The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

Quote from: ck on June 11, 2013, 12:35:36 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on June 11, 2013, 10:41:38 AM
Quote from: ck on June 11, 2013, 07:19:41 AM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on June 10, 2013, 10:51:27 PM
Brolly,Spillane are attention seekers they use analysis to hype themselves up. Eamon Dunphy does it on soccer and George Hook on rugby however RTE shouldn't allow it for GAA coverage.

Why should RTE not allow it for GAA coverage? Why would GAA be any different??
Bottom line is that viewing figures are higher when you have a degree of controversy and RTE only care about viewing figures. Once RTE get over themselves with the patronising efforts to bring in minorities (Lee Chin and loosing managers) normal service will resume and Spillane and Brolly will be united once again!

Can you not see a difference between heavily criticising Paul Grimley for example on National television and criticising the massively well paid Giovanni Trappatoni or Declan Kidney?

Of course I can, fair point. However what do we as an audience want, patronising dribble stating that we are all GAA men and doing our best etc. Or do we accept that if you take on a high profile managers job then you are accepting scrutiny and you are up there to be shot at. Brolly was slightly indulging however all he actually said was that Grimley was out of his depth. No matter how you look at it, it's hard to argue with that point. Brolly usually can back up his criticism with strong evidence and deep understanding, Spillane can't.
Your point stands however and perhaps there are limits we should accept. I for one, am keen on Brollys views, strong or otherwise, as I believe him to be genuine and not just tryin to be sensationalist like Spillane.

Constructive criticism should be part of any after match analysis however Brolly,Spillane don't do that and forget its amateur sport. They try to copy pundits criticising professional athletics and all of this is only for their own personal gain. The Sunday game would be a better watch without those attention seekers.

Zulu

Moaning on the airwaves is not going to improve anything, it'll more than likely do the exact opposite. Saying a 20 year old whose starting on an IC team capable if making a Leinster final will never be more than an average footballer is both insulting and premature. I would imagine it will have the effect of pushing Lee towards the footballers if a choice has to be made.

johnneycool

Quote from: Zulu on June 12, 2013, 01:00:24 PM
Moaning on the airwaves is not going to improve anything, it'll more than likely do the exact opposite. Saying a 20 year old whose starting on an IC team capable if making a Leinster final will never be more than an average footballer is both insulting and premature. I would imagine it will have the effect of pushing Lee towards the footballers if a choice has to be made.

I'd agree he didn't need to make that comment, totally unnecessary and probably counterproductive if he wants Chin to throw his lot in with the hurlers.

That said he's a panel of 30 or so he needs to be seen to be fair to and if Chin was to receive any special treatment due to his dual commitments then that's going to cause him problems down the line. The press love to latch onto dual players, anything out of the ordinary and Chin ticks quite a few boxes for them in that regard, Dunne needs to treat him the same as the rest irrespective of the side show that comes with him.

Zulu

Perhaps but I also think the players will accept accommodating guys who can make a difference to their team. It's not as if he is boozing it up or even playing soccer or rugby in preference to committing to hurling. In dual counties you either state you'll accept nothing other than total commitment or you accommodate dual players. If you look for total commitment you need to know you are in a position to do so and Dunne isn't. He had to chase a lot of the footballers so he should tread lightly IMO or he'll be without them soon again.

AZOffaly

I'm surprised Dont Matter hasn't picked up on Liam Dunne's post match comment on RTE about the money Dublin get, and how he'd love some of it for counties like Wexford (and I think he said Offaly as well).

Jinxy

Did Liam Dunne pass some remark about Conal Keaney as he walked past while Dunne was being interviewed after the match?
He's making a right tit of himself the last few days.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: hardstation on June 16, 2013, 10:01:54 PM
Ricey!

i thought it was thon boy Parkinson that used to play for Leesh until Cahill said who it was !
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Tubberman

He's no orator in fairness! Seems like a decent fella though, not like his on-field persona ;)
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Wildweasel74

he and seamus o`shea bringing attention to eye brows the nite lol

EC Unique

He looks better on the radio!

Hoof Hearted

Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

RMDrive

BennyHarp

Quote from: RMDrive on June 17, 2013, 10:37:35 AM
Quote from: Hoof Hearted on June 17, 2013, 10:20:20 AM
http://gaeliclife.com/2013/06/joe-brolly-nothing-wrong-with-my-punditry-style/

Jesus wept. Everything that's wrong with RTE's GAA analysis is right there in that article. Clown.

So Joe has anlaysed his own performance as a pundit and came to the conclusion that he is brilliant - there's a surprise!

He thinks he's the voice of the people because some 50 year old man beeps at him in the street in Lurgan and tells him he's brilliant. That person's view is taken on board by the bould Joe but anybody criticising him is "nonsensical". An entertaining man, but he's more suited to Apres Match than The Sunday Game.
That was never a square ball!!

orangeman

Brolly isn't afraid to speak his mind - whether he's right or wrong is neither here nor there.

Some bits in that article are hilarious -

Which brings me to the first rule of punditry: If it is something you would shout at the telly, then have the balls to say it on the telly. And when the Grimley twins appear over the back wall, run... -

BennyHarp

Quote from: orangeman on June 17, 2013, 11:42:57 AM
Brolly isn't afriad to speak his mind - whether he's right or wrong is neither here nor there.

Some bits in that article are hilarious -

Which brings me to the first rule of punditry: If it is something you would shout at the telly, then have the balls to say it on the telly. And when the Grimley twins appear over the back wall, run... -

Like i said - Apres Match stuff!
That was never a square ball!!