The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: orangeman on June 10, 2014, 10:27:23 AM
Ok Joe does go OTT at times but he is a good reader and he's not bland or boring. He usually is prepared to tell it the way it is, warts and all.

But that's the point. He doesn't tell it 'The way it is'. He tells it the way he thinks will generate most publicity/controversy. Whether he does that out of divilment or out of a sense of self promotion is a moot point, but the effect is that he is hyperbolic, insulting and ignorant in his studio behaviour. The fact that he changes his opinion and his favourite hobby horse more often than some people change their clothes is just the cherry on top.

imtommygunn

Exactly - always a personal slant on things and not an objective analysis. He doesn't like Mayo, he loved the way Tyrone played for a while but doesn't like them now, he's not a fan of Cavanagh etc etc. All personal things. How can he objectively analyse a Mayo game when he quite clearly dislikes them? Also the dubs can do no wrong. I'm not sure where he sits with Donegal or Cork at present but he'll decide after a game or two whether he likes them or not and no matter what positive or negative they do after that it won't matter.

J OGorman

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 10, 2014, 11:03:45 AM
Exactly - always a personal slant on things and not an objective analysis. He doesn't like Mayo, he loved the way Tyrone played for a while but doesn't like them now, he's not a fan of Cavanagh etc etc. All personal things. How can he objectively analyse a Mayo game when he quite clearly dislikes them? Also the dubs can do no wrong. I'm not sure where he sits with Donegal or Cork at present but he'll decide after a game or two whether he likes them or not and no matter what positive or negative they do after that it won't matter.

Is that not what we all do though? Liking another team for me, is very much based on the way they play and how they conduct themselves. It changes...eg Donegal, I'm from Donegal stock, bar myself, all my family live in Donegal, but presently I'd have nothing to do with them. Tyrone, no chance usually but I was behind them in the 2008 final as I thought they played unreal football (still feel dirty though). I've always had a soft spot for Mayo, but if they set up next year like Donegal, well, ye know the craic. How could anyone who loves the game not enjoy Dublin at the minute? All out attack, whats not to love about that?
Joe is a fan of the football counties play, not the county itself.

Rossfan

Why can't they just tell us why team A won and team B lost, what tactics were used etc and leave it at that.
Also more action and less waffle all round please.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

imtommygunn

We're not paid to analyse games though....

I actually don't share the same disdain for Donegal a lot seem to. When they're going well the speed they break with is a joy to watch. When they're not however...

Main Street

Quote from: orangeman on June 10, 2014, 10:27:23 AM
Ok Joe does go OTT at times but he is a good reader and he's not bland or boring. He usually is prepared to tell it the way it is, warts and all.
Goes OTT at times?  going OTT at times this last Sunday covers a lot, including being openly rude and disrespectful, making mocking clownish gestures with his face and hands while another pundit is speaking. He has no restraint and no self discipline.
OTT for Joe is cringeworthy and an embarrassment for GAA tv coverage.
How is that sort of behaviour regarded as entertainment?
I just want to listen to their views on the game regardless if I agree with them or not, apart from having a hidden desire that Spillane  will one day deck Joe with a few face slaps.

Possibly Joe has been nerve damaged, he has no boundaries,  not unlike a serious enough ADHD-H condition.

Billys Boots

Quote from: Jinxy on June 10, 2014, 10:01:27 AM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on June 10, 2014, 09:29:54 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on June 09, 2014, 04:35:21 PM
Why is Colm always lumped in with the other two?
They should keep him as senior analyst and get some young lad alongside him who knows how to work an iPad.

What exactly does O'Rourke offer? He's like an aul granddad in the corner that you have to give a nudge every while to make sure he's still breathing.

Have manners you pup.
That's one of the top 5 Meathmen of all time you're talking about.

Except he's from Leitrim.  ::)
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Hardy

Quote from: Billys Boots on June 10, 2014, 12:41:47 PM
They should keep him as senior analyst and get some young lad alongside him who knows how to work an iPad.

What exactly does O'Rourke offer? He's like an aul granddad in the corner that you have to give a nudge every while to make sure he's still breathing.

Have manners you pup.

And Sir Bob Geldof is from Dublin.
(Colm is from Skryne for football purposes.)

muppet

Quote from: Hardy on June 10, 2014, 12:45:38 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on June 10, 2014, 12:41:47 PM

Have manners you pup.

And Sir Bob Geldof is from Dublin.
(Colm is from Skryne for football purposes.)

Yes and Mayo needed to 'own' points from a Rossie to win on Sunday.
MWWSI 2017

Beantown

As for The Sunday Game on a Sunday night, can RTE do something about Des Cahill ?? Good god!!!!
Described Brendan Cummings as "bodacious " !!!!!! Dunno what he said about loughnane cos I fell over laughing and then described something with O Se and whelan as "shaq a lack a boom boom"

Come on RTE !!!! It's getting embarrassing.....

Maybe he has them over a barrel for the hair dye and fake tan!

BennyHarp

Quote from: whiskeysteve on June 10, 2014, 09:42:24 AM
whether you like Joe Trolly or loathe him is much of a muchness, until he ultimately goes too far in some regard he pulls in more viewers than he alienates, is arguably one of the most creatively provocative and high profile sports figures in Ireland, pulls in the viewing figures and that's that.

Don't understand why O'Rourke gets lumped in by association with the other 2. If he wasn't there it would be worse.

Spillane functioning neither as the insightful, analytical pundit or as the shock jock - sounds very stale and tired and must be the pick of the 3 for a change up.

Who are these people who aren't interested in watching the match but tune in to watch Joe Brolly's analysis? Do they really exist?
That was never a square ball!!

5 Sams

Quote from: Beantown on June 10, 2014, 08:14:18 PM
As for The Sunday Game on a Sunday night, can RTE do something about Des Cahill ?? Good god!!!!
Described Brendan Cummings as "bodacious " !!!!!! Dunno what he said about loughnane cos I fell over laughing and then described something with O Se and whelan as "shaq a lack a boom boom"

http://www.livegaelic.com/craic/vines-des-cahills-legendary-word-challenge-epic/
The Aristocrat Years

Beantown

Quote from: 5 Sams on June 10, 2014, 08:54:09 PM

http://www.livegaelic.com/craic/vines-des-cahills-legendary-word-challenge-epic/

Mmmmm, maybe Understated, professional, and host ( not star! ) could be used next week...

Beantown

Oh and thanks 5Sams.. Was wondering why..

Kidder81

Quote from: Beantown on June 10, 2014, 09:17:39 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on June 10, 2014, 08:54:09 PM

Mmmmm, maybe Understated, professional, and host ( not star! ) could be used next week...

If this is how they are taking on Sky god help them. Cahill is a gormless plank.