place, what went on for nearly 3 hours in the meeting and how they arrived at a decision to rescind a red card for a fella who blatantly punched another player. I'm glad Meyler got his black card rescinded but we need a clear explanation why this committee thought Duffy was wrong. Currently the whole thing is a pure joke and makes Sid's post regarding chocolate digestives on another thread seem highly feasible.
That was never a square ball!!

Zulu

I think congress will deal with this next year and certainly need to. The McCann suspension was never going to be upheld and may have been proposed to make it easier to get a rule through congress next year. How Meyler or Keane got off though is more perplexing. They may have been of the softer variety but the weren't ridiculous decisions based on the rule book. The reason their cards were overturned needs to be explained.

EDIT: I agree Benny.

screenexile

Quote from: Zulu on August 20, 2015, 10:49:51 AM
I think congress will deal with this next year and certainly need to. The McCann suspension was never going to be upheld and may have been proposed to make it easier to get a rule through congress next year. How Meyler or Keane got off though is more perplexing. They may have been of the softer variety but the weren't ridiculous decisions based on the rule book. The reason their cards were overturned needs to be explained.

Indeed. The Meyler one I don't understand at all he blatantly changed his run to collide with Hughes!!

I'd say it's a technicality where the video shows it was a 3rd man tackle and that he didn't actually pull Hughes down so there referee gave him the black card for the wrong offence.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: screenexileHopefully he gets a proper belt on Sunday and he won't have to dive this time!!

Lovely.  ::)

Rossfan

. How Meyler or Keane got off though is more perplexing.  The reason their cards were overturned needs to be explained.

See my comment on another thread re a new rule of thumb  - if you're still in the Championship - rescind. If you're not - Card stays.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Il Bomber Destro

Meyler's was an obvious rescind.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Bingo on August 20, 2015, 10:11:48 AM
I don't think that there is a sport in the world that even comes close to the GAA for u-turns, suspension appeals, card appeals etc. Its farcical at this stage. Appeal it and it will change.

They have made a complete mother and father of a balls of this. Applying a ban that wouldn't hold up and then overturning the other cards. Who'd be a ref and make the big calls.

Half of what goes on in the GAA seems to be played out behind closed doors.

Just a quick one on this club rugby in Ireland is the exact same, soccer doesn't seem to far behind either. Most organizations work off a framework when it comes to discipline and even precedence is open to interpretation. To me this was a test case and allows leverage for a rule change at congress.
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

CLub rugby seems a bit crazy at times too alright. Maybe we're a bit navel gazing here, but it seems a ludicrous situation. Everyone in the country (figuratively speaking) knew that this suspension would be overturned. Why on earth the CCCC didn't see this would boggle the mind.

Unless, as you say, they basically did this as a test case, so they could use the 'outrage' to bring a rule to congress. In which case they are Machiavellian beyond words :)

weejim

Quote from: screenexile on August 20, 2015, 10:52:04 AM

Indeed. The Meyler one I don't understand at all he blatantly changed his run to collide with Hughes!!

I'd say it's a technicality where the video shows it was a 3rd man tackle and that he didn't actually pull Hughes down so there referee gave him the black card for the wrong offence.
I'd say you only saw the sunday game's biased opinion of this incident.? did you not see it analysed properly on sky where they agreed(and it clearly shows) that hughes was mostly to blame as he ran across into meylers path to take him out of the play.meyler simply reacted.
therefore it should have been a black for hughes and at most a yellow for meyler who did NOT put BOTH arms around hughes to pull him down

Jell 0 Biafra

You don't need to put both arms around the opponent for a black card. You just have to deliberately pull him to the ground.