The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeoMc

Should have him back on for the next Tyrone game, at least he will be able to talk with authority about diving.

Hound

Quote from: Syferus on May 25, 2015, 03:43:12 PM
Quote from: theticklemister on May 25, 2015, 03:39:15 PM
His proposal about London can be shoved up his hole

I wouldn't be in favour of it myself but ye aren't the ones spending a small fortune sending a team out to London and New York so it's very easy to sit back and throw stones when you're not footing the bill. It is an open question like it or not.
Dunno what Cake's proposal is, but my proposal is that both London and New York should be shipped around the provinces, so every county gets to travel to them.

You'd get a right big travelling support knowing that you're next foreign trip for a GAA match isn't for 16 years. New York, once every 32 years, shure you'd have to go!

Although the feckin Leinster council would probably vote for them to play in Croker when it was the Dubs turn  >:(

armaghniac

Quote from: Hound on May 26, 2015, 02:50:13 PM

I wouldn't be in favour of it myself but ye aren't the ones spending a small fortune sending a team out to London and New York so it's very easy to sit back and throw stones when you're not footing the bill. It is an open question like it or not.
Dunno what Cake's proposal is, but my proposal is that both London and New York should be shipped around the provinces, so every county gets to travel to them.

You'd get a right big travelling support knowing that you're next foreign trip for a GAA match isn't for 16 years. New York, once every 32 years, shure you'd have to go!

Although the feckin Leinster council would probably vote for them to play in Croker when it was the Dubs turn  >:(

But then New York would beat Carlow or someone and then what? Their hurlers refused to travel some years ago. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Main Street

The Dubs would certainly look like a fish out of water in Ruislip.

johnneycool

Quote from: armaghniac on May 26, 2015, 02:56:23 PM

But then New York would beat Carlow or someone and then what? Their hurlers refused to travel some years ago.

Yip, New York hurlers refused to travel over to play Antrim after they beat Derry in Gaelic park.

IIRC the reasoning was that a good few of the team had dubious visa arrangements and may have difficulty traveling back into the US!!

London don't suffer from this problem though!

muppet

Quote from: johnneycool on May 26, 2015, 03:08:56 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on May 26, 2015, 02:56:23 PM

Yip, New York hurlers refused to travel over to play Antrim after they beat Derry in Gaelic park.

IIRC the reasoning was that a good few of the team had dubious visa arrangements and may have difficulty traveling back into the US!!

London don't suffer from this problem though!

Yes and this was widely reported at the time. Considering it was easy to find out who played against Derry, they all but handed them over to the authorities.
MWWSI 2017

Rossfan

NY  were never the brightest sparks in the GAA world.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

They sent over the minors to play us in the Connacht championship a few years back at Croker. I suppose those younglings would be born in the US and would be able to get back home without problems. Does seem like the elements of the GAA in America are built on a house of cards.

Rossfan

Too much emphasis on the semi pro circus!
Good to see the likes of Eamon from this Board trying to spread the real gospel across the U. S.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

omaghjoe

I just watched the Sunday Game there last night  and poor aul Cake was chattin out of his hole

I thought a vertical pass might have been the opposite of a horizontal/ lateral pass ie. a straight pass up the field but what he highlighted wasn't even that

Regarding the triangles WTF was he on about? I thought that he was going to highlight the lads making a triangle with a passing movement but he would highlight the passer and receiver and another random fella on the pitch who had nothing to do with the play and called it a triangle.  ???

Also did he say Monaghan extrapolate the geometry of the field?

I think he must have been doing his maths homework as the same time as watching the match.

Jinxy

He would have been better off if he put away his protractor and took the time to learn the names of some of the players.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

joemamas

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 27, 2015, 05:13:14 PM
I just watched the Sunday Game there last night  and poor aul Cake was chattin out of his hole

I thought a vertical pass might have been the opposite of a horizontal/ lateral pass ie. a straight pass up the field but what he highlighted wasn't even that

Regarding the triangles WTF was he on about? I thought that he was going to highlight the lads making a triangle with a passing movement but he would highlight the passer and receiver and another random fella on the pitch who had nothing to do with the play and called it a triangle.  ???

I think he must have been doing his maths homework as the same time as watching the match.

Other than Whealan and McStay, par for the course.
often wondered what an application for a spot on that show must read like.

muppet

Quote from: theticklemister on May 26, 2015, 11:52:30 AM
I've Googled 'vertical pass football' to see what the hell a vertical pass is and here is what I got

Makes sense to me.

The Square is covering all the right angles, while Star will go down the wing in a twinkle. Triangle keeps the beat in this gig.

Piece of Cake.
MWWSI 2017

omaghjoe

To be fair and in all seriousness to Cake its not his fault he's just pointed out what was goin on

Its Malachy O'Rouke and his fancy fiddlin, Ryan Porter has probably had a hand in it to, I mind him at Maths class in school a bit of a know it all.

But then they have only simplified it from Banty's day, when thon hoor told the players the way the wanted them to run and kick the ball it was in 3d parabolic equations! Imagine you get the ball and some hoor starts shouting at ye "z = 15x2 - 236y3".   
Unsurprisingly it confused the shite outta some of the players, the rumour was Tommy Freeman was the only man that got the whole thing. But apparently Banty had every match worked out through Mathematics he just couldn't relate it to the players well enough to replicate it on the field.

So watch out if yous think Cake was bad it could be a whole lot worse if they had Banty on!

muppet

Quote from: joemamas on May 27, 2015, 08:38:13 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on May 27, 2015, 05:13:14 PM

Other than Whealan and McStay, par for the course.
often wondered what an application for a spot on that show must read like.

Here is a successful applicant doing his interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f--nttQU9P4
MWWSI 2017