The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redhand Santa

I thought they were doing their best to get Hughes from Monaghan suspended for the Dublin game at the end last night. Although he was stupid I really don't think it was that bad or needed focused on. Hoganstand are in on the act today saying he could get suspended. Considering their was punches thrown and people bitten in the Dublin Meath game which rte brushed over it would be a disgrace if anything happened.

Jinxy

Quote from: take_yer_points on August 04, 2014, 08:31:55 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on August 04, 2014, 08:20:18 PM
You sound like you will be scarred for life ,take_yer_points ,after witnessing Goold having a piss.

No, not scarred for life at all - far from it. I think it's a very strange thing to do on a football pitch, particularly when the match is live on TV and with tens of thousands of people in attendance. It's been a pet hate for years and have seen numerous people do it in club matches but never at that level.

I also find it strange that so many people think it's ok.

Why post a massive picture of it though?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

take_yer_points

Quote from: Jinxy on August 04, 2014, 10:23:19 PM
You sound like you will be scarred for life ,take_yer_points ,after witnessing Goold having a piss.

No, not scarred for life at all - far from it. I think it's a very strange thing to do on a football pitch, particularly when the match is live on TV and with tens of thousands of people in attendance. It's been a pet hate for years and have seen numerous people do it in club matches but never at that level.

Why not post a picture on the board? It's not like I took a sneaky picture when nobody knew i was doing it - it's a still picture taken from a live television broadcast. I used the picture to provide an example of something that's been a pet hate for years and to stimulate some discussion.

Someone mentioned seeing this in junior soccer previously. That's not a good comparison though - this is the highest level of GAA competition in the biggest stadium in the country - a comparison with a big match in the Aviva would be more suitable. I don't think you'd see this happening in that scenario.

Or maybe the media are complicit in hiding it from television viewers in the Aviva as well as in Croke as someone suggested.

WT4E

Only just saw the McHugh incident and whilst I don't agree with what he said - I'm coming at it from a different angle.

That puke des Cahill showed up his unprofessionalism. As the anchor he had no need to jump in and tell his panelists what he thought of mc highs analysis - he sould of let McStay and earley deal with it. Which they tried to but where overpowered by Cahill the attention seeker!

He's useless at this job!!!!

From the Bunker

Quote from: WT4E on August 04, 2014, 11:58:40 PM
Only just saw the McHugh incident and whilst I don't agree with what he said - I'm coming at it from a different angle.

That puke des Cahill showed up his unprofessionalism. As the anchor he had no need to jump in and tell his panelists what he thought of mc highs analysis - he sould of let McStay and earley deal with it. Which they tried to but where overpowered by Cahill the attention seeker!

He's no Bill O'Herilihy!

balladmaker

QuoteJust watched last nights Sunday game and all I can say is that Martin McHugh is some pup. Either he is a complete wind up merchant or he seriously has no clue about GAA. To call the gooch a two trick pony is as daft as I've heard.
Do any of you notice that he rarely answers what he's asked and simply says "It's interesting,, if ya look at it..." and then makes some random off the wall statement about his view or he was chatting so and so (name drop, name drop). His analysis is appalling.. but his wild statements were entertaining at least. Is he trying to join the outlandish Spillane and Brolly circus?

I'm not in a position to judge the quality of his analysis, as I find it very difficult to make out what he is saying ... a mumble, jumble most of the time.  RTE need to take a long, hard look at what passes as an analyst on these shows.

Keyser soze

Quote from: take_yer_points on August 04, 2014, 10:40:28 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on August 04, 2014, 10:23:19 PM

Why not post a picture on the board? It's not like I took a sneaky picture when nobody knew i was doing it - it's a still picture taken from a live television broadcast. I used the picture to provide an example of something that's been a pet hate for years and to stimulate some discussion.

Someone mentioned seeing this in junior soccer previously. That's not a good comparison though - this is the highest level of GAA competition in the biggest stadium in the country - a comparison with a big match in the Aviva would be more suitable. I don't think you'd see this happening in that scenario.

Or maybe the media are complicit in hiding it from television viewers in the Aviva as well as in Croke as someone suggested.

You posted a picture and called the player a dirtbag you arsehole. You patently obviously have never been on a pitch on your life if you dont know that this doesnt happen at every sporting venue in the world across all codes.

You were claiming you pulled team mates for this in the past. Musta been in the park when someone attempted to piss on your jersey which was being used as goalpost cause in any sort of a serious game if someone started berating a teammate for having a piss they'd soon be told to shut the f**k up and focus on something serious, like for instance the game theyre about to play!

Msgr. Horan

Quote from: balladmaker on August 05, 2014, 10:34:54 AM
QuoteJust watched last nights Sunday game and all I can say is that Martin McHugh is some pup. Either he is a complete wind up merchant or he seriously has no clue about GAA. To call the gooch a two trick pony is as daft as I've heard.
Do any of you notice that he rarely answers what he's asked and simply says "It's interesting,, if ya look at it..." and then makes some random off the wall statement about his view or he was chatting so and so (name drop, name drop). His analysis is appalling.. but his wild statements were entertaining at least. Is he trying to join the outlandish Spillane and Brolly circus?

I'm not in a position to judge the quality of his analysis, as I find it very difficult to make out what he is saying ... a mumble, jumble most of the time.  RTE need to take a long, hard look at what passes as an analyst on these shows.
"This coleslaw has cheese in it"
Callanan does him great in fairness

Main Street

Quote from: balladmaker on August 05, 2014, 10:34:54 AM

McHugh doesn't answer the question, he rambles incoherently about some other point, with no sentence structure, no beginning, no middle but there is an end, that's when he just gets stuck someplace and stops. 
But that's not what annoys me, it's that he's so insecure with himself that he feels compelled to put others down that he has to work into his ramblings some unconnected sarcastic jibe. 

yellowcard

Quote from: WT4E on August 04, 2014, 11:58:40 PM

Agree with this on Cahill. He is not there to offer an opinion and a good anchor would have provoked a debate amongst the other analysts. I didn't agree with what McHugh said but that wasn't for Cahill to pass judgement on. He is no Bill O'Herlihy or indeed Michael Lyster.

I wouldn't say he is USELESS at his job but he is definitely brave and fond of himself and should stay out of offering his own opinion when its not his job.

imtommygunn

Cahill courts controversy for a few headlines. That's what he was at with Eamon O'Hara and he tried it on Donal Og. You could see the beaming smile on him when McHugh said this as if "yes we've got a headline".

He seems more of the mould of tabloid anchor - get me a headline - and not a man who will engage debate.

McHugh, Splllane and Brolly shouldn't be near the roles they're in. Tomas O'Se is good - not so sure about Earley yet - and to be honest McStay isn't too bad despite sounding a bit whiny...

yellowcard

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 05, 2014, 12:33:35 PM
Cahill courts controversy for a few headlines. That's what he was at with Eamon O'Hara and he tried it on Donal Og. You could see the beaming smile on him when McHugh said this as if "yes we've got a headline".

He seems more of the mould of tabloid anchor - get me a headline - and not a man who will engage debate.

McHugh, Splllane and Brolly shouldn't be near the roles they're in. Tomas O'Se is good - not so sure about Earley yet - and to be honest McStay isn't too bad despite sounding a bit whiny...

Yeah, Cahill does do smugness very well. Tomas O'Se is the best addition for a while in terms of pundits, I think he is more in tune with the average GAA supporter than most other fellows who are only interested in their own self publicity and egos. 

Armamike

The Sunday Game is laughably inept. There were 3 major bloopers - got the Monaghan championship record badly badly wrong, the Mallon brothers thing was cringeworthy (McHugh could really have embarrassed them if he had spoke up), and McHugh's spake on Cooper was absurd. If he has two tricks (whatever that means) they're two very decent tricks. 

That's just, like your opinion man.

mackers

In fairness Ciaran Whelan is very good too.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Syferus

Eh? Peter Cavanan and Darragh O'Se? Two of the best footballers of the past quarter century?