The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beantown

Fermoy Early is a welcome addition this year... Knows his stuff and easy to listen to

Jinxy

That was an excellent point by McStay about the hopping ball into the FF line.
It used really wind me up when people would be talking about that IR muck saying the Irish lads couldn't pass the ball properly.
The perfect ball into the FF line in Gaelic football will get a lad killed in IR, as the perfect ball hops before it gets to the forward.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Syferus

Quote from: Beantown on July 07, 2013, 11:05:10 PM
Fermoy Early is a welcome addition this year... Knows his stuff and easy to listen to

Conor Counihan can only hope.

Beantown

Fermoy ???? Damn predictive txt!! Haha.. Of course I know it's the great Dermot Early!

macdanger2

Quote from: Jinxy on July 07, 2013, 11:08:11 PM
It used really wind me up when people would be talking about that IR muck saying the Irish lads couldn't pass the ball properly.
The perfect ball into the FF line in Gaelic football will get a lad killed in IR, as the perfect ball hops before it gets to the forward.

True that it's the perfect pass but not a prayer of having that kind of space against a packed defence. Against the likes of Donegal, you'll need to play the ball straight into the chest, they won't allow teams to hop balls in in front of their forwards

Fuzzman

Yes I think accurate kick passing has become harder with the swarm defences. It's part of the reason so many teams choose the short ball game now to keep possession as often a pass in front of a forward will get swept up quite easily nowadays.

Interestingly, this topic made me have a look at the top scorers this season as I wondered would the big star names be suffering with the more tactically aware defences in operation.
http://www.gaa.ie/fixtures-and-results/championship-top-scorers/

Goulding the only one there you would expect to see.

Jinxy

Quote from: macdanger2 on July 08, 2013, 05:22:12 PM

True that it's the perfect pass but not a prayer of having that kind of space against a packed defence. Against the likes of Donegal, you'll need to play the ball straight into the chest, they won't allow teams to hop balls in in front of their forwards

I disagree.
I think a Donegal type defence would much rather the ball played straight into the fowards chest.
Much easier to get the hand in or unbalance the forward, plus he has to move out to the ball as opposed to the hopping ball which he can take to the side.
Besides, if you can play it into his chest you can put it hopping in front of him.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

seafoid

Quote from: Jinxy on July 09, 2013, 01:56:05 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on July 08, 2013, 05:22:12 PM

I disagree.
I think a Donegal type defence would much rather the ball played straight into the fowards chest.
Much easier to get the hand in or unbalance the forward, plus he has to move out to the ball as opposed to the hopping ball which he can take to the side.
Besides, if you can play it into his chest you can put it hopping in front of him.
Have the Donegal players not been programmed with GPS ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

the Deel Rover

The difference between the hurling analyst and football boys is like night and day . Spillane,O' Rourke and Brolly should be made watch the Hurling lads and see what true analysis is like without bitching , or insulting fellow gaa men.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Syferus

Quote from: the Deel Rover on July 14, 2013, 06:11:38 PM
The difference between the hurling analyst and football boys is like night and day . Spillane,O' Rourke and Brolly should be made watch the Hurling lads and see what true analysis is like without bitching , or insulting fellow gaa men.

You forgot about D. Brady :-*

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Syferus on July 14, 2013, 06:12:36 PM

There was no sign of him today syferus had to listen to that tool Hayes instead  ;) ;D
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

Syferus

Quote from: the Deel Rover on July 14, 2013, 06:14:55 PM

There was no sign of him today syferus had to listen to that tool Hayes instead  ;) ;D

I forgot how big Hayes is. Made young Darragh look like a child out with his father.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Syferus on July 14, 2013, 06:16:10 PM
Quote from: the Deel Rover on July 14, 2013, 06:14:55 PM

I forgot how big Hayes is. Makes young Darragh look like a child out with his father.

Was thinking the same thing myself . How tall would Darragh  be ?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

Itchy

I think Darragh is 6'2".

omagh_gael

That was the first time in ages that I sat and watched a hurling match with full preview, half time analysis and apres match discussion. It was a real breath of fresh air. No bitching, no negativity and no running players/managers into the ground. Now it wasn't the best match I have ever seen but all the pundits provided a worthwile insight which was both informative and entertaining. As mentioned already the football guys could learn a lot from Loughnane, Sheedy etc.