The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teo Lurley

The best pundits seem to be the ones who've done a bit of managment recently. They know more about players, tactics, how the modern game operates. Others have managed in the past or not at all and are left behind with their poor level of knowledge and analysis.

joemamas

Quote from: Hardy on June 30, 2015, 04:53:41 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 30, 2015, 04:45:09 PM
Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on June 30, 2015, 04:12:31 PM
In fairness to KMcStay hes very good to be fair, he has every detail of the game covered .................... him Whelan and ORourke would make a nice panel, Id love to see David Brady get at least one gig, Id imagine he'd be good as a roving reporter for rte ala  wooly for newstalk, just keep pitch side for the whooping and schelping

I have to say I think Newstalk's GAA coverage is miles ahead of RTE Radio and it's  even better than when Second Captains use to run it, Molloy and Gilroy just let the analysts get on with it. Great interview with Tom Cribben last night and top analysis from Wooly (knows more than his Jack the lad persona sometimes lets on) and James Horan. Horan actually claimed Dublin are playing football at a level that no team has ever played at but unlike Parkinson thinks they might be caught at AI semi stage. It was just positive stuff miles away from Brolly et al.

I agree with that, Dinny. I heard that show last night and when I thought about it I realised it's the first bit of media football talk I've listened to for years. I don't listen at all to the TV punditry on RTE. But if that's bad, the shite on the radio is even worse. Brian Carty and players from the teams playing this week "I-supposing" each other for half an hour and talking in utter banalities. Or worse, Marty Morrissey. I'm totally serious when I say I get far better football conversation in my local. And some of them are rugby heads. And they're all from Cork!

But the talk last night was utterly absorbing and informative. I was surprised Woolly made sense. Who knew? But Horan was very interesting and knowledgeable.

Have never head the show. Is there a podcast.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: joemamas on June 30, 2015, 06:01:40 PM
In fairness to KMcStay hes very good to be fair, he has every detail of the game covered .................... him Whelan and ORourke would make a nice panel, Id love to see David Brady get at least one gig, Id imagine he'd be good as a roving reporter for rte ala  wooly for newstalk, just keep pitch side for the whooping and schelping

I have to say I think Newstalk's GAA coverage is miles ahead of RTE Radio and it's  even better than when Second Captains use to run it, Molloy and Gilroy just let the analysts get on with it. Great interview with Tom Cribben last night and top analysis from Wooly (knows more than his Jack the lad persona sometimes lets on) and James Horan. Horan actually claimed Dublin are playing football at a level that no team has ever played at but unlike Parkinson thinks they might be caught at AI semi stage. It was just positive stuff miles away from Brolly et al.

I agree with that, Dinny. I heard that show last night and when I thought about it I realised it's the first bit of media football talk I've listened to for years. I don't listen at all to the TV punditry on RTE. But if that's bad, the shite on the radio is even worse. Brian Carty and players from the teams playing this week "I-supposing" each other for half an hour and talking in utter banalities. Or worse, Marty Morrissey. I'm totally serious when I say I get far better football conversation in my local. And some of them are rugby heads. And they're all from Cork!

But the talk last night was utterly absorbing and informative. I was surprised Woolly made sense. Who knew? But Horan was very interesting and knowledgeable.

There is

https://soundcloud.com/offtheball/westmeaths-huge-win-geezer-and-wooly-meet-b-dev-on-donegal

Tom Cribben interview here

http://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/Off_The_Ball/GAA_on_Off_The_Ball/95361/Tom_Cribbin_interview
#newbridgeornowhere

joemamas

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 30, 2015, 06:06:09 PM
Quote from: joemamas on June 30, 2015, 06:01:40 PM

There is

https://soundcloud.com/offtheball/westmeaths-huge-win-geezer-and-wooly-meet-b-dev-on-donegal

Tom Cribben interview here

http://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/Off_The_Ball/GAA_on_Off_The_Ball/95361/Tom_Cribbin_interview

Thanks

Jinxy

Brilliant interview with Cahir Healy a couple of weeks ago about hurling for Laois as well.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Itchy

Quote from: oakleaflad on June 30, 2015, 04:38:32 PM
There was feck all wrong with Anthony Tohill.

He was very good, the best of what RTE had. Was there a mutiny cos someone was talking sense?

Tubberman

Quote from: Jinxy on June 30, 2015, 05:30:34 PM
I like Woolly, he knows his stuff but doesn't take himself at all seriously.
Not mad about Gilroy, I think Joe Molloy is much easier to listen to.
They have a good laugh without going OTT on 'the banter' as well.

Agree with that. Gilroy tries far too hard to make it sound like they're having such a great laugh.
The others just get on with talking about football in an interesting and informative way, and having a laugh while they're at it
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Conallach

Quote from: Teo Lurley on June 30, 2015, 05:53:16 PM
The best pundits seem to be the ones who've done a bit of managment recently. They know more about players, tactics, how the modern game operates. Others have managed in the past or not at all and are left behind with their poor level of knowledge and analysis.

yeah, i've really been enjoying James Horan on Newstalk so far. Very thoughtful. Wooly's a little bit reactionary, but seems like a good guy

I tried the RTÉ GAA podcast a couple of weeks ago, after Donegal - Armagh and it was an unholy mess of regurgitated nonsense

AZOffaly

No sure about being a former manager. I think it's like everything else, some guys have a natural aptitude, whether they've managed or not, and some guys don't. Anthony Moyles and Colm Parkinson are two I like to listen to who haven't managed. James Horan is another who obviously has.

Zulu

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 01, 2015, 02:11:26 PM
No sure about being a former manager. I think it's like everything else, some guys have a natural aptitude, whether they've managed or not, and some guys don't. Anthony Moyles and Colm Parkinson are two I like to listen to who haven't managed. James Horan is another who obviously has.

Used to like Moyles but I think he is a bit of a spoofer now who invariably refers to his own career - "I remember when we were playing Wexford and it's very like that..." Surely not every game played now is a mirror image of one of his own games with Meath? Parkinson is hit and miss but is quite good as a sideline interviewer.

Jinxy

The game on Sunday was EXACTLY like the game against Wexford in 2008 that Moyles was talking about.
Everyone I met afterwards said the same thing, so he was perfectly entitled to make the comparison.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Zulu

Quote from: Jinxy on July 01, 2015, 05:45:40 PM
The game on Sunday was EXACTLY like the game against Wexford in 2008 that Moyles was talking about.
Everyone I met afterwards said the same thing, so he was perfectly entitled to make the comparison.

It wasn't the first time he referenced his own career, he does it regularly and often says nothing. Compared to McConville who can speak about a game without saying something like "I remember the time we played them in the league.... or we were once 5 points down at half time...."

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Zulu on July 01, 2015, 05:53:00 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on July 01, 2015, 05:45:40 PM

It wasn't the first time he referenced his own career, he does it regularly and often says nothing. Compared to McConville who can speak about a game without saying something like "I remember the time we played them in the league.... or we were once 5 points down at half time...."

That's funny because I think McConville is awful, talks in cliches whereas I like Moyles, his anecdotes might be personal but they tend to be relevant.
#newbridgeornowhere

Zulu

Really Dinny? I used to think he was quite good and he can at least talk, unlike McHugh for example, which is like re-sitting your French or Irish oral. But I think he says very little interesting or informative. McConville is dour sounding but I think he is interesting. Horan is very good as well IMO.

Syferus

Lookit, you can't please everyone.