The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

I believe a fella from Ballina won the lottery back in '51.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Sidney

Quote from: muppet on August 25, 2014, 11:26:48 PM
Quote from: Sidney on August 25, 2014, 11:22:05 PM
Quote from: muppet on August 25, 2014, 11:09:50 PM
Quote from: Sidney on August 25, 2014, 11:01:11 PM
How is it that Offaly and Clare didn't moan in 1998 when they were brought to Thurles instead of Croke Park? Did Dublin moan when we had to play Tipp in their own backyard in the hurling quarter-final last month?

I don't remember Donegal moaning too much in 2003 when they were brought to Castlebar for the quarter-final replay, and that's a ground Galway were far more familiar with than Kerry are with Limerick.

Which is more convenient for Kerry people? Limerick or Dublin? Is Mayo's real fear that more Kerry people might turn up because of the shorter journey?

They were quarter finals, and as for Offaly/Clare in Thurles - are you seriously comparing that to Mayo in Limerick? It is over 250kms from Belmullet ffs.

And as for the roads, I've driven on both this summer. There is no comparison. From anywhere in Mayo to Gort will be hard going. It is 212km from Ballina (via Ballinrobe - have you ever driven that road?) on AA route finder. It is longer via Claremorris.
Belmullet to Dublin is 300km. I have driven on the Ballinrobe road. But I have to ask - why would you go that way when coming from Ballina? Why would you deliberately go on a regional road and ignore the national primary route that's provided from Claremorris? It's 196km from Ballina to Limerick via Claremorris, which is the quicker way, as opposed to 203km via Ballinrobe. Do it out on Google Maps there.

Now I see the problem.

To get from Ballina to Claremorris, on good roads, you have to go via Castlebar. Most Castlebar people (Ballina people can speak for themselves) will go to Galway via Ballinrobe to avoid the bottlenecks in Tuam & Claregalway. This is the whole point and Google Maps won't show you local knowledge.
I can guarantee you I have as much and probably more local knowledge of the Galway area than you have.

How on earth do Mayo people manage to deal with bottlenecks like Ballaghadereen, Stokestown, Ballyhaunis or Castlerea when heading to Dublin? You seem to be terribly easily put off.

This gets better. You're actually trying to use distance as a reason why this game should not be in Limerick, despite it being closer than Dublin is.

Are there any maps in Mayo?

muppet

Quote from: Sidney on August 25, 2014, 11:42:40 PM
How is it that Offaly and Clare didn't moan in 1998 when they were brought to Thurles instead of Croke Park? Did Dublin moan when we had to play Tipp in their own backyard in the hurling quarter-final last month?

I don't remember Donegal moaning too much in 2003 when they were brought to Castlebar for the quarter-final replay, and that's a ground Galway were far more familiar with than Kerry are with Limerick.

Which is more convenient for Kerry people? Limerick or Dublin? Is Mayo's real fear that more Kerry people might turn up because of the shorter journey?

They were quarter finals, and as for Offaly/Clare in Thurles - are you seriously comparing that to Mayo in Limerick? It is over 250kms from Belmullet ffs.

And as for the roads, I've driven on both this summer. There is no comparison. From anywhere in Mayo to Gort will be hard going. It is 212km from Ballina (via Ballinrobe - have you ever driven that road?) on AA route finder. It is longer via Claremorris.
Belmullet to Dublin is 300km. I have driven on the Ballinrobe road. But I have to ask - why would you go that way when coming from Ballina? Why would you deliberately go on a regional road and ignore the national primary route that's provided from Claremorris? It's 196km from Ballina to Limerick via Claremorris, which is the quicker way, as opposed to 203km via Ballinrobe. Do it out on Google Maps there.

Now I see the problem.

To get from Ballina to Claremorris, on good roads, you have to go via Castlebar. Most Castlebar people (Ballina people can speak for themselves) will go to Galway via Ballinrobe to avoid the bottlenecks in Tuam & Claregalway. This is the whole point and Google Maps won't show you local knowledge.
I can guarantee you I have as much and probably more local knowledge of the Galway area than you have.

How on earth do Mayo people manage to deal with bottlenecks like Ballaghadereen, Stokestown, Ballyhaunis or Castlerea when heading to Dublin? You seem to be terribly easily put off.

This gets better. You're actually trying to use distance as a reason why this game should not be in Limerick, despite it being closer than Dublin is.

Of course you do. You, from Dublin, would have more local knowledge of Castlebar to Galway than any Castlebar man.
MWWSI 2017

Sidney

Oh and as for the journey for Clare people to Thurles not being comparable, It's 177km from Kilkee to Thurles,  mostly on back roads, which is further than Castlebar to Limerick. While it's slightly shorter for most Clare people to get to Thurles, it's a reasonably comparable journey for most of them.

If you go by your beloved N84, which seems to be your preferred route, it's 235km from Belmullet to Limerick, not 250km.

Also, it's 200km from Limerick to Dublin. That's 200km less that every Kerry person will have to drive.

Sidney

Quote from: muppet on August 25, 2014, 11:48:22 PM

Of course you do. You, from Dublin, would have more local knowledge of Castlebar to Galway than any Castlebar man.
What makes you think I wouldn't? Contrary to the you belief, some Dublin people do actually regularly travel out of Dublin, you know, and can actually be very familiar with such roads.

You on the other hand, appear to believe that Castlebar is nearer to Dublin than it is to Limerick.

Local knowledge, eh?

ballinaman

Quote from: Sidney on August 25, 2014, 11:54:13 PM
Oh and as for the journey for Clare people to Thurles not being comparable, It's 177km from Kilkee to Thurles,  mostly on back roads, which is further than Castlebar to Limerick. While it's slightly shorter for most Clare people to get to Thurles, it's a reasonably comparable journey for most of them.

If you go by your beloved N84, which seems to be your preferred route, it's 235km from Belmullet to Limerick, not 250km.

Also, it's 200km from Limerick to Dublin. That's 200km less that every Kerry person will have to drive.

Well if a car left Ballycroy  travelling at 80 km/hr and it took a man a week to work a fortnight , how many apples would there be in a barrel of grapes if he went via Claremorris?

Sidney

Quote from: ballinaman on August 26, 2014, 12:00:22 AM

Well if a car left Ballycroy  travelling at 80 km/hr and it took a man a week to work a fortnight , how many apples would there be in a barrel of grapes if he went via Claremorris?
I'll let you work that out but seeing as you're in Mayo, I must warn you that the grapes will be sour, so I don't think you'll like those apples at the end of it al.

Syferus

Quote from: Sidney on August 25, 2014, 11:42:40 PM

Now I see the problem.

What in God's name are you talking about? You seem to be totally bluffing at this stage. I've never got caught in traffic in any of those towns on a match-day and I just might have a bit more 'local knowledge' on this one that you do.

Ballagh only seriously bottlenecks on Fridays after Nathys (the secondary school) closes on week-days or if you're a fecking truck driver and get jack-knifed turning for the Castlebar road in the middle of town. Not much else causes a problem. Someone abandoning their car on Main Street or mart days are the only things that does it in Castlerea and those are never on Sundays or even Saturdays. There was work on a problem bridge between Castlerea and Ballymoe for a good stretch last year meaning there was only one lane of traffic on a section of that road for a while but I hope you're not marking that a bottleneck comparable to what will happen on Saturday.

Match-days doesn't make any of those towns major bottlenecks.

Sidney

Quote from: Syferus on August 26, 2014, 12:05:53 AM

What in God's name are you talking about? You seem to be totally bluffing at this stage. I've never got caught in traffic in any of those towns on a match-day and I just might have a bit more local knowledge on this one that you do.

Ballagh only seriously bottlenecks on Fridays after Nathys (the secondary school) closes on week-days or if you're a fecking truck driver and get jack-knifed turning for the Castlebar road in the middle of town. Not much else causes a problem. Mart days are the only thing that does it in Castlerea and those are never on Sundays or even Saturdays. There was work on a problem bridge between Castlerea and Ballymoe for a good stetch last year meaning there was only one lane of traffic on a section of that road for a while but I hope you're not marking that a bottleneck comparable to what will happen on Saturday.

If you want to talk about bluffing, let me refer you to your post where you didn't even know that Gort had been bypassed.

Syferus

Quote from: Sidney on August 26, 2014, 12:08:19 AM
Quote from: Syferus on August 26, 2014, 12:05:53 AM

What in God's name are you talking about? You seem to be totally bluffing at this stage. I've never got caught in traffic in any of those towns on a match-day and I just might have a bit more local knowledge on this one that you do.

Ballagh only seriously bottlenecks on Fridays after Nathys (the secondary school) closes on week-days or if you're a fecking truck driver and get jack-knifed turning for the Castlebar road in the middle of town. Not much else causes a problem. Mart days are the only thing that does it in Castlerea and those are never on Sundays or even Saturdays. There was work on a problem bridge between Castlerea and Ballymoe for a good stetch last year meaning there was only one lane of traffic on a section of that road for a while but I hope you're not marking that a bottleneck comparable to what will happen on Saturday.

If you want to talk about bluffing, let me refer you to your post where you didn't even know that Gort had been bypassed.

You don't seem to know that the Roscommon supporters were coming from the other side of Gort that day. Even from the other side the slip road onto the motorway is a known bottleneck. I can't wait to see what'll happen on a match-day.

muppet

Quote from: Sidney on August 25, 2014, 11:54:13 PM
;D ;D ;D ;D Please stop will ya.

Castlebar is roughly 50 miles (80kms) from each of Sligo, Galway, Roscommon and Belmullet. That makes it a handy 100 miles (160kms) from Belmullet to Galway. Are you saying it is 75km from Galway to Limerick? Because it shows up everywhere as 100km.

Exactly. And yet they want to go to Croker too.
MWWSI 2017

Sidney

Quote from: Syferus on August 26, 2014, 12:10:44 AM

You don't seem to know that the Roscommon supporters were coming from the other side of Gort that day. Even from the other side the slip road onto the motorway is a known bottleneck. I can't wait to see what'll happen on a match-day.
You don't seem to know that Mayo supporters won't be coming that way, as you said they'd be traveling the same road. They won't.

Reading all this really makes me laugh, given the flak Dublin supporters took over Thurles in 2001, because it would appear that it's actually Mayo and Roscommon people who have far more trouble finding their way to an unfamiliar place.

I truly wish you all the very best of luck negotiating your way to the uncharted wasteland that is Limerick. No doubt there should be some cracking war stories to come out of Saturday, with hordes of green and red clad men and women getting lost down back roads and getting stuck in swamps etc.

Yours in cartography,
Sidney

Sidney

Quote from: muppet on August 26, 2014, 12:14:09 AM

That's funny because I don't hear many of them moaning. Have you been talking to Mick O'Dwyer, perhaps? I know he loves driving.

If you want to take up the issue of distances, I think you better take it up with the good people at Google Maps.

Syferus

Quote from: Sidney on August 26, 2014, 12:20:28 AM
Quote from: Syferus on August 26, 2014, 12:10:44 AM

You don't seem to know that Mayo supporters won't be coming that way, as you said they'd be traveling the same road. They won't.

Reading all this really makes me laugh, given the flak Dublin supporters took over Thurles in 2001, because it would appear that it's actually Mayo and Roscommon people who have far more trouble finding their way to an unfamiliar place.

I truly wish you all the very best of luck negotiating your way to the uncharted wasteland that is Limerick. No doubt there should be some cracking war stories to come out of Saturday, with hordes of green and red clad men and women getting lost down back roads and getting stuck in swamps etc.

Yours in cartography,
Sidney

Same blockages in Gort. Same road to Limerick/Ennis.

Nevermind the possibilities for more chaos in places like Tuam and Claregalway and the like. If anything Mayo supporters will have an even worse time of it than we had in 2006.

To be honest, it's seems you're enjoying roiling up people about an inane f**k-up on the GAA's part. The more you look at it the more indefensible it is as a decision and as an excuse why Saturday week is unavailable. Imaginary potential replay trumps actually-real replay. Brill.

muppet

Quote from: Sidney on August 26, 2014, 12:26:05 AM
Quote from: muppet on August 26, 2014, 12:14:09 AM

That's funny because I don't hear many of them moaning. Have you been talking to Mick O'Dwyer, perhaps? I know he loves driving.

If you want to take up the issue of distances, I think you better take it up with the good people at Google Maps.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/mayos-appeal-against-limerick-replay-venue-likely-to-be-turned-down-283454.html

"It's an unusual one alright," said Kerry boss Eamon Fitzmaurice. "At this stage of the summer we love coming to Croke Park. We love playing in Croke Park. The players love coming up here.

As for your Google Maps, just had a look and if you go from Castlebar to Galway, it suggests the N84, as it does from Belmullet to Galway.
MWWSI 2017